Why is Palmer in better shape again?

Closed Thread
Old 12-27-2010, 09:15 AM
Sage
Default Why is Palmer in better shape again?

I played Palmer last Friday and .....

<Alan's opinion>

....the course is head and shoulders above the other courses I have played recently (Havana, Tierra, Cane, Mallory). The over seed came in MUCH better, the greens rolled nice even though a frost delay prevented cutting.

As I kill time here on a cold morning I am curious if anyone had any thoughts on WHY Palmer is in so much better condition? This is the second winter in a row that Palmer is in better condition. I would be proud to take any guest to Palmer Legends as one of "my" courses.
</Alan's opinion>

I plan on asking the golf management team this question, but I see no harm getting some opinions from fellow Village golfers.

If you agree with my premise that Palmer is in much better shape, then I ask why?
  • Just lucky with timing of over seed rain/cold?
  • Do they have more water?
  • As I understand it the same company takes care of all championship courses, Do they have the same budget?
  • Did Arnold's company force TV to do extra when building the foundation for this course, e.g., more loam, drainage, etc.?
I have no idea, but curious what others think...
Old 12-27-2010, 09:17 AM
Gold member
Location: Retired and living fulltime in The Village of Bonita!

One word, marketing.
It is the course they tout and show the most on LSVs.

Army Guy
Old 12-27-2010, 09:39 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army Guy View Post
One word, marketing.
It is the course they tout and show the most on LSVs.

Army Guy
It's also the one that is the most expensive to play hence getting the least play.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, scotch in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 12-27-2010, 09:44 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

The condition of the courses in TV and outside TV vary. It is 100% related to how much care they are given, how much water and who the grounds keeper is. If Palmer is always better then they are spending more money to provide that care. Could be water, when they did the over seeding, when they applied fertilizer, how much of each was done, when it was done, and who did it. Probably some combination of all. I guarantee you that they could have all TV courses in the same condition if they wanted to spend the money. BUT they don't have to. As long as there is a wait for tee times, why spend the money. Someday that attitude will bite them, but for now they are busy and filling every available tee time.

The problem will not change until those of us who pay to play cause a change. Start using more outside courses that do keep up the quality of their course. Once the revenue drop starts to impact them, they might do the same level of care at all courses.

Last edited by l2ridehd; 12-27-2010 at 02:05 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:43 PM

It's watered more.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:34 PM
Gold member

I played it last Friday and the greens were really nice. However I thought the fairways were spotty and not appreciably better than other courses here. I thought the fairways would be better.

John

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
Old 12-27-2010, 02:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrheydt View Post
I played it last Friday and the greens were really nice. However I thought the fairways were spotty and not appreciably better than other courses here. I thought the fairways would be better.

John
Interesting, I came away thinking the failrways were better than Cane and Mallory which I just played, maybe I was not in the fairway enough, or I was happy with how I played . Which nines you play, I was Cherry to Laurel.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:38 PM
Veteran member

I haven't played Palmer in awhile, so can't really compare, but I'm sure it got more water during the overseeding process. I used to go by there and Mallory as well, and Palmer was always being watered, and Mallory not very much. I'm sure they were prettying things up for the President Bush visit, but Palmer is always in the nicest shape, while some of the other courses are not very good.

I'm with l2ride on this. Its ridiculous that we're getting these crappy conditions on some of the courses every year, and there is always an excuse, yet Palmer is pristine. Makes no sense.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:58 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
Interesting, I came away thinking the failrways were better than Cane and Mallory which I just played, maybe I was not in the fairway enough, or I was happy with how I played . Which nines you play, I was Cherry to Laurel.
I played Laurel to Riley.

John

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.