Advisor advising closed-end funds — why?

Old 04-04-2024, 08:27 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,226 Times in 756 Posts
Default Advisor advising closed-end funds — why?

I don’t have any closed-end funds and probably never will. And I do not have an advisor — at this time. But…..

I knew nothing about closed-end funds so I did some reading. I have a very basic understanding now but could use more insight. What’s this leverage thing all about (sounds a bit risky to me) and are there expenses beyond the stated expense ratios? (I get the feeling there are more expenses to decipher.)

Can an advisor be collecting from a closed-end fund in addition to a flat AUM fee?

Why would an advisor use closed-end funds over open-end funds and/or index funds? (I understand those.)

So? What am I missing?

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 04-04-2024 at 09:17 AM.
Old 04-04-2024, 08:29 AM

Run away! Bad advice!
Old 04-04-2024, 08:53 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,226 Times in 756 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karadad View Post
Run away! Bad advice!

That’s what I thought, but I need specifics on why the advisor is advising CEFs.

This really is an “asking for a friend” question because a friend asked me. I have read several articles that define closed-end funds, but I keep circling back around to a big fat WHY?

We cannot control the market, but we can control the expenses of investing.

Even though there are those who will say not to worry about expenses because it is “the fund” that is paying the expenses, I cannot get my head around that one because doesn’t the fund get the expense money from the investor?

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 04-04-2024 at 09:20 AM.
Old 04-04-2024, 09:14 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,640 Times in 1,768 Posts

I have held two closed end funds for almost 40 years. A purchase price advantage exists when one trades at a discount to the value of its portfolio. Mine have beaten their indexes by a small margin and pay nice dividends and LTCGs. Yes their expenses exceed those of Vanguard index funds but they have provided a small margin of performance ahead of their indexes. Caveat: They comprise only a small portion of my portfolio as do REITs which I hold for their dividends.

Closed end funds are bought and sold like common stocks so can be purchased and sold "commission free" at Schwab, Fidelity and Vanguard.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 04-04-2024 at 09:28 AM.
Old 04-04-2024, 09:16 AM
Default Closed End Funds

I do not invest in closed end funds - but here is what I know.

In open ended funds, the share price is the total value of the fund, divided by the number of shares. If you pay $1, you get about $1 worth of assets.

In closed end funds, the share price is determined by the market. Some of these funds trade at a premium - For example, if you pay $1 for a share, the underlying assets may only be worth 80 cents. NEVER buy these funds.

In some other closed end funds, the share price might be at a discount to the underlying assets. For example, if you pay $1 for a share, the underlying assets may be worth $1.20. Some people like to buy these because they think that eventually the share price will catch up to the asset price and they will make a profit. I think they may wait a long time for that to happen. Also, maybe the underlying assets are having problems that are not yet widely known. Or, any number of reasons. It's a risk.

As to whether your advisor earns a commission by selling these, ask him/her directly. It can vary.
Old 04-04-2024, 11:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,763 Times in 5,266 Posts

I am not an expert on closed end funds, but the main question to ask the advisor is whether the shares he/she is recommending are part of the IPO (initial publc offering) or are they shares that are being resold. If they are part of the IPO, I don't think there is any question that the advisor is selling the shares to make a large commission, and maybe even an additional incentive payment or reward. One of the reasons that a company starts a closed end fund is so they can raise money quickly by engaging a select number of financial sales people to "push" the fund to their regular clients. Once the IPO shares are sold, no more additional shares are ever created, which is why it is called a closed end fund.

As far as the investment potential, I don't see any advantage to the investor in buying a closed end fund versus an open ended fund.
Old 04-04-2024, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post

As far as the investment potential, I don't see any advantage to the investor in buying a closed end fund versus an open ended fund.
I just explained the advantage for some of these funds - If the closed end fund is trading at a discount to its Net Asset Value, you can buy a dollar's worth of stocks for less than a dollar.

The risk is time - you don't know how long it will take for the market value to adjust to NAV, if it ever does. All investments have risks.
Old 04-04-2024, 03:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,763 Times in 5,266 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvtheVillages View Post
I just explained the advantage for some of these funds - If the closed end fund is trading at a discount to its Net Asset Value, you can buy a dollar's worth of stocks for less than a dollar.

The risk is time - you don't know how long it will take for the market value to adjust to NAV, if it ever does. All investments have risks.
Thanks. I'm not sure if I fully understand the advantage, but I'll think about it.
Old 04-05-2024, 02:09 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
I don’t have any closed-end funds and probably never will. And I do not have an advisor — at this time. But…..

I knew nothing about closed-end funds so I did some reading. I have a very basic understanding now but could use more insight. What’s this leverage thing all about (sounds a bit risky to me) and are there expenses beyond the stated expense ratios? (I get the feeling there are more expenses to decipher.)

Can an advisor be collecting from a closed-end fund in addition to a flat AUM fee?

Why would an advisor use closed-end funds over open-end funds and/or index funds? (I understand those.)

So? What am I missing?

Boomer
Did they mention any names? I would be curious to check performance.
Old 04-05-2024, 05:27 AM
Veteran member

2 problems with the original posters question;
You are paying an advisor and you are buying a managed fund.
As for expenses, all expenses are more than what’s stated and the managed fund is always much more than an index fund. Check the turnover rate for a managed fund, I’ve seen them in the 400% range because the manager is always trying to make the fund better, and you pay for this at tax time.

How the Expense Ratio Is Calculated

The costs that go into an expense ratio vary greatly from fund to fund. But most expense ratios include outlays for fund management, marketing, recordkeeping, administration, compliance and shareholder services. With many mutual funds, a 12b-1 fee, which covers a fund’s marketing and distribution costs, makes up a large proportion of the expense ratio.

The fees are bundled into a ratio that is expressed as a percentage of your total assets with that fund, and deducted from the net assets on an annual basis. For example, a fund with $1,000 might have an annual expense ratio of 1%, meaning that $10 is deducted from your account to cover costs every year.

Some of the fund’s costs are not included in the expense ratio, such as sales commissions paid to a broker who sold you the fund (these are referred to as loads), or trading commissions and account services fees. These are classified as debits, and they are listed on account statements.

You can find the expense ratio for a fund when comparing funds on a brokerage site, as well as on the fund’s prospectus. They aren’t typically listed in your account statements, though.

Mutual Fund Fees & Expenses-Fidelity

Access Denied

Mutual Fund Fees: A Guide for Beginners - NerdWallet

ETFs: How Much Do They Really Cost? | Charles Schwab
Old 04-05-2024, 06:06 AM

Good morning. Closed end funds serve a purpose in a portfolio. The discussion should not be based on closed end versus open end. It should be based around "in addition" to a portfolio for diversification with the potential for more yield. Closed end funds have actually been around longer than open end funds. They trade more like a stock on the open market then a typical mutual fund.

The advantage is for the fund manager. What he/she can do to invest and not worry about large in flows of cash or large redemptions which actually puts a strain on open end fund managers. They can also use leverage, issue preferred stocks to enhance yield and or capital.

Do you buy 100% in closed end funds, not likely. Can you buy a percentage of closed end funds for diversification, maybe. The only person that decides that is between you and your professional advisor. Ask him/her why the recommendation, how it benefits you, what are your risks etc.. if you are comfortable with the answers then you have a decision to make. If you are not, walk away, take your time and make an informed decision.

Fyi, the advisor makes a commission or is managing your portfolio for a fee. Not both. Regardless the advisor, an investment firm, even Schwab/Fidelity, make money from providing investments to investor. Nothing in this world is free . Price/cost is only an issue in the absence of value.

Hope that helps.

Have a great weekend.
Old 04-05-2024, 06:34 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
That’s what I thought, but I need specifics on why the advisor is advising CEFs.

This really is an “asking for a friend” question because a friend asked me. I have read several articles that define closed-end funds, but I keep circling back around to a big fat WHY?

We cannot control the market, but we can control the expenses of investing.

Even though there are those who will say not to worry about expenses because it is “the fund” that is paying the expenses, I cannot get my head around that one because doesn’t the fund get the expense money from the investor?

Boomer
The stated dividend is after the expenses are paid. So if the fund says 6% dividend they have taken their fees before declaring that thus the fee comes out of the fund not what you will get paid.

An advantage of a closed end fund is that they can trade below NAV so you could be getting $1.00 of assets for less than a dollar. An index fund and open fund trades for NAV.
Old 04-05-2024, 06:39 AM

Closed End funds and Front End Load funds usually also charge what is known as a 12-b1 fee. The fund companies and those advisors who utilize those funds sometimes refer to that as an advertising fee.

The fund company will pay that to the advisor or broker who puts their clients in those funds.

So not only is the advisor charging you a fee based on the assets they manage for you, but they are also sharing in the expenses the fund company collects for managing the fund.
Old 04-05-2024, 06:40 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvtheVillages View Post

If it doesn’t adjust to NAV you still have been paid a good return from the dividend. Most of these funds pay 6% or more. These funds are more about income then capital gains.
Old 04-05-2024, 08:53 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,027 Times in 457 Posts

This is a fund screener that I use for my closed-end fund research.

CEF Connect... click here.

Tags
funds, closed-end, advisor, expenses, missing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.