St.Mark: Decline In Members

Closed Thread
Old 02-24-2011, 03:52 PM
Default Donations

Please send all excess contributions to "The Holy Trinity of the First Tee". The skins pot could use the money.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:29 PM
Veteran member

I am so happy to be home on a Sunday morning, reading the Sunday paper over a brewing pot of coffee on my quiet lanai. No getting dressed...no parking problems...no losing my money into a collection plate and no crowds. ahhhhh

New Jersey,
New York
Germany,
California
Northern MN,
The Villages
Next stop?
Old 02-25-2011, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9-Lovers View Post
Informer, if you think that is what Jesus would do, then follow His example and find a new church. Don't hold this resentment in your heart too long; it will make you sick.

Forgive.
Done that months ago!
Old 02-25-2011, 07:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Informer View Post
Done that months ago!

I am no scholar and I am certainly not someone who should be taken as a moral example. I don't know what will happen to a church that has mean spirited people on their pivotal committees. But people leaving is one thing that does happen in these situations.

I hope you found a place that is more right for you.

And when you pray there, say one for me.

Last edited by graciegirl; 02-25-2011 at 01:35 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:10 AM
Founder

Informer! What would you like to see happen in your former church (St. Mark') What would be a satisfactory outcome? Would you come back to ST. Marks if they put the crucifix back in the main altar?

I'm also wondering why this topic is the only thing the original poster has to talk about. It seems almost like an unhealthy obsession. In each of his/her posts there seems to be the same level of bitterness and anger. There is no participation in any of the hundreds of other topics here.

We use to belong to a church in Belleview, but found out that the pastor was using the collection plate as his own personal ATM. When the board of directors found out about it, he fired them all. Then the members found out about it, he threw us out of the church (about 120). The guy is no longer a minister. He's now a youth counselor up in the Carolinas. How scary is that?

But, life goes on and we have put this whole thing behind us. I laugh to think that we actually liked this guy and didn't see what he was doing.

I think that if a person has already left the parish and has begun a new association elsewhere, then these other issues are history.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:26 AM

Unhealthy obsession ? No. I think one has to be a good listener sometimes and realize the pain that was experienced by me and others and try to sympathize with the person

First, our parish was (and still is) a young parish; going on it's sixth year now.

The energy in the community was phenomenal; we had a dynamic pastor who by the way was 1) a first time pastor 2) first time building a new $ 8 million dollar church.

The feeling one received when entering a sunday liturgy there was as if you never left home! That has changed.

Realize this setting which is what actually happened: We were planning the dedication of our new church which should be a joyous occation for all involved. Instead we were told that our pastor was being transferred days after the dedication before the dedication. Despite our repeated attempts to at least delay the transfer until the end of the year, we were given some lame excuse which no one accepted. Why in God's name would the superiors of that pastor distroy a whole community like that!

It was cold, callous and un-Christian.

There was no wrong doing at all from the pastor; financial, spiritual or moral to justify THE WAY THIS TOOK PLACE. We all know clergy are transferred; and would have accepted it with sorrow but to run this pastor out of town as if he were a criminal is in my estimation morally wrong;many saw it that way and have left the church.

What would I like to see happen probably will not happen; I for one would like to thank that young pastor for what he did; for giving us old people for the time he was here hope and excitment in our faith. That despite those whom he trusted and betrayed him there are many, many more who feel he is still the pastor of there hearts and souls!

Father Simon, thank you were ever you are!
Old 02-25-2011, 11:10 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
Informer! What would you like to see happen in your former church (St. Mark') What would be a satisfactory outcome? Would you come back to ST. Marks if they put the crucifix back in the main altar?

I'm also wondering why this topic is the only thing the original poster has to talk about. It seems almost like an unhealthy obsession. In each of his/her posts there seems to be the same level of bitterness and anger. There is no participation in any of the hundreds of other topics here.

We use to belong to a church in Belleview, but found out that the pastor was using the collection plate as his own personal ATM. When the board of directors found out about it, he fired them all. Then the members found out about it, he threw us out of the church (about 120). The guy is no longer a minister. He's now a youth counselor up in the Carolinas. How scary is that?

But, life goes on and we have put this whole thing behind us. I laugh to think that we actually liked this guy and didn't see what he was doing.

I think that if a person has already left the parish and has begun a new association elsewhere, then these other issues are history.

I have to agree with the talk host, this does appear to be bordering on an unhealthy obsession for informer. It appears the subject has been "beaten to death", time to move on.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:33 AM
Default Time to move on

"Amen"
Old 02-25-2011, 12:19 PM

Just saying how it was. If the out come were more postive and I stated that here....would people say...this is obsessive?

Just giving you my experience! I've moved on and have continued practicing my faith.

Would you tell someone who is raped and a year shares that bad experience with you as obsessive?

Not being there I guess it's hard for you all to relate to.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:21 PM

Amen to a church declining in members ???

Giving you one reason why!
Old 02-25-2011, 01:29 PM
Veteran member
Default obsessive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Informer View Post
Just saying how it was. If the out come were more postive and I stated that here....would people say...this is obsessive?

Just giving you my experience! I've moved on and have continued practicing my faith.

Would you tell someone who is raped and a year shares that bad experience with you as obsessive?

Not being there I guess it's hard for you all to relate to.
I think the moving of a cross and transfer of a priest being compared to someone being raped might be a good definition of obsessive.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:43 PM

Definition

An obsession is an unwelcome, uncontrollable, and persistent idea, thought, image, or emotion that a person cannot help thinking even though it creates significant distress or anxiety.

Talking about one's experiences and having an unwelcomed, uncontrollable idea, thought, etc. does not define me or this thread.

If I'm the only one talking about it seems odd....maybe....but not obsessive!

The comparison is not in the action...it's in the lack of reaction from people who are indifferent to other peoples situations....they live in an artificial community!
Old 02-25-2011, 04:18 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Informer, you stated that you:

1)spoke to those in power about your distress over this situation, to no avail,
2)made a move to another church where you feel more comfortable,
3)have forgiven those who you felt betrayed the previous pastor, and those who donated

but still feel the need to inform the rest of the world, and dwell on this unfortunate situation, then ... yes ... you are obsessing.

Make yourself put this out of your mind. Ask God to help you. Find new activities or things to think about instead of this issue.

You need to move past this situation.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:22 PM

I'm sorry but I very much disagree with you.

Don't you ever discuss with your friends situations...things that HAVE happened to you (good or bad)...even from your past ????

If the answer is yes...so why do you call it obsessive?
If the answer is no...how sad!

I've stated the good things that happened while I was at St Mark and the bad! These are my REAL experiences! No way will I forget them!

What I informed the rest of the world was the fact that membership is in decline at St Mark. This came from their own bulletin via their web site. So it's not something very one else does not know about.

I think there are people in this forum who can not deal with reality. To have an adult conversation about this topic is not possible. If the topic was golf carts would that be obsessive; if the topic was politics would that be obsessive.

How sad to live in such a defined little world and not understand anothers situation.

Since this conversation is going nowhere fast, this will be my parting reply.

I will continue this conversation in another venue and discuss my experience here with a more open minded group of people.

Thanks for the imput or the lack thereof!

Informer signing off.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:26 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

I'm glad we had the chance to get to know you a little bit. Maybe you'll change your mind and decide to join in our discussions about a variety of other topics. I hope so.

Take care and God bless.

Mrs. K9

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.