St. Timothy's Opportunities to serve others

Closed Thread
Old 03-12-2012, 06:32 PM
Default St. Timothy's Opportunities to serve others

My greatest desire upon retirement is to serve others and volunteer, particularly through the church. Can anyone share options or what you have found fulfilling?
Old 03-12-2012, 09:08 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

i enjoy crocheting...so in my retirement, once i complete my gifts and requests, i crochet lapghans...was going to sell them once upon a time - until i took a bunch to a nursing home where most residents came from low income families...i donated them at christmas time so residents without a christmas gift would have something to unwrap that day. the size of the lapghan is perfect for those who use a wheelchair, too. and they are great for keeping the winter chill away while riding in a golf cart!

i also enjoy saving $$$...so the money i save using grocery store coupons goes into a jar after each trip to the store...this past christmas was my first time figuring out what to do with the accumulated cash...i called my heating oil business for my house in maine and asked if there were people in my town who needed assistance staying warm...they found me a resident and i sent them a check so that some family could be warm for a while.

i have found no pleasure greater than the 'thank you' that comes from doing something good for someone.

good luck in finding your rewarding experience.

Last edited by njbchbum; 03-13-2012 at 12:06 AM.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
i enjoy crocheting...so in my retirement, once i complete my gifts and requests, i crochet lapghans...was going to sell them once upon a time - until i took a bunch to a nursing home where most residents came from low income families...i donated them at christmas time so residents without a christmas gift would have something to unwrap that day. the size of the lapghan is perfect for those who use a wheelchair, too. and they are great for keeping the winter chill away while riding in a golf cart!

i also enjoy saving $$$...so the money i save using grocery store coupons goes into a jar after each trip to the store...this past christmas was my first time figuring out what to do with the accumulated cash...i called my heating oil business for my house in maine and asked if there were people in my town who needed assistance staying warm...they found me a resident and i sent them a check so that some family could be warm for a while.

i have found no pleasure greater that the 'thank you' that comes from doing something good for someone.

good luck in finding your rewarding experience.
I just love you. Yes I do.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:06 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

aw shucks, gracie! thanx! and right back atcha, girl!

Old 03-15-2012, 03:05 PM
Veteran member

Is there a St. Vincent de Paul Society there or a ladies auxilary of the Knights of Columbus to help organize the ladies volunteer work?

If not, get one started! Several neighboring parishes here have one or both. Our parish had to disband the Ladies Auxilary some years ago due to infighting. My wife tried to start it up this year as I am Grand Knight, but was warned against, so they do the work unofficially.

Hope one is started by the time we get down there. Weather this Winter has been warm and Spring has sprung.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:21 PM
Location: Brooklyn, NY Queens, NY Village of Summerhill, Village of Santiago

There are many elderly people in The Villages that can no longer get to St Timothy's due to vision problems (Can't drive a golf cart anymore) I called St Timothy's but they could not offer a solution. Perhaps you would be willing to organize a car pool to Sunday mass at St Timothy's. Thanks for listening.

Last edited by cathyw; 08-19-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:21 PM

And I can not drive either We will move into Buttonwood May 2013 so i would definitely use this service too!!!
Old 08-19-2012, 04:39 PM
Platinum member

Consider volunteering at St. Theresa's Church on Rt 301 in Belleview. According to the pastor, they are supporting over sixty different ongoing outreach programs. They have a soup kitchen and a thrift shop operating regularly. The area is rural Marion County, with many needy folks. You can get addicted to the human kindness around there.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:14 PM

I am not yet a Village resident, but when I am, I will certainly look into these wonderful suggestions. You all are wonderful and I hope to meet some of you soon on my next visit to TV in November. God Bless.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.