Hospice

Closed Thread
Old 08-29-2023, 12:15 PM

First, I am sorry if you need hospice.

Second, both of my parents used hospice, but in very different circumstances. Both were positive experiences.

My mother had Alzheimer's and went from memory care to skilled nursing. There is a long list of restrictions on what nursing homes can and cannot do. Any time any medical issue came up, skilled nursing shipped my mom to the hospital - even some issues that had been taken care of in memory care. Each hospital visit was scary and a horrible experience because mom was clueless as to what was going on. Hospice has the ability to take care of a lot of these issues in the skilled nursing setting. That was huge in our world. Once enrolled, she did not have to go back to the hospital.

My father was in assisted living when he got the flu. He was hospitalized, his kidneys, quit functioning, and it went downhill from there. We placed him in a hospice facility. The staff was wonderful.

My other experience with hospice was when I was named as part of a healthcare team for an older friend. He needed end-of-life care. When we interviewed hospice, their answers were very different then what I had been told with my mother's hospice. The other team members and I were not impressed, and we chose to provide end-of-life care for our friend in his home, hiring our own nurses and caregivers. Our friend was fortunate to have the resources to do this.

So, I don't think that there is one answer to your question. In larger cities there can be several hospice entities. Be sure to talk with each one.

A doctor needs to make the referral for hospice, and your post is unclear if such a referral has been made.

Sending kind thoughts to you.
Old 08-29-2023, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugMom View Post
you touched on 1 of the things about hospice i'm not comfortable with: the lack of care when an issue should arise. if you have a heart attack, etc., no care is given. they hold your hand while you die, ...please tell me i'm wrong
You're wrong. The family or patient can request to go to the ER if they want to at any time. I was an ICU nurse for 20 years. Took care of many patients that were hospice but when they really started feeling bad requested to go to the ER. Then we had to have the conversation of Hospice or no Hospice. A lot of patients turned into comfort care only and died at the hospital. I think sometimes family or patients on Hospice will panic and call 911 when they start feeling really crummy.
Old 08-30-2023, 12:59 AM

I worked as a hospice RN for a short while. Typically our pts improved after a few weeks and died a more peaceful death.
IMO - it is a very supportive experience.
Old 08-30-2023, 06:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieRN View Post
You're wrong. The family or patient can request to go to the ER if they want to at any time. I was an ICU nurse for 20 years. Took care of many patients that were hospice but when they really started feeling bad requested to go to the ER. Then we had to have the conversation of Hospice or no Hospice. A lot of patients turned into comfort care only and died at the hospital. I think sometimes family or patients on Hospice will panic and call 911 when they start feeling really crummy.
ty much for your reply
Old 08-30-2023, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
A physician determines if you or a family member is eligible for hospice. Check out palliative care though-- Hospice & Palliative Care Basics | VITAS Healthcare

What is Palliative Care? | VITAS Healthcare

Cornerstone Hospice and Palliative Care
Yes, I think Palliative Care is a great option. It was explained to me as Pre-Hospice care. They do treat symptoms and not just manage pain. You can also continue to see your own doctors
Old 08-30-2023, 11:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanettek3 View Post
Yes, I think Palliative Care is a great option. It was explained to me as Pre-Hospice care. They do treat symptoms and not just manage pain. You can also continue to see your own doctors

If your loved one needs things like a hospital bed, a portable commode, a wheel chair, cleaning supplies, and some medications Palliative Hospices like Vitas are very helpful. And they do stick to the end. But if the patient improves then they will remove him or her from the Palliative Hospice.

The insurance gets all this or most of it.
Old 08-31-2023, 11:21 PM

I think you also sign that you understand care and comfort of the patient is the goal not prolonging life.
Closed Thread

Tags
hospice, point, decision, making, joining

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.