Looking for a moderate/liberal church

Closed Thread
Old 01-07-2012, 10:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts
Default liberal church

Thank you, Ed, you have articulated what I am looking for much better than I could. Also, I might add that by "moderate/liberal couple" I meant that one of us is more liberal than the other! But that's mostly from a political standpoint. Socially and religiously, we are both liberal.

In MI, some of our liberal churches have taken down the cross and eliminated the Lord's Prayer and any mention of Christ in their services. That would be too liberal for us; thus I came up, albeit a bit confusingly, with the term of "liberal leaning church." (It was late at night--sorry for any confusion.)

We do prefer a traditional service with a sermon, organ/piano (rather than band), choir (rather than praise teams), hymns, etc. So perhaps we would look for a church that offered both types of services to its members.

And thank you, everyone, for your suggestions.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:38 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Thank you, Ed, you have articulated what I am looking for much better than I could. Also, I might add that by "moderate/liberal couple" I meant that one of us is more liberal than the other! But that's mostly from a political standpoint. Socially and religiously, we are both liberal.

In MI, some of our liberal churches have taken down the cross and eliminated the Lord's Prayer and any mention of Christ in their services. That would be too liberal for us; thus I came up, albeit a bit confusingly, with the term of "liberal leaning church." (It was late at night--sorry for any confusion.)

We do prefer a traditional service with a sermon, organ/piano (rather than band), choir (rather than praise teams), hymns, etc. So perhaps we would look for a church that offered both types of services to its members.

I really think you would appreciate the experience at Hope Lutheran. It has beautiful music, offers both contemporary and traditional services, and is still bible based and uses traditional liturgy. I am also confident there are many other churches which would offer you a welcoming church home, a few of which have probably been mentioned. Good luck!
Old 01-07-2012, 11:39 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post

We belong to Fairway Christian Church (right next to Hope Lutheran on 466). It is non-denominational, offers both type of services, VERY friendly, is centered around Christ and His teachings, communion is offered every Sunday and is open to all believers, and offers dual membership. This means that you can be a member of your church back home AND Fairway; you don't have to make a choice. Come check us out. We have been there since moving here in 2004. Love it!
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 01-07-2012, 11:58 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
I really think you would appreciate the experience at Hope Lutheran. It has beautiful music, offers both contemporary and traditional services, and is still bible based and uses traditional liturgy. I am also confident there are many other churches which would offer you a welcoming church home, a few of which have probably been mentioned. Good luck!
Hope Lutheran posts their Sunday services on their web site (the entire service from start to finish), so people can get an idea of what the services are like. When I visited TV last summer I attended Hope Lutheran's Saturday late afternoon contemporary service, and I felt very welcome. While visiting TV last year I also attended New Covenant United Methodist's Sunday morning service and I also felt very welcome there, but I don't know if New Covenant UMC would be considered liberal/moderate.

I spent my first 36 years in the Catholic Church, but 15 years ago I "jumped ship", and I joined an Episcopal congregation near my home in the Chicago area because of issues with the Catholic Church.

If I do move to TV in the future, I will also be "church shopping." I hope you find a church that meets your spiritual needs.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:20 PM
Platinum member

Oh yes, be sure to visit New Covenant United Methodist church also. It is golf cart accessible --- behind Crispers. Members come from a variety of church traditions. Check out their web site and .listen to a sermon. Pastor Harold's sermons Make our Sunday.

http://www.newcovenantumc-fl.org/NS/index2.htm
Tampa, FL
Old 01-07-2012, 02:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avista View Post
Oh yes, be sure to visit New Covenant United Methodist church also. It is golf cart accessible --- behind Crispers. Members come from a variety of church traditions. Check out their web site and .listen to a sermon. Pastor Harold's sermons Make our Sunday.

http://www.newcovenantumc-fl.org/NS/index2.htm
We visited there on Palm Sunday last year. It is a very welcoming and enjoyable church, based on our visit.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:40 PM

We too were looking for a spiritual home that was more open and affirming. A friend suggested the Unitarian Universalist church. Not knowing much about it, we decided to check it out. We really felt instantly at home. What we most enjoy is the emphasis is on finding things we have in common rather than the things that often drive us apart. People come from all types of religious backgrounds and are very welcoming.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
When I moved to The Villages I was going to "church shop". I was concerned about finding a moderate/liberal church down hear. I found Hope Lutheran on the internet. Liked what I saw there and so choose to make it the first church I visited and well......I never went anywhere else. After the first service I attended I just knew that I had found not only a new church home but church family as well. I've now been to both Saturday and Sunday services and like them both. I've also gotten involved in several of the weekday church programs. Have been welcomed everywhere.

Suzanne
Old 02-12-2012, 01:00 PM

Try the UCC at the Villages. It is at 12514 County Road 101 in Oxford. 101 goes between CVS and Crispers, past the Methodist church. UCC on the left just beyond Parkwood. UCC is an "OPEN and AFFIRMING" congregation and very involved in mission work in the community and beyond. Service starts at 9:50 to allow 10 minutes of announcements before worship.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:26 PM
Gold member
Default Church

Quote:
For example: A liberal church has open communion
A conservative church limits communion to members

A liberal church may allow ordination of women, or women in the pulpit
A conservative church often limits the role of women in the hierarchy of the church

A liberal church may welcome people of all sexual orientations, perhaps even in the clergy and hierarchy
A conservative church may discourage homeosexuals as members, or certainly as members of the hierarchy

A liberal church may have some services that have more modern music and informal themes.
A conservative church may tend to have only traditional services

I am sure there are numerous other distinctions I have not mentioned, but you get the idea.

The Lutheran Church in America split into several factions (ELCA (liberal), Missouri Synod (cons.), Wisconsin Synod (cons.) and dozens of others) largely over differences on some of the above issues.
Thanks for your explanation!
Old 02-12-2012, 02:14 PM
Sage
Default You explained it very well

Quote:

A conservative church often limits the role of women in the hierarchy of the church

A liberal church may welcome people of all sexual orientations, perhaps even in the clergy and hierarchy
A conservative church may discourage homeosexuals as members, or certainly as members of the hierarchy

A liberal church may have some services that have more modern music and informal themes.

I am sure there are numerous other distinctions I have not mentioned, but you get the idea.

The Lutheran Church in America split into several factions (ELCA (liberal), Missouri Synod (cons.), Wisconsin Synod (cons.) and dozens of others) largely over differences on some of the above issues.

You managed to explain it very very well.

Our daughter and her husband left the R.C. church to raise their three children in the UNITED CHURCH OF CHRIST, which as another poster mentioned, would fit the poster's criteria.......plus issues mentioned above.
They have a husband / wife ministry team. United Church of Christ accepts everyone.

I know other Catholics who joined the Lutheran church and found it very welcoming.

I'm sure there are other denominations as well.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Well. Here's another way to look at it.

...I tried to post "You can't get to Heaven on Roller Skates'" from You Tube, but the link wouldn't come up.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gNdnv32gA4"]You can't get to Heaven on roller skates - YouTube[/ame]

\

Last edited by graciegirl; 02-12-2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:37 PM
Sage

Quote:

Excellent, thoughtful post as usual, eweissenbach.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:08 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
...I tried to post "You can't get to Heaven on Roller Skates'" from You Tube, but the link wouldn't come up.
You can't get to Heaven on roller skates - YouTube
Here ya go Gracie: You can't get to Heaven on roller skates - YouTube and it even came up in the quote. It's the same problem that's been discussed before where the link would not appear on IE but does in the source document.

BTW, you can get the link to appear if in YouTube you click the Share button then use the shortened address that comes up. That's what I did to make it work with IE in this post.
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 02-12-2012, 08:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillywho View Post
We belong to Fairway Christian Church (right next to Hope Lutheran on 466). It is non-denominational, offers both type of services, VERY friendly, is centered around Christ and His teachings, communion is offered every Sunday and is open to all believers, and offers dual membership. This means that you can be a member of your church back home AND Fairway; you don't have to make a choice. Come check us out. We have been there since moving here in 2004. Love it!
We attended Fairway Christian with some friends today for the contemporary service at 9 A.M. Very energetic and inspiring service.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.