What's a "good" score on the Executive courses?

Old 04-18-2024, 05:50 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChip72 View Post
Have been playing down here for a couple of years but I still can't really gauge how a score on the Executives would equate vs "Breaking 100" or "Breaking 90" does anyone have any insight? For example, if I score a 38 on one with 2 par 4's it seems like I did "ok" but I can't really tell what that's equivalent to.
Your question as to what is a good score can really only be answered he individual golfer. First, you are encouraged to tee off from a tee box that is compatible with your ability. Second, you are playing with course rules that are very liberal but designed to keep the game moving. Ball drops that are conveniently placed close to the greens, not in accordance with normal golf rules. Limits to the amount of shots allowed per hole. And then there are your own rules, do overs, give-me putts, penalties for out of bounds, etc. Whatever rules you pick and stay with can establish your norm. If you have a round that is better than your norm, great. Over time you may decide to move to a closer Tee box. New norm.
Old 04-18-2024, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ SLIM View Post
I think that loosing less than 3 balls is a good score.
The golf course giveth and the golf course taketh. An average player can hope to leave with the same, or more, golf balls than he started with.
Old 04-19-2024, 09:47 AM
Default Scoring

Quote:
Have been playing down here for a couple of years but I still can't really gauge how a score on the Executives would equate vs "Breaking 100" or "Breaking 90" does anyone have any insight? For example, if I score a 38 on one with 2 par 4's it seems like I did "ok" but I can't really tell what that's equivalent to.
Been back at golf about a year now and seem to be settling back into about the same level of play that I had a few decades ago prior to having the short game yips take over and run me out of the game.

I'm about to conclude that I tend to average about the same number of strokes over par (rarely at or even under) for nine holes on an executive course as I did when playing on "championship" courses with a similarly wide range between the "good" days and the "bad" days. I would *not* be making those same scores now from the same tees that I played back in the olden days. Time wounds all heels.
Old 04-19-2024, 05:08 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
Par is a great score; bogey golf (9 over par) is a good score. If you shoot 38 on a course that is par 29, you are playing well.

Championship courses are usually par 72 so breaking 90 is playing one under bogey golf. Executive courses are 9 holes and mostly par 3 holes so breaking 100 or breaking 90 isn’t comparable.

Most golfers don’t break 90 on a regulation course. It might be a little easier to break 36 on an executive course because the holes are shorter and you don’t have to drive the ball 200-250 yards. But you still have to putt!!

How Many Golfers Break 90? | Golf Monthly
Good score is subjective. A really good golfer can shoot 1-3 over par and that might be a good score for that person. To an average golfer 1 over par for each hole might be good, Set your own goals and try to play to that level or better.
Old 04-19-2024, 08:20 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkingston57 View Post
Good score is subjective. A really good golfer can shoot 1-3 over par and that might be a good score for that person. To an average golfer 1 over par for each hole might be good, Set your own goals and try to play to that level or better.
I feel like with the Executives in TV it's starting to look like breaking 40 is sort of like breaking 100 and breaking 35 is like breaking 90. (roughly)
Old 04-20-2024, 10:05 AM
Default Disgust levels

Quote:
I feel like with the Executives in TV it's starting to look like breaking 40 is sort of like breaking 100 and breaking 35 is like breaking 90. (roughly)
That 35 and 90 sounds like the right ballpark to me, too, thinking of it in terms of my level of disgust for the failure of either occurrence. :-)
Old 04-20-2024, 05:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,102 Times in 2,757 Posts

A good score is better than your average, a great score is your new all time low.
Old 04-21-2024, 06:49 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASage View Post
I heard that the Executive Courses will be rated by USGA certified course raters (I do this in the Midwest in the summer). If so, you will be able to establish a handicap that will be a measure of your proficiency.
This has already occurred. For the life of me, I wonder how this will work.

Tags
breaking, score, executives, equate, gauge

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.