Advice pls

Closed Thread
Old 12-17-2020, 01:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,743 Times in 5,255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
Can you name any around here? I'd like to know.
I invest exclusively with Vanguard and Fidelity Investments. Vanguard has Certified Financial Planners available for consultation for free. But, you may need to have a certain amount of assets to use their free service. I would highly recommend Vanguard for any type of investing and advice. If you want to be able to meet in person with someone, Fidelity has an office at Lake Sumter. I don't think you can go wrong with either Vanguard or Fidelity for any type of investments. I prefer to use mutual funds, but, If you want to invest in individual stocks and bonds, you can set up a brokerage account and they will help you.
Old 12-17-2020, 03:54 PM
Default Advise pls

I transferred mine to a self managed IRA, if you do a direct tranfer there is no problem with withholding taxes or effect on your income until you make a withdrawal. Any broker can transfer the funds for you so pick your own location to move your funds. Fidelity, TD Ameritrade, now part of Schwab or any of dozens of others. I would pick one with a local office so you can go in and get face to face information on what help you can get from the broker and trading, most will assign you an individual broker if you have more that $500, 000.
Old 12-17-2020, 05:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,915 Times in 918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
While it may be a good idea to hire a "financial advisor" if you need assistance with your money, not all of them are the same. If you hire a financial advisor, you should get a signed statement from him/her that they are acting as a "fiduciary" for you. You should also ask the advisor how they make money, by commission or by charging you a fee for their time.
No disagreement! Independent CFP is the way to go. But when some one asks what do I do with a 401K? that person appears to not be knowledgeable enough such that a financial planner is necessary versus getting overwhelmed with 50 TOTV posts about what each poster has done without any information about how big, and total assets, taxable and non taxable, trusts, properties in other states, etc.

sportsguy
Old 12-17-2020, 05:56 PM

Make an appointment with a financial advisor. We met with Samantha at Fidelity. First meeting was just to get to know her and the company. So happy we did. Talking with her is like sitting down with a friend while she talks basic steps and told us things we never thought or knew. Never go with a planner that tells you don't worry about it, they will handle it. Right now everyone is making money. Find someone you enjoy having coffee with and learn from them. It is Free.
Old 12-17-2020, 06:09 PM

I believe it changed to 72 even and not 72 1/2.
Old 12-17-2020, 08:13 PM

Talk to a financial advisor. He may advise you to invest in gold.
Old 12-17-2020, 09:16 PM
Default An IRA move may cost you money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rga20 View Post
Now that I've finally retired what do I do with my 401k. Don't anticipate needing the money but don't want to lose it either. Appreciate your inputs.
Our employer 401k had Fidelity with the best and lowest cost funds (.001) they negotiated. When I got here the Villages Fidelity talked me into converting to IRA saying it was the same. They said they are a fiduciary here. FYI they are not and their funds cost more $$$$$. Staying in your 401k may be your best move.

Check twice before you move it. You can't undo it.
Old 12-18-2020, 08:58 AM

Rollover into an IRA at Vanguard.

Read free ebook at paulmerriman.com - Get Smart or Get Screwed

JMHO
Old 12-18-2020, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjbatl View Post
Be careful with the advice of everyone here on converting your 401K. That is not always the best advice depending on your specific options for investment with who your past company has managing as well as the fees. Example, i converted my 401K to an IRA and have an outside management company managing it. We left my wife's with Fidelity who was the management company of her 401k from work. There are many investment options including targeted funds like the 2020 vangard fund mentioned. The fees are a flat $6.00 per quarter. There are no advisors that are going to charge you so low, example i pay .75% and most of the companies i interviewed charged 1% to 1.5% depending on the size of your 401k. So my IRA now had to make almost .74% more that her 401k before they are even.
The other side of this is what is included for the management fee they charge. My IRA is with Personal Capital and they provide other services that were important to me like current/long term spending planning, prior tax year review as well as current planning, estate planning, etc. Think about what types of services you want to include for what you are going to pay. Interview at least 3 or 4 and not only ones here in The Villages. There are good advisors that do more over Zoom and occasional onsite meetings and that is why I went with Personal Capital. Been over a year and they seem to be doing more than what I expected.
Vanguard 2020 is a lower cost fund, but currently charges 0.13% load fee, plus whatever account charges they show you. No free lunch.
Old 12-18-2020, 12:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,743 Times in 5,255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neils View Post
Vanguard 2020 is a lower cost fund, but currently charges 0.13% load fee, plus whatever account charges they show you. No free lunch.
Just to clarify, the Vanguard 2020 fund is a "no load" fund, which means that there is no sales fee to purchase shares. It does have an expense ratio of 0.13 percent to manage the fund assets. This is a relatively low expense ratio as compared with similar funds. All mutual funds have a management fee built into the fund.
Old 12-19-2020, 07:47 AM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

Serious question with a normal amount of Wise A$$ responses. Many 401Ks have very restrictive investment choices. 10 years ago you may have had a good amount of your funds in "money markets", which had a decent yield. They are now yielding close to what the banks pay .. a tad above zero. My 401Ks were both administered through Fidelity - I transferred them "IN KIND" to Fidelity IRAs. IN KIND means that your investments didnt change at all. That gives you time to decide how to set up your account for the "distribution" phase of your life. You no longer will have the ability to make up huge losses with "buying low" when the market tanks. Some people go crazy and make silly bets on stocks and investments they don;t understand. They end up going back to work at minimum wage jobs. The key, as you alluded to, is capital preservation, with at least enough growth to cover inflation. Fidelity, Vanguard and a number of other credible companies offer a wealth of options and model portfolios for this purpose. If you are totally uncomfortable with managing your fund, you can consider a financial advisor.. That opens another discussion altogether. Just remember the "Free Lunch Theorem" - There is no such thing as a Free Lunch ! Good Luck
Old 12-19-2020, 08:26 AM
Veteran member

I have had my 403B with Fidelity Investments for over 30 years and converted to IRA when I retired. I like the fact that I am in charge of making decisions with my money and can change Mutual Funds as I see fit. I do spend a lot of time studying funds, market sectors, fund managers etc. It gives me something to do and I can take chances because I also have a wonderful pension. Good Luck! You got some good advice from the previous posts.
Old 12-19-2020, 11:39 PM

We recommend Liz at TB Financial - attend one of her free Annuity 101 "classes" at local restaurant if you don't know about the newer types of annuities available. She would also meet with you personally to make custom recommendations for you. We have been so impressed with their work for us and have met many of their other clients at their pre-COVID socials. They offer a unique r personal touch. TB Financial, Fruitland Park off 441, 352-350-1161 Tell them the Ackerman's recommended them.
Old 12-20-2020, 07:32 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I would suggest that you set up an IRA account with Vanguard or another low cost investment company. Then, do a direct transfer of all assets from the 401K account into the IRA, and maintain a similar asset allocation. I would not feel comfortable leaving my money in a 401K plan when an IRA allows me to totally control the assets and how they are invested. And, you will probably save money on the management fees. It was one of the first things I did when I retired.
That is the best way to handle a 401K when you retire. The only way I would consider leaving it would be a Federal TSP account. Their cost and investment options are close to Vanguards. Most companies 401K plans have a somewhat limited selections of investments and higher fees. Vanguard has very low fees and a very broad selection of investments. If you contact Vanguard they will handle the transfer from your company to them for free and make sure you don’t cause a taxable event.
Old 12-20-2020, 07:45 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,245 Times in 450 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rga20 View Post
Now that I've finally retired what do I do with my 401k. Don't anticipate needing the money but don't want to lose it either. Appreciate your inputs.
I would look for a local Chartered Financial Advisor, review with them. The problem with 401K they limit you on what your allow to invest in and when you pull funds out they automatically withhold 20% depending on your tax bracket this may not be the right percentage. The last thing is a financial can help set up your goals where the 401k may not have a personal you can speak to on a regular basis.
Look up some seminars that have financial brokers speaking, this way you can see if the even appeal to you if so set up a personal meeting , if not move on. Worth your time
Closed Thread

Tags
needing, lose, money, advice, anticipate

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.