Federal employee and healthcare

Closed Thread
Old 08-29-2023, 05:41 PM
Default Federal employee and healthcare

Greetings everyone! I'm a federal employee looking to retire dow the Villages in a few years. I am looking for former government employees input in regards to healthcare and what company they used post retirement. I currently have GEHA but curious to see if anyone has a different plan and if covers them well enough.

Be safe down there in the mean time.
Old 08-29-2023, 05:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

I am a retired Federal employee. I have the FEHB Blue Cross Standard plan as my only health insurance. I do not have Medicare Part B, because the premiums are too expensive and it does not make sense financially for me. The Blue Cross plan has an annual catastrophic limit of $6,000, which provides me with all of the coverage I need. Do the math before you decide to sign up for Medicare. Although, I understand that GEHA is also a good plan.
Old 08-29-2023, 06:59 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedcop2 View Post
Greetings everyone! I'm a federal employee looking to retire dow the Villages in a few years. I am looking for former government employees input in regards to healthcare and what company they used post retirement. I currently have GEHA but curious to see if anyone has a different plan and if covers them well enough.

Be safe down there in the mean time.
35 years with the FAA. I have GEHA. This is a side bar, but the one thing I did notice since I've lived down here for two years is healthcare may not necessarily be up to the standards you are used to. Not bashing healthcare in Florida, but I have had several friends who have had difficulty getting healthcare here. A solution that worked well for me was to keep my primary health care physician in Minnesota. I've used the telehealth feature on several occasions from Florida. I feel like if there's something that is really big it is simply a $250 round-trip ticket back home. So far knock on wood I have not needed to do so. I have a summer home in northern Minnesota and have visited the dermatologist and my primary health care physician for in office visits since I've been up here this summer.
Old 08-30-2023, 06:17 AM

I have FEHB Blue Cross. I am sure GEHA would be about the same as would any of the Fee-for-Service (FFS) plans. I have found little or no difference in the access or quality of health care here as compared to the many places I lived while working with the federal government. If anything, there are more providers dealing with health issues associated with age.
Old 08-30-2023, 08:16 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,347 Times in 735 Posts

United Healthcare consumer driven option. This is a high deductible option which qualifies for a tax savings Health Savings Account.
Closed Thread

Tags
federal, healthcare, employee, curious, geha

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.