New Covenant United Methodist Church

Closed Thread
Old 09-17-2011, 09:34 PM
Sage
Default New Covenant United Methodist Church

I would like to visit New Covenant United Methodist Church when I return to TV in October. I have checked out their web site, and it seems like a very welcoming church to non-Methodists. Is this true, or will I stick out like sore thumb?

I visited Hope Lutheran Church in July, and it was very welcoming. I have been a member of an Episcopal church for 15 years, and the service at Hope Lutheran was pretty similar to the services at the Episcopal church I am a member of.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:53 PM
Sage

Where is New Covenent, @Schaumburger? I am friends with a couple, a nice man and woman I met swimming in our community pool at night, who belong to a Methodist Church in or near Leesburg. They are fantastic, caring, generous, unbelievable strong people; they're funny too.

He helps his church with the totally volunteer Meals on Wheels type program connected with TV's Presbryterian Church. Both churches also help with the local community garden. Amazing churches and an amazing couple.

There must be many more like this quiet conservative couple living in TV. Those two churches serve 200 people a day meals and companionship. Who know what else they provide tax free and I don't even care what else it comes from. It put me to shame. Totally volunteer. Whatever The Villages, Florida, is; there are some amazing people living here.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
I would like to visit New Covenant United Methodist Church when I return to TV in October. I have checked out their web site, and it seems like a very welcoming church to non-Methodists. Is this true, or will I stick out like sore thumb?

I visited Hope Lutheran Church in July, and it was very welcoming. I have been a member of an Episcopal church for 15 years, and the service at Hope Lutheran was pretty similar to the services at the Episcopal church I am a member of.
I haven't been to New Covenant UMC yet but will probably visit there when I get to TV mid October. I can't speak for them specifically, but I've been a United Methodist for 40 years at 5 or 6 different churches as we moved around the country. All have been very welcoming to Methodists and non-Methodists alike. New Covenant UMC intrigues me since currently my church is Covenant UMC. My biggest concern is its size. I'm not sure how I would like a church that seems to be as large as it is. I am also going to visit Hope Lutheran. This would be going back to my roots since I was raised Lutheran. They have a craft and a quilting group there which I really like and its size seems to be more what I am used to. Both can be reached by golf cart so that is nice. Though New Covenant would be a much longer drive from Sabal Chase where I will be living. Let me know what you think of New Covenant. I am looking for good music program since I really would like to be involved in the choir where ever I land.
Suzanne
Old 09-17-2011, 10:32 PM
Sage

I pray God's blessings reign down on you, Suzanne at Hope Lutheran's. Let us know how it goes guys. Blessings.
Old 09-18-2011, 01:10 AM
Sage

I like New Covenant, they are friendly and welcoming. But I prefer a smaller church. I wish I could find one with gospel music.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:14 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkcunningham1 View Post
Where is New Covenent, @Schaumburger? I am friends with a couple, a nice man and woman I met swimming in our community pool at night, who belong to a Methodist Church in or near Leesburg. They are fantastic, caring, generous, unbelievable strong people; they're funny too.

He helps his church with the totally volunteer Meals on Wheels type program connected with TV's Presbryterian Church. Both churches also help with the local community garden. Amazing churches and an amazing couple.

There must be many more like this quiet conservative couple living in TV. Those two churches serve 200 people a day meals and companionship. Who know what else they provide tax free and I don't even care what else it comes from. It put me to shame. Totally volunteer. Whatever The Villages, Florida, is; there are some amazing people living here.
From New Covenant's web site: We are located just one block off Highway 466, behind
Southern Trace Shopping Center, The Villages, Florida.
Our campus is at the corner of County Road 101 and Woodridge Drive, adjacent to and behind the
Southern Trace Shopping Center on Rt. 466.
3270 Woodridge Drive

Hope that helps.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:19 AM
Sage

Quote:
From New Covenant's web site: We are located just one block off Highway 466, behind
Southern Trace Shopping Center, The Villages, Florida.
Our campus is at the corner of County Road 101 and Woodridge Drive, adjacent to and behind the
Southern Trace Shopping Center on Rt. 466.
3270 Woodridge Drive

Hope that helps.
It's behind Crispers, where the TOTV lunches are held.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:10 AM
Platinum member

It is Sunday, and we are heading to New Covenant in a few minutes. Yes, I would say the majority of members come from other Christian traditions including myself. Yes, it is a large church, but one way that keeps us small is our small groups. We have a great choir and other types of music as well. Another way we get to know each other is Table Talk. If you sign up, groups of 4 couples are randomly put together for a once a month dinner for 4 months either at homes or a restaurant. Many classes and many ministries are available. This is a friendly church, and golf cart accessible. Also let me add we have great pastors.
Tampa, FL
Old 09-18-2011, 06:47 AM
Default New Covernant

When we moved to TV five years ago we decided to visit several churches before making a commitment. The first week we went to New Covernant and were impressed with the church, friendliness, minister, and sermon. The second week we went to another church. The third week we decided to stop the visits and go back to New Covernant. We joined soon after and have never been sorry. It is such a friendly church. I would say close to half those who are members or attend regularly come from non Methodist backgrounds. We have four ministers on staff and two of them come from non Methodist backgrounds. Very ecumenical. The mens prayer breakfast every Tuesday morning is good. During the winter months around 225 men attend each week. After the Breakfast many of us go out as a group to golf. There are many programs at the church during the week. Some are faith based and some are self improvement, entertainment based and educational. Don't let size scare you because the size offers so many more opportunities, participatory programs and faith based activities.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:30 AM
Sage

Avista and RayB, Thanks for the information about New Covenant. It is interesting for me to see how other denominations worship. The Episcopal parish I belong to up here in suburban Chicago has very few "cradle" Episcopalians. About 90% of my parish's members come from other Christian denominations, probably 70% are former Roman Catholics. Smaller churches are nice, everyone knows your name, pastor knows everyone's name. But larger churches can offer many programs that smaller churches can't.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:35 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Avista and RayB, Thanks for the information about New Covenant. It is interesting for me to see how other denominations worship. The Episcopal parish I belong to up here in suburban Chicago has very few "cradle" Episcopalians. About 90% of my parish's members come from other Christian denominations, probably 70% are former Roman Catholics. Smaller churches are nice, everyone knows your name, pastor knows everyone's name. But larger churches can offer many programs that smaller churches can't.
A bit of trivia: Did you know John Wesley (accredited with beginning Methodistism)was an Episcopal priest until the day he died.
Tampa, FL
Old 09-26-2011, 06:33 PM

First off, prior to coming to The Villages in June, I had been a Methodist "up north" for over 30 years. I was very active..my last "jobs" were Chair of Trustees ,Chair of Media Ministry and District Treasurer. Naturally, I started going to New Covenant. After 4 or 5 weeks, I felt something was missing, so I started looking around, finally settling at Fairway Christian. I feel more a part of this congregation. I don't look to a church for just Sunday services, but for total fulfillment. I guess I was too involved in the politics in my Methodist church up north, and I carried that with me down here. The long and short of it is: many of the churches in the area do a great job making you feel welcome, and have a great mission program. I guess it all boils down to where you feel you fit in. Whew! Now I feel better!

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as ever you can."----John Wesley
Old 09-26-2011, 09:10 PM

I'd like to invite you to visit Community United Methodist in Fruitland Park. It's at the end of 466A almost to 441. We have traditional services at 8 and 11 and a contemporary service at 9:30. The church is very ministry and outreach oriented. The Good Samaritan ministry does many community services including the Meals on Wheels with North Lake Presbyterian. We also have Sunday School for all ages, Bible Study groups, fellowship groups and Weds. night dinners. The pastor, Mike Fordham, is an outstanding Bible-based preacher. Hope to see you there. (At the traditional services, I'll be at the piano. Come by and say hi)
Old 10-10-2011, 12:15 PM
Sage
Default Questions about Methodist service

I went to New Covenant United Methodist yesterday. Very good preacher. Enjoyed the choir -- wish there were 30+ people in my church choir. Coming from a Catholic/Episcopalian background, I have a few questions: 1. There was no communion distributed at this service. Is communion ever distributed at Methodist services? 2. The Nicene Creed was not recited -- is that not done during Methodist services? The pastor did not wear vestments -- do Methodist pastors normally not wear vestments during the service? The people in the congregation were quite friendly. It is certainly a busy place on Sunday at 10:15 a.m.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:35 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
I went to New Covenant United Methodist yesterday. Very good preacher. Enjoyed the choir -- wish there were 30+ people in my church choir. Coming from a Catholic/Episcopalian background, I have a few questions: 1. There was no communion distributed at this service. Is communion ever distributed at Methodist services? 2. The Nicene Creed was not recited -- is that not done during Methodist services? The pastor did not wear vestments -- do Methodist pastors normally not wear vestments during the service? The people in the congregation were quite friendly. It is certainly a busy place on Sunday at 10:15 a.m.
Communion is offered the 1st Sunday of the month and on other special days ie Good Friday etc. Nicene Creed is recited--sometimes when there is communiion--sometimes at other times. Our pastors are more casual, but usually wear vestments when there is communion. Sat nights are even more casual.
Tampa, FL
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.