The Height of IGNORANCE

Closed Thread
Old 03-16-2010, 08:53 AM
Platinum member
Default Just Maybe....

I'm not Catholic, but other churches have the same problems. Our minister back home once stopped in mid-sermon when someone's phone went off and said, "Would you like to get that?" (We, too, had the reminders to silence phones.) We had a large church there with multiple services and ministers. One morning at the 10:20 service, the preacher assured us that he would not go over his allotted hour because the next service was scheduled right after that one at 11:30. He commented that his was the best service to attend because that way, being on time and close to the noon hour, we could beat the Baptists to the restaurant. Maybe that's part of the hurry here.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 03-16-2010, 09:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Edited by me...Oh boy. Sorry. I sounded pretty preachy.

Last edited by graciegirl; 03-16-2010 at 03:56 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:01 PM
Veteran member

I have to say that I have found this phenomenon to be a Catholic thing! I was raised Catholic, went to Catholic schools grades 1-12, and attended Catholic churches until I got married. I married a Methodist, but we decided that we would attend many different churches until we found what suited us. We have attended Methodist, Episcopal, Baptist, non-denominational christian churches, and now currently Assembly of God. None of the other churches go racing for the doors, but none of the other churches expect to get out under an hour either. Our current services last anywhere from an hour and a half to two hours. People stay and chat with each other afterward as well. From what I have experienced, the smaller congregations make for a more intimate worship experience. Everyone knows each other, and that makes a big difference in how everyone treats each other too.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:26 AM

What about the rudeness of patients answering their phones while the Doctor is right in front of them! Then carrying on the conversation or texting and making the Docs wait to check their incisions or throats or whatever!
Old 03-04-2011, 10:33 AM
Default Is nothing sacred??

Oh heck, I was in a restroom when the woman in the stall next to me answered her cell phone and carried on an entire conversation. Is nothing sacred?
Old 03-04-2011, 11:03 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whartonjelly View Post
What about the rudeness of patients answering their phones while the Doctor is right in front of them! Then carrying on the conversation or texting and making the Docs wait to check their incisions or throats or whatever!

Hi wj,

That is awful. I guess they will have to post exam-room signs that say to turn off the cell phones when the medical staff is present. (Not that such signs would even register in a lot of cases.)

Ironically, with some of those patients, if the doc were to turn and walk out when ignored, moving those patients to the end of the line, many of those idiot-patients would complain and say the doc was rude to them. And it would never occur to them that not only are they being rude to the doctor and staff but also to other patients in-waiting.

It makes me sad to see those who have raised self-absorption to some kind of bizarre art-form. They are everywhere.

Currently Grouchy (but still well-mannered) Boomer
Old 03-04-2011, 11:08 AM
Veteran member

I am not Catholic, but I remember going to a large church once where right in the middle of the sermon a person's cellphone went off, much to the embarrassment of the owner, who was trying without succes to turn off the ringer. The pastor walked down to the person, said, "Here, give me the phone". The pastor answered it ....it went like this;

Pastor: Hello
Caller: Who is this?
Pastor: This is Pastor Marty. Joe's in church right now, and you called him right during my sermon. It's turning out to be a really good sermon, and we are having a great time here. I just wanted to invite you to church here.....best place to be on a Sunday morning. Love to see you. I'll tell Joe to call you back after service. See ya!

While I don't know if that was the best way to handle it, at the time most all of the congregation was smiling.....Joe was an easy going guy, and although embarrassed thought it was good. He never forgot to turn off his cellphone after that.

I'm on call 24/7, so I make sure my phone is on vibrate. We sit towards the back at the end of a row. I'm told there are now Apps that you download that "knows" where your phone is, and can automatically go to vibrate when you are at that location.

As to parking lots, our church has a volunteer staff of parking attendants who do a great job of getting folks in and out between services....it is sad to see some folks just "punching in" and getting out. We have a coffee time after services, so no one seems in a rush to leave......

Frank
Old 03-04-2011, 11:10 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
I had a doctor whip out his phone and after reading a message he started to text while I sat there clutching a rediculous paper shirt.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:32 AM
Founder

There is a doctor who serves The Villages, who checks football scores on his laptop with his back to you during your visit. I said to him, "I hope I'm not bothering you." He said, "Oh no, I'm just checking the scores."
Old 03-04-2011, 11:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulfrank View Post
I am not Catholic, but I remember going to a large church once where right in the middle of the sermon a person's cellphone went off, much to the embarrassment of the owner, who was trying without succes to turn off the ringer. The pastor walked down to the person, said, "Here, give me the phone". The pastor answered it ....it went like this;

Pastor: This is Pastor Marty. Joe's in church right now, and you called him right during my sermon. It's turning out to be a really good sermon, and we are having a great time here. I just wanted to invite you to church here.....best place to be on a Sunday morning. Love to see you. I'll tell Joe to call you back after service. See ya!

While I don't know if that was the best way to handle it, at the time most all of the congregation was smiling.....Joe was an easy going guy, and although embarrassed thought it was good. He never forgot to turn off his cellphone after that.

I'm on call 24/7, so I make sure my phone is on vibrate. We sit towards the back at the end of a row. I'm told there are now Apps that you download that "knows" where your phone is, and can automatically go to vibrate when you are at that location.

As to parking lots, our church has a volunteer staff of parking attendants who do a great job of getting folks in and out between services....it is sad to see some folks just "punching in" and getting out. We have a coffee time after services, so no one seems in a rush to leave......

Frank
Faithful...you always seem to get right to the heart of things and just say the right thing. You are a VERY nice person.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:58 AM
Default In the church parking lot

A little off-topic, but certainly on the 'ignorance' subject:

Some years ago, I was dating a lady who asked me to take her to church on a Sunday morn. When we arrived at the church, the lot was full and people were looking for a place to park. I noticed the church next door, whose lot was just a few feet away over a grassy patch, was empty and I suggested we go over there.

"We can't," she said.

"Do they object?" I asked.

"No," she answered. "But they're heathens!"
Old 01-14-2012, 11:29 PM
Gold member

Quote:
What about doctors who answer their cell phones while they are examining & treating you?
Old 01-15-2012, 11:32 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Hi wj,

That is awful. I guess they will have to post exam-room signs that say to turn off the cell phones when the medical staff is present. (Not that such signs would even register in a lot of cases.)

Ironically, with some of those patients, if the doc were to turn and walk out when ignored, moving those patients to the end of the line, many of those idiot-patients would complain and say the doc was rude to them. And it would never occur to them that not only are they being rude to the doctor and staff but also to other patients in-waiting.

It makes me sad to see those who have raised self-absorption to some kind of bizarre art-form. They are everywhere. Currently Grouchy (but still well-mannered) Boomer
I agree that is a non-good sign of the times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulfrank View Post

While I don't know if that was the best way to handle it, at the time most all of the congregation was smiling.....Joe was an easy going guy, and although embarrassed thought it was good. He never forgot to turn off his cellphone after that.I'm on call 24/7, so I make sure my phone is on vibrate. We sit towards the back at the end of a row. I'm told there are now Apps that you download that "knows" where your phone is, and can automatically go to vibrate when you are at that location.

Frank
This is an example of the best way to handle this situation. I feel sorry for Joe this happened. My experience is some people feel an obligation to go to church but sometimes are preoccuplied with other things they feel may be important re "punching in and getting out".

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 01-15-2012, 01:54 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hancle704 View Post
What about doctors who answer their cell phones while they are examining & treating you?
That would depend on whether it was a matter of life or death for another of his patients. Just to chat....no!
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 01-16-2012, 09:11 AM
Cool Ignorance defeated.

Post a Nun at the door with a pointer, that will fix the problem! Whack....
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.