The Height of IGNORANCE

Closed Thread
Old 03-14-2010, 12:20 PM
Default The Height of IGNORANCE

I went to Mass at a Catholic Church this weekend. During the offertory/consecration a woman received a call on her cell phone. She actually carried on a 1 minute conversation before hanging up.
Also, there was a "stampede" to leave the church DURING communion. Have to get out of the parking lot you know.
Don't people realize what they are doing??
I shouldn't let these things bother me, but sometimes crudeness and ignorance is very distracting.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Oh Dominick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominick View Post
I went to Mass at a Catholic Church this weekend. During the offertory/consecration a woman received a call on her cell phone. She actually carried on a 1 minute conversation before hanging up.
Also, there was a "stampede" to leave the church DURING communion. Have to get out of the parking lot you know.
I shouldn't let these things bother me, but sometimes crudeness and ignorance is very distracting.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:14 PM

I would like to retract the comments that I made to start this thread. I was much too judgemental and critical of my fellow Christians. Must have been in a bad mood or something. With everything thats going on today, there are more serious things to worry about. Sorry if I offended anyone. Peace.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:33 PM
Founder

I happen to think you are correct in your first post. No apology needed. IMO
Old 03-14-2010, 07:04 PM

I also agree....No apology necessary.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:54 PM

Dominus vobiscum.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:11 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallory View Post
Dominus vobiscum.
Et cum spirito tuo

(Hm-m-m. Are we showing our age?)

And Dominic, you aren't alone!

Also: Wheeling, WV * Youngstown, OH* Niles, OH * Oshkosh, WI * Ft. Worth, TX * Da Bronx * Marathon, NY * Bricktown, NJ * Newark, DE * San Antonio, TX * Washington, DC * Tacoma, WA
Old 03-15-2010, 01:21 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominick View Post
Dominick .... you seem to have touched onto something. Recently, I was up North, and went to Church with my sister and her husband. Upon leaving the property, my brother-in-law cursed out at least four other church-goers BEFORE HE EVEN LEFT THE CHURCH PARKING LOT. What's up with that!!!

But, you know what??? It ain't just the parishioners, though. We once asked a Priest to visit a funeral home 4 city streets away from the rectory to say a prayer at a wake for an immigrant lady who had volunteered her time in the same rectory for over 50 years. He replied and said "Only if you send a car for one of us". H-mmmmm, let me try to understand this. Jesus walked all over Palestine preaching the Good Word and this guy couldn't walk 4 blocks for someone who had volunteered at his home for many years.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:04 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ding Dong

If that was at St. Vincent De Paul I too was there if not it Happen there on Sunday also. As for leaving the parking lot I thought I was at the Inndy 500. What the he-- is the hurry. Really people.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:49 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany
Default Height of Ignorance

When we lived in Virginia, our Catholic church had the same problem with cell phones ringing and people leaving right after communion or during the closing hymn. Our Monsignor took time out right before/after his sermon several times a year to remind everyone to turn off cell phones and to stay until the closing hymn was completed. He even had signs posted that were very visible as you entered reminding folks to turn off cell phones. It was very effective, as he brought up the subject in a pleasant manner. He was also very good about explaining the holiness of the communion ritual. These actions are the height of ignorance, as these people don't know or understand the holiness of this part of the mass.

Maybe if a few of you mentioned your disappointment to the priest, he would say a few words to the congregation? We are coming to live as permanent residents in April and look forward to attending St. Timothy's.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:04 PM
Sage

If they still had nuns in black carrying wooden rulers patrolling the aisles this wouldn't be an issue.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 03-15-2010, 09:33 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Makes my knuckles ache just thinking about that!
Old 03-15-2010, 10:18 PM

Regarding the early exits, at least at St. V's some of the sermons (especially by the deacons) are so long that those leaving after the dismissal are bumping into others arriving for the next Mass. The larger than normal winter crowds don't help either. Have to say, though, that the sermon on Sunday at 11:30 with the NCIS tie-in was very well done as well as entertaining.

Lent is also confusing with no final hymn so many aren't really sure when to leave.

All in all, we all were taught how to act before, in, and after Mass and should know better.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:59 PM
Veteran member
Smile

[QUOTE= We are coming to live as permanent residents in April and look forward to attending St. Timothy's.[/QUOTE]

From what I've seen At St. Timithy's on Sunday afternoon, you have to leave before the Mass starts in order to get out in a timely fasion.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:11 AM
Location: Village of St. Charles,Binghamton, Conklin, Syracuse, and Tully, NY

I was at St Vincent's also, and the guy next to me walked past his seat and right out the door after communion. Then people weren't very considerate getting out of the parking lot either. What's the hurry?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.