What's with these greens??

Closed Thread
Old 06-15-2014, 04:32 AM

Why doesn't someone from course management reply on this thread and tell us what is going on with the greens? I have heard from other golfers that there are 5 different things wrong(fungus,critters,etc)
Old 06-15-2014, 05:10 AM
Sage

Maybe the courses are overwatered? I live on a course and nobody is stopping the sprinklers from coming on in the night on the same day there was a gully washer storm.
Combine that with overmowing. Nobody looks to see if the grass has actually grown since it was mowed last. Like clockwork. They mow bare soil in front of my house, making sure to mash the soil around every inch of what turf is left with the mower tires.

Just griping, don't really know...
http://gsr.lib.msu.edu/1990s/1992/920901.pdf
Old 06-15-2014, 10:32 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

I was on El Diablo yesterday and it looks like the sixth hole green is recovering slowly but surely.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
I was on El Diablo yesterday and it looks like the sixth hole green is recovering slowly but surely.
That's another thing. Grass is a living, growing changing organism. It will come back. Unless it is completely killed, it always comes back.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:58 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Regarding over-mowing, I was told by someone who is familiar with the situation, that the golf course maintenance contracts are written up in such a manner that the fairways get mowed "X" amount of times per week. The contractors do that, whether or not the fairways need it, because its in the contract and they want to get paid. When you contract out the work, the courses aren't going to get the personalized care that our courses up north got from from dedicated greens keepers.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey100 View Post
Regarding over-mowing, I was told by someone who is familiar with the situation, that the golf course maintenance contracts are written up in such a manner that the fairways get mowed "X" amount of times per week. The contractors do that, whether or not the fairways need it, because its in the contract and they want to get paid. When you contract out the work, the courses aren't going to get the personalized care that our courses up north got from from dedicated greens keepers.

Cutting grass costs a lot more up north and so does most golf.

http://mrrstats.com/wgccblog/
Old 07-09-2014, 08:26 PM
Gold member

Good luck by all.

Last edited by fred53; 07-10-2014 at 03:06 AM. Reason: dumb
Old 07-09-2014, 09:08 PM
Sage
Default North vs South

We went "North" yesterday to play Briarwood and it was a whole different course. The whole course was in great condition! The greens weren't all sand and the fare ways were lush and green. Why is that? Why are the courses toward the Southern end of town in such poor condition? Played Bacall today and the greens were horrible. Maybe golfing the courses North may be the answer?
Old 07-10-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGuy View Post
Lived here five years never seen exec greens this bad.
Play about three times a week both regulation and executives. I know they have aerated many greens but these are just in terrible shape. Heron looks likes some kind of fungus. You can count on one hand if any decent greens on most executives.
Anyone know what's going on?
When you build them on the cheap and maintain them poorly what do you expect. They are like they are because a vast majority of Villages "golfers" don't know the difference between good and bad.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:51 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,778 Times in 3,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguyintv View Post
When you build them on the cheap and maintain them poorly what do you expect. They are like they are because a vast majority of Villages "golfers" don't know the difference between good and bad.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:23 PM
Gold member

newguyintv said it all. Build them cheap and maintain them cheap.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
We went "North" yesterday to play Briarwood and it was a whole different course. The whole course was in great condition! The greens weren't all sand and the fare ways were lush and green. Why is that? Why are the courses toward the Southern end of town in such poor condition? Played Bacall today and the greens were horrible. Maybe golfing the courses North may be the answer?
The maintenance contractor for the four courses up there decided to not use the usual large tines when they aerated during the transition from overseed to base bermuda. Instead they used the 1/4" tines which resulted in the greens recovering more quickly. They will use the smaller tines for the second aeration on all the courses later this summer.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguyintv View Post
Old 07-10-2014, 07:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeod View Post
The maintenance contractor for the four courses up there decided to not use the usual large tines when they aerated during the transition from overseed to base bermuda. Instead they used the 1/4" tines which resulted in the greens recovering more quickly. They will use the smaller tines for the second aeration on all the courses later this summer.
If you don't top dress it's a complete waist of time
Old 07-10-2014, 08:41 PM
Gold member
Default So far all the courses I've played...

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
If you don't top dress it's a complete waist of time
that have been aerated have been top dressed.

What's lacking is patience....on the part of the golfers(or non-golfers who play grass hockey ;-)
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.