What's going on with Briarwood?

Closed Thread
Old 06-12-2023, 12:58 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,091 Times in 298 Posts
Default What's going on with Briarwood?

Anybody know what's going on with Briarwood? It's our favorite course, and has always been in great shape, even during the high season. But now it's been closed for weeks, and for some reason, they seem to have intentionally killed off all the grass on the greens and tees. It borders my neighborhood, and I walk by every other day or so with my dog, but I don't see anyone working on it, other than to mow the fairways. It'll take a year or more to recover, after they re-sod all that grass. What the heck is going on?
Old 06-12-2023, 04:07 PM
Veteran member
Default Briarwood info from the districtgov.org website

Briarwood Executive Golf Course
Following Committee approval, the Briarwood Executive Golf Course will be closed for renovation until further notice. Renovations to the course will include new greens, tees and fairways as well as bunker, landscaping and cart path enhancements.
Old 06-12-2023, 05:08 PM
Veteran member

Well, there you go, I guess. Odd that they'd spend the renovation money on a course on the north side that didn't need it, instead of one of those down south that get lots of complaints. It makes me wonder if it's really about the drought, although the ponds seem to fill back up after every rain, same as always. But if they're "renovating", why isn't anyone working on it? It's a puzzle!
Old 06-12-2023, 05:12 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblaze View Post
Well, there you go, I guess. Odd that they'd spend the renovation money on a course on the north side that didn't need it, instead of one of those down south that get lots of complaints. It makes me wonder if it's really about the drought, although the ponds seem to fill back up after every rain, same as always. But if they're "renovating", why isn't anyone working on it? It's a puzzle!
Well. Look at Walnut Grove. Aerated, punched, and sanded greens right on schedule despite the fact the greens were in great condition the week before.
Old 06-12-2023, 07:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
I think you are complaining to the wrong people.
Try here :
Executive Golf Maintenance
1026 Canal Street
The Villages, FL 32162
Phone: 352-674-1885
Old 06-12-2023, 07:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,089 Times in 2,750 Posts

Quote:
Well, there you go, I guess. Odd that they'd spend the renovation money on a course on the north side that didn't need it, instead of one of those down south that get lots of complaints.
Amenity Authority Committee versus Project Wide Advisory Committee
Old 06-12-2023, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
Well. Look at Walnut Grove. Aerated, punched, and sanded greens right on schedule despite the fact the greens were in great condition the week before.
Basic golf agronomy at work.
Old 06-13-2023, 06:13 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Try here :
1026 Canal Street
The Villages, FL 32162
I'm not complaining. I can play Walnut Grove any time I want (at least until the snowbirds come back). I'm just asking if anybody knows the real reason. "Closed for renovations until further notice" when renovations are not happening (or needed), is not a valid reason, but it's the exact thing "Executive Golf Maintenance" is sure to tell me if I call to ask.

Have you ever seen a golf course intentionally kill off all of the greens and tees in order to "renovate"? That's just weird.

I wondered if maybe they didn't have enough water to keep all the courses watered. Or maybe they decided it was unfair that us Northies can get a tee time so easily in March, so they're going to turn it into another tortoise sanctuary.

It's just a mystery and I'm curious.
Old 06-13-2023, 06:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
I'm not complaining. I can play Walnut Grove any time I want (at least until the snowbirds come back). I'm just asking if anybody knows the real reason. "Closed for renovations until further notice" when renovations are not happening (or needed), is not a valid reason, but it's the exact thing "Executive Golf Maintenance" is sure to tell me if I call to ask.

Have you ever seen a golf course intentionally kill off all of the greens and tees in order to "renovate"? That's just weird.

I wondered if maybe they didn't have enough water to keep all the courses watered. Or maybe they decided it was unfair that us Northies can get a tee time so easily in March, so they're going to turn it into another tortoise sanctuary.

It's just a mystery and I'm curious.
Have seen grass killed off on other courses…………not weird.
Old 06-13-2023, 07:18 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mayes View Post
Basic golf agronomy at work.
My only question was is the schedule so inflexible?
Old 06-13-2023, 07:38 AM

The closed Continental Country Club last summer to do new greens and tee boxes. This isn't like building a house where you can stage contractors on top of each other to get it done quickly, it all takes time to do it right. Sod doesn't work well on greens, so they have to seed the area once the old growth is removed. Not sure if they will be making any soil or contour changes.... I was told at CCC they removed the old greens that were good and used that as sod for the tee boxes, then brought in some good soil, seeded and waiting a few months while watering the heck out of it....
Old 06-13-2023, 11:20 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts
Default Common sense reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Try here :
1026 Canal Street
The Villages, FL 32162
Once again, common sense and a link reply from Bogie. Although nothing wrong with asking for info on TOTV. I agree with the OP and others who regularly play the executive courses, there appears to be several executive courses in much much worse shape IMHO than this particular golf course. Who knows what the selection process (criterion) might be for executive course renovations in The Villages? You might get an answer from the link provided or maybe not.

Last edited by justjim; 06-13-2023 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Formation
Old 06-13-2023, 11:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,383 Times in 2,521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
Once again, common sense and a link reply from Bogie. Although nothing wrong with asking for info on TOTV. I agree with the OP and others who regularly play the executive courses, there appears to be several executive courses in much much worse shape IMHO than this particular golf course. Who knows what the selection process (criterion) might be for executive course renovations in The Villages? You might get an answer from the link provided or maybe not.
Different courses have different teams of workers.
Some are green keepers, and others cut grass.
Old 06-13-2023, 04:22 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Agree 100%. Briarwood was one of the best conditioned exec courses in TV. Dela Vista is terrible
Old 06-13-2023, 04:24 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
Like it or not, aeration is usually done(and should be) when greens are in best shape.
Closed Thread

Tags
grass, briarwood, walk, heck, day

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.