2012 Tax Preparation ??

Closed Thread
Old 12-10-2012, 10:49 AM
Default 2012 Tax Preparation ??

Can anyone recommend a good tax preparation service?

We will be moving to the Villages the week of December 16 (sooooo excited)

thanks
Tina and Tom
Old 12-31-2012, 12:06 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT View Post

thanks
Tina and Tom
Turbotax
Old 12-31-2012, 12:18 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Smile Recommendation

I would strongly recommend Mark Murphy, CPA. He has done our taxes for
years and we are VERY pleased with him !! His eMail is:
mmurphy@murphycpafirm.com and phone: 352-897-6715. I believe he has really optimized my tax obligations.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:31 PM
Sage
Smile

Mike Fisette at Allstate on 466 in front of Walmart. 753-4340. Excellent.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:59 PM
Default tax

We us H&R Block had very good results
Old 12-31-2012, 01:21 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian View Post
Turbotax
By the time you fill-out the accountant's three to five page questionnaire, you could enter the same data into TurboTax--all for under $50. The accountant plugs your data into an enhanced version of TT. (The enhanced version of TT allows for unlimited number of returns.) My retired relatives are also stuck in the same accountant groove. If they would only try it once, they'd never go back to the accountant for $250-$350. If you were self-employed and required an accountant for business, that might be a different story but most personal returns are not complicated, and TT couldn't make the tax prep process any easier.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryoung View Post
By the time you fill-out the accountant's three to five page questionnaire, you could enter the same data into TurboTax--all for under $50. The accountant plugs your data into an enhanced version of TT. (The enhanced version of TT allows for unlimited number of returns.) My retired relatives are also stuck in the same accountant groove. If they would only try it once, they'd never go back to the accountant for $250-$350. If you were self-employed and required an accountant for business, that might be a different story but most personal returns are not complicated, and TT couldn't make the tax prep process any easier.
I agree with the TURBO TAX recommendation and I was self employed as a
REALTOR and also had 3 rental properties and it walked me through everything without a problem and the program was under $100. Have also used it for friends and relatives and saved them money. Just have to be patient, take your time, and be willing to do a little research if you're questioning something. But I am the odd ball that loves to do taxes so maybe that is why I find it so easy to work with.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:01 PM
Sage
Smile

Quote:

thanks
Tina and Tom
You're already here; It's amazing how time flies.

You forgot to mention whether your tax situation is simple or compex. If it's relatively simple, you can go to AARP Tax Aid in The Villages. Even if your net worth is high, they will do it. It's free and they do good work. Many, if not all, of the volunteers are retired accountants.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:45 PM

Is Turbo Tax good for the investment stuff also? Will it walk you through the investment stuff and employee expenses for someone who travels internationally?
Old 01-24-2013, 08:53 PM

Yes, turbo tax will walk you thru everything. I used to work for H&R Block, and just like anything else, how we'll your tax return is done depends on hoe much experience your tax preparer has and hoe much effort they care to put in. I worked for a CPA too. Do you realize that in most CPA firms, the CPA interviews you and then a staff acct. does your return, not the CPA. Also, CPA's send their staff to H&R Block tax classes--been there, seen happen. I am a CPA so have nothing against them, but income taxes are a very small part of the CPA test. This is ALL H&R Block does and Turbo Tax really does it better-- because the program asks ALL the questions every time. It doesn't depend on how knowledgeable your tax preparer is. Go to AARP as mentioned by someone else--they are volunteering their time--they WANT to do taxes, they are trained and they know what they are doing.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:49 AM
Default tax preparer

Quote:

thanks
Tina and Tom
Howard Heinecke is an Enrolled Agent, which means he could represent clients in front of the IRS if needed. He is knowledgeable, thorough and affordable. He will come to your home or you to his. His number is
352-347-6780.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:47 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryoung View Post
A good accountant doesn't plug your info into TT. They review your questionnaire, ask pertinent questions, then prepare your return. In many firms someone else then does a review of your return, then you are called in to finalize the process.

TT is good for what it is - but my CPA just gave me an example of a deduction that some retirees miss - mainly because they don't understand the tax code. Question on TT is something like this - Are you entitled to a deduction under Code ####? It's not something broken out on your 1099 or anywhere so you miss it. Unfortunately some people also don't realize some things are taxable - it can get confusing when you are retired. (Part of my retirement is taxable, part is not - there is a somewhat complicated formula to figure it out.)

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.