The Height of IGNORANCE

Closed Thread
Old 01-16-2012, 10:06 AM
Platinum member

This has nothing to do with going to church, but does address the topic at hand i.e. The Height of Ignorance.

A friend of ours is in the TV Hospital. His wife was over visiting and needed to go up to the second floor. She has severe macular degeneration and is legally blind, although to look at her, you would not realize it. When she got on the elevator to go up, someone asked her if she could push the button. She told them that she could not because she is blind. The lady reached around her to push the button and said "Where's your cane"? That's just downright mean and stupid. My parents didn't raise me to be that way.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 01-16-2012, 10:31 AM
Veteran member

That was rude comment but as a side note, how many floors are there in the TV hospital and aren't the buttons market with brail numbers? I thought all elevators are required to be marked that way.
JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by getdul981 View Post
This has nothing to do with going to church, but does address the topic at hand i.e. The Height of Ignorance.

A friend of ours is in the TV Hospital. His wife was over visiting and needed to go up to the second floor. She has severe macular degeneration and is legally blind, although to look at her, you would not realize it. When she got on the elevator to go up, someone asked her if she could push the button. She told them that she could not because she is blind. The lady reached around her to push the button and said "Where's your cane"? That's just downright mean and stupid. My parents didn't raise me to be that way.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:43 AM

Then we wonder why people don't think much of God when we'd prefer to get out of the parking lot first than to spend a little more time catching up with fellow members of the body.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyemerson View Post
Then we wonder why people don't think much of God when we'd prefer to get out of the parking lot first than to spend a little more time catching up with fellow members of the body.

Somewhere along those lines something feels right. I think a little patience and a little acceptance is the goal here. We all have our foibles. I have a LOT.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Hummmmmmmmmm Phone call was from GOD?
Old 05-11-2012, 07:29 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Hummmmmmmmmm Phone call was from GOD?

Could have been. He might have said...Pay attention!
Old 05-11-2012, 07:35 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominick View Post
I would like to retract the comments that I made to start this thread. I was much too judgemental and critical of my fellow Christians. Must have been in a bad mood or something. With everything thats going on today, there are more serious things to worry about. Sorry if I offended anyone. Peace.
I want to hug you. You didn't offend me. I love it when people are kind and forgiving.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:02 AM
Veteran member

My wife and I get a chuckle everytime we attend St. Timothy's. People start arriving almost 1 hour before Mass starts in order to sit in "their" seat. We are snowbirds and accidentally found out that we were sitting in someone's seat when they said loud enough for us to hear (maybe accidentally but probably on purpose) that we were sitting in their seats.

Anyway, people start arriving 1 hour early, and race out of church after receiving communion. I know that The Villages has many activities planned everyday, but there should be a little time set aside for some religious reflection. My wife and I have a friendly bet on how many empty seats are available in the section we sit at after communion.

In Connecticut, our pastor has made numerous comments about not leaving early, and now stands at the exits when he doesn't officiate the Mass to greet the "early-birds".
Old 05-12-2012, 05:54 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Bieniaszek View Post
My wife and I get a chuckle everytime we attend St. Timothy's. People start arriving almost 1 hour before Mass starts in order to sit in "their" seat. We are snowbirds and accidentally found out that we were sitting in someone's seat when they said loud enough for us to hear (maybe accidentally but probably on purpose) that we were sitting in their seats.

Anyway, people start arriving 1 hour early, and race out of church after receiving communion. I know that The Villages has many activities planned everyday, but there should be a little time set aside for some religious reflection. My wife and I have a friendly bet on how many empty seats are available in the section we sit at after communion.

In Connecticut, our pastor has made numerous comments about not leaving early, and now stands at the exits when he doesn't officiate the Mass to greet the "early-birds".
St. Timothy's is beautiful church -- first church I had ever been to that had the service broadcast on TV screens through out the church. My church in the Chicago area is much smaller, so no need for TV screens. When I went to St. Timothy's 2 years ago during my first visit to TV, I was quite impressed that there was a sign language interpreter signing the Mass.

I grew up Catholic, and I remember people deliberately sitting in the back few rows of the church, then making their exit right out the door after communion. The last few rows of the church I grew up in were usually 90% vacant after communion.

Since I have been singing in the choir for 20+ yrs. now, no early exits for me . Looking forward to going back to one or more churches in TV when I am there next month.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:02 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Bieniaszek View Post

Oh dear heavens. Did I just read that saving seats extends to Mass?
Oh no. Would that be a venial or a mortal?
Old 05-12-2012, 08:47 AM
Sage

Back to what the original poster said....I always find it strange that a phone will go off in church (or whatever the gathering) "after" it's been asked for folks to turn off their cell-phones! I've seen folks "answer" the call in a loud "stage" whisper and sometimes carry on a conversation! This happened once at a church event, recently. The person, rather than turning it off got up and was walking out of the very large room, talking to the caller. The phone must have been turned onto "speaker" so we all got to hear the person on the other end. Amazing!!! If they're expecting an important call...an emergency for instance, could they not put it on viberate?? What call is so important that there can't be a call-back later (non-emergency calls of course)?? There is such a thing called "voice-mail"!!!
Old 05-12-2012, 09:56 AM
Sage

Having a cell phone on in a public venue is disrespectful of others. Whether it is church, a concert or a yoga class. There is the "vibrate" option for emergencies . I think the important thing is that people are still motivated to attend church, presumably to find some serenity and inner peace. I respect their right to decide long they stay. Everyone has their own way of worshipping.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:53 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Having a cell phone on in a public venue is disrespectful of others. Whether it is church, a concert or a yoga class. There is the "vibrate" option for emergencies . . . . .
I think the best 'reminder' about turning off cell phones was at my daughter's school:
"The only reason your phone should ring is if you are at the top of the organ transplant list. If your phone rings we will all stop talking so you can hear your doctor."

It worked!
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 05-12-2012, 02:15 PM
Sage

I have a friend, who EVERY TIME her cellphone rings she "has" to answer it! Generally it's her grown kids and she talks with them several times a day. If she and I are out, in a restaurant having some 'girl time'---the phone will ring and she'll have that conversation. It's annoying and it's rude! She could have it go to voice-mail and call them back when she's home and alone.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
I have a friend, who EVERY TIME her cellphone rings she "has" to answer it! Generally it's her grown kids and she talks with them several times a day. If she and I are out, in a restaurant having some 'girl time'---the phone will ring and she'll have that conversation. It's annoying and it's rude! She could have it go to voice-mail and call them back when she's home and alone.
I have the same girlfriend! When we go to lunch to have some 'girl time', she repeatedly answers the phone. She usually says "This is important, I'll just take a second" and then spends ten minutes arranging a tennis date and listening to the latest gossip, or talking to her sister, or her kids. And by the way, she thinks I'm rude because I don't have a cell phone, and therefore she she can't reach me whenever she wants. Needless to say, I haven't scheduled any lunches with her in a long time!

Whoops, sorry for the hijack, I just realized this is a Church Thread.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.