Muslim or Christian

Closed Thread
Old 08-15-2013, 05:25 AM
Sage
Default Muslim or Christian

Bill Cosby takes a position on religion.

Bill Cosby: We Should All be More Like Muslims

I do not want to give up Christianity as that would mean all kinds of vices that we all enjoy that the Muslim faith does not allow. Booze and open sex would be no no. Some devout Christians don't want that, but the vast majority of Christians are in support of drinking and sexually explicit activity in public, movies etc. Would anybody here totally give up all the pleasure we have just because a god, either Christian or Muslim commanded it?
I do believe if we only had one god, there would be less problems.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:42 AM
Sage

There is only one God
Old 08-15-2013, 05:53 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougB View Post
There is only one God
That may be, but my point is as Christians, we enjoy being able to pick and choose the Commandments we like to follow and ignore the rest.

Muslims are forced to follow all of the commandments. Too Restrictive for us part time followers of faith.

We would definitely be better at following god if we were Muslims, but I for one don't want to be forced to follow all of Gods rules. Let me decide for myself the ones I will follow. I like beer for one thing.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:36 AM
Platinum member

There is only one God but that said, there is no way in hell I would be Muslim. Way too radical and way too hot in Florida to wear a burka that covers head to toe.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

"...but the vast majority of Christians are in support of drinking and sexually explicit activity in public, movies etc...."

Really? I do believe this to be a significant bit of poetic lisence to facilitate a controversial commentary!!

btk
Old 08-15-2013, 06:48 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
"...but the vast majority of Christians are in support of drinking and sexually explicit activity in public, movies etc...."

Really? I do believe this to be a significant bit of poetic lisence to facilitate a controversial commentary!!

btk
I disagree, especially since most of us here in the villages partake in a drink or two and our wives don't cover their legs and faces. I would never get my wife in a burka and she even dances at the squares. I am just saying, that Muslims are more devout in their commitment to god than we Christians, but that is the way I like it and would never change.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeM View Post
There is only one God but that said, there is no way in hell I would be Muslim. Way too radical and way too hot in Florida to wear a burka that covers head to toe.
That is how I feel too. AND Sweetie wouldn't have to wear a burka. What's wrong with that picture?

I like our Christian stuff that says...Do unto others, the big TEN Commandments and the additions I have made as the family Matriarch.

Don't have unprotected sex.
Don't drink and drive.
Save your money.

I am kinda kiddin' and kinda serious about the above. Even for the non religious, these are good ways to live your life, be happy, stay outa trouble and have genuine friends.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:42 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingnut View Post
That may be, but my point is as Christians, we enjoy being able to pick and choose the Commandments we like to follow and ignore the rest.

Muslims are forced to follow all of the commandments. Too Restrictive for us part time followers of faith.

We would definitely be better at following god if we were Muslims, but I for one don't want to be forced to follow all of Gods rules. Let me decide for myself the ones I will follow. I like beer for one thing.
I lived very near a mosque for twenty years in West Chester, Ohio and Muslims are a good deal like anyone else in that they can be more or less involved and devout in their faith. The really scary part is that...being really devout is sometimes becoming very radical. And thinking to harm infidels, who would be Christians and non Muslims...

A very close friend's Catholic daughter married a Muslim and their children go to Muslim school but she doesn't wear a burka (are we spelling this right?) but she does defer to her husband in all decisions. Maybe defer is too soft a word for someone like me who thinks that women are very equal to men. I am trying to write fairly. It is a very different concept to what I am used to and I know that some very conservative Christian religions do very much believe that a man is the head of his house and a women should obey. But not my belief's....thank God for Henry who is my partner and thinks of women as equal to men...except he is physically stronger of course.

I want to respect people of all faiths and find good in them, but sometimes I worry about radical Muslims.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:44 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I lived very near a mosque for twenty years in West Chester, Ohio and Muslims are a good deal like anyone else in that they can be more or less involved and devout in their faith. The really scary part is that...being really devout is sometimes becoming very radical. And thinking to harm infidels, who would be Christians and non Muslims...

A very close friend's Catholic daughter married a Muslim and their children go to Muslim school but she doesn't wear a burka (are we spelling this right?) but she does defer to her husband in all decisions. Maybe defer is too soft a word for someone like me who thinks that women are very equal to men. I am trying to write fairly. It is a very different concept to what I am used to and I know that some very conservative Christian religions do very much believe that a man is the head of his house and a women should obey. But not my belief's....thank God for Henry who is my partner and thinks of women as equal to men...except he is physically stronger of course.

I want to respect people of all faiths and find good in them, but sometimes I worry about radical Muslims.
Hey, we're with ya all the way. The way they roll is far too restrictive for us, that don't make them wrong, just WAY to out there for us.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:48 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingnut View Post
Bill Cosby takes a position on religion.

Bill Cosby: We Should All be More Like Muslims

I do not want to give up Christianity as that would mean all kinds of vices that we all enjoy that the Muslim faith does not allow. Booze and open sex would be no no. Some devout Christians don't want that, but the vast majority of Christians are in support of drinking and sexually explicit activity in public, movies etc. Would anybody here totally give up all the pleasure we have just because a god, either Christian or Muslim commanded it?
I do believe if we only had one god, there would be less problems.
You mean if we had one religion? In any event, Islam has a strict set of guidelines true but the flip side is it is fundamentally a violent religion. I know I will get a lot of "no, they're just like anyone else comments" but let's face it ... the have a LOT of radicals (percentage wise) in their faith compared to contemporary Christianity, Judaism, agnostics and scientologists etc. We all pretty much know that even if it's not PC to say it. People forget that Mohammed was a warrior ... and a very good one at that. The historical legacy is Islam was largely spread by the sword.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:10 AM
Sage

"Muslims are more devout in their commitment to god than we Christians"

I would suggest that is an opinion or feeling or rationale and not a fact.

btk
Old 08-15-2013, 11:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Hope the moderator removes this thread
Old 08-15-2013, 11:49 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
Hope the moderator removes this thread
Why karostay? I did not see anything mean said or am I insensitive?
Old 08-15-2013, 12:09 PM
Sage

I too am interested why anybody would be appealing to the moderator for anything that has been said in this thread.

It is the minority opinion like that which helped political to become history.

I think it is normal to discuss, debate, disagree, promote, praise and differ in belief and opinion.

We respect your opinion but not the arbitrary decision that something is offensive......enough to entertain the moderator with a suggestion.

There is a better and much easier option.....discontinue reading a thread one feels is offensive or not to ones liking.

Remeber no struggle....no progress.

btk
Old 08-15-2013, 12:28 PM
Sage

Yea, time to change the subject from political to something less offensive.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.