Advice needed - buying house and not moving in for 8 months

Closed Thread
Old 03-12-2023, 07:29 AM

Make sure you go through your new house and alerting warranty of all issues (mainly cosmetic). I think they are only giving 7 days to report these. Schedule a home inspection to be completed prior to your 1 year anniversary. If you're not living in the house, these things won't be realized until you start using the place.
Old 03-12-2023, 07:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,738 Times in 5,252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGraves View Post
Make sure you go through your new house and alerting warranty of all issues (mainly cosmetic). I think they are only giving 7 days to report these. Schedule a home inspection to be completed prior to your 1 year anniversary. If you're not living in the house, these things won't be realized until you start using the place.
It's not a new house, unless they have resumed building Premier houses.
Old 03-12-2023, 07:44 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBaty View Post
I am looking for any advice you can offer. We are closing on a house in 3 weeks but will not move in until October. We are going to arrange for lawn and pest service etc. but need advice on home watch/security. Can you recommend someone? Should we have an alarm system put in? I am going to consult a pool company for advice on the pool but if you can think of anything I may be missing, I would appreciate your thoughts.
I would ask your realtor for a home watch person. Often they are paired with a person who watches properties as a side business. When we first bought here, we had one until we moved down full time 4 years later. She would check our property as often as we wanted. Told us when our irrigation system wasn’t working properly, let in an electrician when we needed one, checked the refrigerator, etc.

I would be concerned mostly about the pool staying clean & the irrigation system, as sprinklers can get damaged by the lawn crew. Neighbors are usually great but I would not depend on them.

Congrats on new home. Sounds lovely
Old 03-12-2023, 08:00 AM

I would hire a home watch or property management company that can check the inside and outside of home and address any issues that may arise. I would not rely on neighbors for 8 months.
Old 03-12-2023, 08:08 AM

We use Villagers Home Watch when we are back North, and they are great! We have used them since we bought our place in TV eight years ago. You can reach them at 518-423-9966.

Welcome to TV!
Old 03-12-2023, 08:44 AM

You didn’t mention the area. That could make a difference if anyone can help. I would offer to help but I’m not sure of your area. We do custom closets on the side. We live in The Village of Monarch Grove. Cameras and Ring doorbell is very handy and easy to use. Most homes have all the smart appliances and easy to maintain. Whatever your route when you move here Good luck with your new home. Enjoy we love The Villages. Our best move yet.
Old 03-12-2023, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splashes View Post
what model house designer, courtyard ,villa? new or preowned ? Massey and Deans can do your pest inside and out and mow your lawn as well as weed the flower beds. If you are not going to be here for 8 months I would consider a home watch. The villages has a home watch service that can check inside and/or outside weekly, you realtor can get you intouch. If you want to rent it out for long term 6-8 months you can rent it unfurnished through the villages also What will make you more comfortable????
Actually, Dean's services will depend on which county you're in... we were absentee owners for the first year, hired them on the advice of someone who lived in Marion County but in Sumter County they did NOT mow (which we found out when our renter started complaining)...
Old 03-12-2023, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garywt View Post
My opinion is not to rent if you don’t have to, keep your house new and unused. We have owned for 4 years but only get down 4-5 weeks a year. Have never used a house watch or anything. Our neighbors are great and we have friends that have a key.

Each time we leave we shut off the water and water heater, turn AC to about 80 and cover the sink drains, shower drains with tape and the toilets we add bleach and cover with plastic wrap. This helps keep water in the traps and bugs from entering through the pipes.
Question: if you turn off the water, how does your lawn get watered? We were advised to definitely NOT turn off the water...
Old 03-12-2023, 10:15 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,204 Times in 465 Posts

If you have a separate irrigation system, definitely turn off the water to the house. I would not rent as you want free access to the house for any work you want done. What if you rent and they do not want to leave or do damage to your home? Who would rent your house for only a few months, especially during the summer? House watchers work for a while and then fizzle out. I went through about three of them. I live here full time now so do not need them. I have used Deans for several years and have not had a problem. They are a big organization so they will not take a powder on you.
Old 03-12-2023, 11:36 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliAst View Post
Question: if you turn off the water, how does your lawn get watered? We were advised to definitely NOT turn off the water...
interior water is potable, irrigation water is reclaimed. Separate systems.
Old 03-12-2023, 12:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkjelenbaas View Post
Do not hire DEANS as they stop doing lawn service when you head north - like they did to me - hire a HOME WATCH company to check on your home while you’re gone. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED ABOUT DEANS!!!
Not true. I use Deans and I can see them every time they show up to do my lawn (I hve a video doorbell and a garage mounted security camera that can see the front yard). They bill me exactly for what they do...

-Tom Petty
Old 03-12-2023, 01:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larchap49 View Post
Definitely some kind of security. You don't want to end up with some unfortunate homeless people squatting in your home. Put in some lights with timers, program your thermostat so you can monitor it from home. Manually lock the garage doors from the inside and put security bars on the sliding doors, their locks are not very secure
Have squatters ever taken over a home in TV?

Serious question as I've never heard of it happening...

-Tom Petty
Old 03-12-2023, 01:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonrich View Post
interior water is potable, irrigation water is reclaimed. Separate systems.
In MOST areas. In some of the older areas, there is only ONE water source...

-Tom Petty
Old 03-12-2023, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
Have you considered renting out in the interim? Demand is high. There are property managers that will take care of it.
I checked on property managers, they were a joke. They make all the money and I'd be lucky to break even. We rent it ourselves, been doing it now for 10 years.
Old 03-12-2023, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliAst View Post

You have a potable and non-potable water source. Potable water should be turned off in long periods of absence, and the non-potable (used for watering lawns) is controlled by a timer in the garage, which is usually set to water at specific times and days.
Closed Thread

Tags
advice, pool, house, alarm, system

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.