Hearing Help

Closed Thread
Old 10-20-2023, 11:01 AM
Default Hearing Help

Forgive me if I posted this twice as I am trying hard to find Ear Dr to help as I have spent “thousands” on what is supposed to be the best hearing aids only to find out a few moths later I am getting worse. I took hearing aids back to get “adjusted” only to find out they don’t help. I also went to Ear doctor to make sure ears were clear and this is 3rd set of hearing aids. In a couple years and now in desperate need to find someone who can find what problem as I hate my husband yelling at me and now promised to try to find an Ear Dr that will find a solution and not selling hearing aids.

I would appreciate any info as to “reputable” hearing Dr that you might suggest as the Talk of the Villages has helped me before in leading me to the “right” person. Thank you again.
Old 10-20-2023, 12:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I have a congenital hearing loss and have worn hearing aids for decades. Nothing can guarantee that hearing aids will continue to work as we age and most of us will have hearing loss that will continue to get worse.

ALL hearing aids cost "thousands of dollars" if you have a significant hearing loss. It isn't corrected by just making sound louder. One must have the proper tone and range corrected to hear better and there may come a time that hearing better is not possible.

That said, I very much trust Dan at The Village Ear near Publix on 466.

AND Helene, our daughter has recently been evaluated and had hearing aids placed by the audiologist at the offices of Dr. Milstead in Leesburg. I cannot say enough about both of them.

I do believe that there MAY be some overpricing for hearing devices by ALL manufacturers, but that is a hunch only.
Old 10-20-2023, 01:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Was your hearing problem assessed by a professional Audiologist?
Have you been buying hearing aids or just sound enhancers?
Old 10-20-2023, 02:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,050 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I have a congenital hearing loss and have worn hearing aids for decades. Nothing can guarantee that hearing aids will continue to work as we age and most of us will have hearing loss that will continue to get worse.

ALL hearing aids cost "thousands of dollars" if you have a significant hearing loss. It isn't corrected by just making sound louder. One must have the proper tone and range corrected to hear better and there may come a time that hearing better is not possible.

That said, I very much trust Dan at The Village Ear near Publix on 466.

AND Helene, our daughter has recently been evaluated and had hearing aids placed by the audiologist at the offices of Dr. Milstead in Leesburg. I cannot say enough about both of them.

I do believe that there MAY be some overpricing for hearing devices by ALL manufacturers, but that is a hunch only.
We have been dealing with Dan as well and happy with his performance
Old 10-20-2023, 02:55 PM

You should not be needing new expensive hearing aids every couple of years. Adjustments maybe, but not new ones. The good hearing aids should last several years. Forget about the new bells and whistles that come out each year. Those likely will not help youl. If you are in the TVHS I recommend audiologist Jody Costanzo at Mulberry. She won't push new and improved on you, but will get the most from your hearing aids. But you may need an ENT to diagnose a worsing hearing problem.
Old 10-20-2023, 04:49 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,377 Times in 500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
We have been dealing with Dan as well and happy with his performance
I recommend Dan also
Old 10-20-2023, 06:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Paige Holt, Dr. of Audiology at Lake ear, nose and Throat...352-753-8448.

She will test you and with what she learns from you will make recommendations. She will allow you to try different brands if she has more than one option.

My wife and I have both been in her care for the past 20 years.

She is not in the business of selling hearing aids. She is dedicated to help those with a hearing problem find an appropriate solution.

100% patient focused.

Old 10-21-2023, 04:27 AM
Default Ocala ent

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanie1160 View Post
Forgive me if I posted this twice as I am trying hard to find Ear Dr to help as I have spent “thousands” on what is supposed to be the best hearing aids only to find out a few moths later I am getting worse. I took hearing aids back to get “adjusted” only to find out they don’t help. I also went to Ear doctor to make sure ears were clear and this is 3rd set of hearing aids. In a couple years and now in desperate need to find someone who can find what problem as I hate my husband yelling at me and now promised to try to find an Ear Dr that will find a solution and not selling hearing aids.

I would appreciate any info as to “reputable” hearing Dr that you might suggest as the Talk of the Villages has helped me before in leading me to the “right” person. Thank you again.
I went to a local walk in clinic for sinus infection and asked where he would go if he needed an ENT and he recommended OCALA ENT. I had thorough exam there from Dr Thomas Thomason. Found out my ear problem was actually a sinus problem and I have one 95% blocked nostril. Also sent my husband there to eliminate any peripheral issues of his before replacing his hearing aids.
Old 10-21-2023, 04:47 AM

Two related sources of information:
1) Dr. Cliff Olsen has a YouTube channel that teaches everything you need to know about hearing loss and how it is treated. Visit his channel and select videos that you think pertinent.

IN PARTICULAR, watch this video about Best Practices. Watch it.

2) We have an audiologist here who follows Dr. Cliff's recommended Best Practices. He is Dr. of Audiology Al Turri. He practices at the Brownwood Center for Advanced Healthcare. 352-674-1799. Dr. Turri is very careful, listens to exactly what patients need and keeps working with them to help improve their situation.
Old 10-21-2023, 06:23 AM
Default Hearing issues

I feel your frustration. Some of these”doctors “ seem to be more interested in selling equipment rather than giving the relief you need. I had to keep my audiologist in Jacksonville because of this. She is effective and listens to your concerns. I know it’s a a two plus hour drive but if you want her information please send me a message.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanie1160 View Post

Old 10-21-2023, 06:24 AM

A good friend was losing hearing in one ear and went to a great ENT doctor in the area (Phoenix). Turns out it was a tumor on the audio nerve on that side. Nothing he could do and he now has no hearing in that ear at all. He says the only good thing is that is the side his wife usually sits on so now he has an excuse to ignore her.
Old 10-21-2023, 06:34 AM

Beltone near Target on 441. They have been in business forever. If you need new ones that's the place to go. I have bought 2 sets from them. Reliable excellent service. Sets for clarity as well as sound
Old 10-21-2023, 06:45 AM

I highly recommend Costco. I have moderate hearing loss and have tried several devices over the last decade or so. The professionals at the Claremont location sold me a pair of Phillips aids for $1500. They are great. The Phillips software leaves something to be desired, but otherwise an excellent solution for me.
Old 10-21-2023, 07:22 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Was your hearing problem assessed by a professional Audiologist?
Have you been buying hearing aids or just sound enhancers?
“Professional Audiologist”? How do you define this? Education levels and experience vary greatly. Best to see an ENT who will only have top of the line audiologists on staff.
Old 10-21-2023, 07:25 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berwin View Post
A good friend was losing hearing in one ear and went to a great ENT doctor in the area (Phoenix). Turns out it was a tumor on the audio nerve on that side. Nothing he could do and he now has no hearing in that ear at all. He says the only good thing is that is the side his wife usually sits on so now he has an excuse to ignore her.
The old hearing jokes are just that….. old. Humor in them was lost long ago.
Closed Thread

Tags
find, hearing, aids, ear, person

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.