Methodists?

Closed Thread
Old 06-04-2012, 08:39 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
How is a Methodist different from say a Baptist or a Lutheran?
I forgot to mention Baptist. I don't know a lot about this other then they baptize by emmersion. The Methodist and Lutheran baptize infants. Both churches accept emmersion baptisms. I don't believe Baptists accept infant baptisms. The Methodist church will baptize by emmersion if that is a persons choice.. I believe the Baptists believe that the Bible Literally word for word. I stand to be corrected on this.
Tampa, FL
Old 06-04-2012, 12:44 PM

Jeez, I don't check on you people for a few hours and you go crazy. Thanks for the leads.

Dave
Old 06-05-2012, 06:09 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avista View Post
I was raised Lutheran. There are different types. Missouri and Wisconsin Synods are more strict. ELCA (Hope Lutheran) is more moderate. By that I mean have women pasters etc. I find the ELCA Lutheran and Methodist are not that different in doctrine. Where I personally see the difference is the Lutheran church has more litergy. Many love the Litergy, others prefer a simpler worship service (Methodist). Even the Methodist alter is usually much more simple than the Lutheran. Before church starts, one is usually in prayer at a Lutheran service. The Methodist church is very welcoming and this time is used to welcome those near you. Even the pastors usually are chatting with everyone.
I like both churches, but my husband prefers the simpler service. We both love New Covenant Methodist.
I spent my first 36 yrs in the Catholic Church. I joined the Episcopal Church 16 yrs. ago (I had lots of issues with the Catholic Church). The liturgy in the Episcopal Church is about 90% similar to the Catholic mass, but in the Episcopal Church woman can be ordained as priests, priests can marry, it's a much more progressive church. The ELCA and the Episcopal Church are in "communion" with each other (at least I believe that is the correct term), so I believe an Episcopal priest can preside at a liturgy in an ELCA church and vice versa.

I don't believe Missouri Synod Lutheran churches ordain women -- but someone correct me on that if I am wrong.

I have been to both Hope Lutheran and New Covenant UMC and enjoyed both churches services. The service at New Covenant was somewhat different than an Episcopal liturgy. The pastor at New Covenant gave an excellent sermon the Sunday I was there. The liturgy at Hope Lutheran was very similar to the liturgy at my Episcopal church up north. I hope to attend both Hope Lutheran and New Covenant when I return to TV in a few days.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:20 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
I spent my first 36 yrs in the Catholic Church. I joined the Episcopal Church 16 yrs. ago (I had lots of issues with the Catholic Church). The liturgy in the Episcopal Church is about 90% similar to the Catholic mass, but in the Episcopal Church woman can be ordained as priests, priests can marry, it's a much more progressive church. The ELCA and the Episcopal Church are in "communion" with each other (at least I believe that is the correct term), so I believe an Episcopal priest can preside at a liturgy in an ELCA church and vice versa.

I don't believe Missouri Synod Lutheran churches ordain women -- but someone correct me on that if I am wrong.

I have been to both Hope Lutheran and New Covenant UMC and enjoyed both churches services. The service at New Covenant was somewhat different than an Episcopal liturgy. The pastor at New Covenant gave an excellent sermon the Sunday I was there. The liturgy at Hope Lutheran was very similar to the liturgy at my Episcopal church up north. I hope to attend both Hope Lutheran and New Covenant when I return to TV in a few days.
I agreed with what you said. Like Hope Lutheran. Like I said, husband prefers an informal litergy so we are members of New Coverant Methodist. New Covenant is a wonderful church with much to offer.
Tampa, FL
Old 06-05-2012, 06:50 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avista View Post
I was raised Lutheran. There are different types. Missouri and Wisconsin Synods are more strict. ELCA (Hope Lutheran) is more moderate. By that I mean have women pasters etc. I find the ELCA Lutheran and Methodist are not that different in doctrine. Where I personally see the difference is the Lutheran church has more litergy. Many love the Litergy, others prefer a simpler worship service (Methodist). Even the Methodist alter is usually much more simple than the Lutheran. Before church starts, one is usually in prayer at a Lutheran service. The Methodist church is very welcoming and this time is used to welcome those near you. Even the pastors usually are chatting with everyone.
I like both churches, but my husband prefers the simpler service. We both love New Covenant Methodist.
Methodist do better with pot luck dinners; especially love that green bean casserole.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:10 AM
Platinum member
Default A bit of trivia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post

John Wesely, attibuted to be founder of Methodism, was an Episicapal priest until the day he died.
Tampa, FL
Old 06-05-2012, 08:04 AM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default Church attire

You all are too funny! Seems funny to me that up North (remember we are very conservtive midwesterners) it is acceptable to wear more informal attire to church services (Baptist type) and down south I was the only one in white Capris!!!! Maybe it is an age related thing since I am on the younger side ie 50's. Anyone else notice this?
Old 06-05-2012, 01:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Methodist do better with pot luck dinners; especially love that green bean casserole.
Hey you have never been to my church's annual chili dinner held early in February each year -- but then you would have to trudge through the Chicago snow to get there. .
Old 06-05-2012, 01:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmith View Post
You all are too funny! Seems funny to me that up North (remember we are very conservtive midwesterners) it is acceptable to wear more informal attire to church services (Baptist type) and down south I was the only one in white Capris!!!! Maybe it is an age related thing since I am on the younger side ie 50's. Anyone else notice this?
My small church up north is not air conditioned in the main worship space. This past Sunday was the last Sunday for our choir to sing until after Labor Day. I was dying in my choir robe and it was only 80 degrees outside on Sunday morning. And I was wearing capri pants. You should see what some of the teenage girls wear (Daisy Dukes--not appropriate for church -- now I sound like my parents).
Old 03-14-2013, 01:00 PM
Send a message via AIM to Grill Meister Send a message via Yahoo to Grill Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDave View Post
My wife would like to try a Methodist Church tomorrow morning, but at my instructions didn't bring anything at all dressy. Any suggestions?
New Covenant UMC is located behind Publix on 466 and most dress casual. We just had our first service in the new sanctuary and it is an awe inspiring beauty. There is a very large stain glass mural of Jesus taming the sea that will almost bring you to your knees. Our ministerial staff delivers some very meaningful services....I wish the songs selected for the congregation were a little more inspiring, but I can't sing very well anyway.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:34 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

I can guarantee you that the pastor at New Convenant will not bore you. Rev. Harold Hendren is one of the most interesting speakers I've heard and I have been going to either a Baptist or Methodist Church since I was A small child. A number of excellent churches in TV----bottom line---makes little difference as long as you are a Christian----attend any one of them.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:20 PM
Default Come to New Covenant

Come to any Sat. or Sun. service at New Covenant, and you will be warmly welcomed. Casual dress is very appropriate there, and you'll love it!

After a lifetime of adventures, the adventure of a lifetime.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:35 AM
Default Oxford UMC

Small, casual, with an Irish pastor.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjdjmd View Post
Come to any Sat. or Sun. service at New Covenant, and you will be warmly welcomed. Casual dress is very appropriate there, and you'll love it!
I have to respectfully disagree. I was a member at new covenant for a while, but ended up leaving because I have never felt so cold and lonely in worship services as I did at New Covenant. I never found any friendly faces or friendly spaces.. and I looked.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:17 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowgirl View Post
I have to respectfully disagree. I was a member at new covenant for a while, but ended up leaving because I have never felt so cold and lonely in worship services as I did at New Covenant. I never found any friendly faces or friendly spaces.. and I looked.
Shadowgirl: Sorry you didn't "connect" at this church. Sometimes that happens in a large church like NCUMC. Perhaps a small congregation would make you feel more welcome and comfortable. Another possibility would be to join a small group or sunday school class where you can better have conversations with members of a large church like New Covenant. Finally, you might want to talk with the Pastor regarding not finding friendly faces or spaces-----anyone of the pastors at this church would be interested in your experience and perceptions.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.