AIR BNB investment bubble popping will pop the housing bubble?

Closed Thread
Old 08-27-2023, 02:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,914 Times in 918 Posts
Default AIR BNB investment bubble popping will pop the housing bubble?

The AirBnB Bubble Popping Will Pop The Housing Bubble | ZeroHedge

Interesting, maybe. . .
Old 08-27-2023, 03:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,021 Times in 1,747 Posts

Oh, PLEASE, pop the damn AirBnB bubble in TV already! I’m already for a “lower” value on my house which doesn’t change a thing it’s hypothetical until I sell, but a higher quality of life, which is an everyday experience, for me.
Old 08-27-2023, 03:22 PM
Veteran member

[QUOTE=Velvet;2250219]Oh, PLEASE, pop the damn AirBnB bubble in TV already! I’m already for a “lower” value on my house which doesn’t change a thing it’s hypothetical until I sell, but a higher quality of life, which is an everyday experience, for me.[/QUOTE

Agreed. Hope it stops sooner than later. People are predicting the starting price of homes in the Villages will be 1 million by 2030. If this happens, people will be homeless. A rising cost of a home affects the property taxes and upkeep. Can you imagine how much it will cost to put on a new roof on an older home? Greed destroys.

Last edited by Randall55; 08-27-2023 at 04:34 PM.
Old 08-27-2023, 07:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,277 Times in 4,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall55 View Post
Agreed. Hope it stops sooner than later. People are predicting the starting price of homes in the Villages will be 1 million by 2030. If this happens, people will be homeless. A rising cost of a home affects the property taxes and upkeep. Can you imagine how much it will cost to put on a new roof on an older home? Greed destroys.
Who are these "people" predicting this?

The Villages Florida

-Tom Petty
Old 08-27-2023, 08:20 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Who are these "people" predicting this?

The Villages Florida
I do not believe it is merely a prediction at this point. Home prices are dropping. A few months ago, my daughter's home was listed for $525,000. Today, $480,000. She took too long to put it on the market. New(ish) home built in 2019. No tacky interior decor. Looks brand new. Nice floors, natural stone counters. 2500 sq ft. Beautiful home. She now has to decide to keep it on the market or take it off. Higher interest rates and cost of moving is difficult without a sizeable profit on her home.

There just aren't many buyers out there. Who can blame them? Why give up a home with a ridiculously low interest rate and buy one with a huge interest rate? Doesn't make sense especially if you have a family.
Old 08-27-2023, 08:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,277 Times in 4,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretmattson View Post
I do not believe it is merely a prediction at this point. Home prices are dropping. A few months ago, my daughter's home was listed for $525,000. Today, $480,000. She took too long to put it on the market. New(ish) home built in 2019. No tacky interior decor. Looks brand new. Nice floors, natural stone counters. 2500 sq ft. Beautiful home. She now has to decide to keep it on the market or take it off. Higher interest rates and cost of moving is difficult without a sizeable profit on her home.

There just aren't many buyers out there. Who can blame them? Why give up a home with a ridiculously low interest rate and buy one with a huge interest rate? Doesn't make sense especially if you have a family.
2500 sq ft under air? And she can't get $500K for it? What Village? Something seems off...

-Tom Petty
Old 08-27-2023, 10:23 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
2500 sq ft under air? And she can't get $500K for it? What Village? Something seems off...
My Daughter's home! Not in the villages. It is in Trinity, Fl, about 2 hours from here. The OP is not specifically about any area just what is happening throughout the country. STR strategy is to hold on to the home for a year or so and sell it for major profit. Now, it is predicted they will sell for whatever they can get to alleviate having to pay the costs to keep homes for a longer, unknown amount of time. This will reduce the costs of homes (on average) throughout the country.

Last edited by margaretmattson; 08-27-2023 at 10:58 PM.
Old 08-28-2023, 04:36 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,046 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
Is anyone aware of the source of this article? The author's name is Tyler Durden.

Tyler Durden is a character in the movie Fight Club.

It's mind boggling how gullible people in TV & especially on this site, really are.

If it appeared on the Internet or TV, it must be true and it gets posted on Talk of The Villages.

This article was written by someone who has little or no understand of the real estate market, but instead, relies on buzz words and arcane arguments, to make himself appear credible. He's not.

Zero Hedge - Wikipedia

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

Is Zero Hedge a Russian Trojan Horse? | The New Republic

U.S. Reportedly Accuses Financial Blog Zero Hedge Of Publishing Russian Propaganda

I'm shocked I haven't read a report on ToV this week, regarding the new search for the Loch Ness Monster.

Last edited by BrianL99; 08-28-2023 at 04:53 AM.
Old 08-28-2023, 05:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,914 Times in 918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
Is anyone aware of the source of this article? The author's name is Tyler Durden.
LOL! since the inception of ZeroHedge, the owner of the site has always posted under the pseudonym Tyler Durden. . nothing new but the tone of the site and the author's desires. The site publishes all negative finance and other provocative articles from many anonymous or not sources. . appeals to those whose brain overemphasizes negative than positive news, or susceptible to conspiracy theories.

And if you think this web site only posts serious or quality news and only serous news and not pot stirring low quality news at times. . .
Old 08-28-2023, 05:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
LOL! since the inception of ZeroHedge, the owner of the site has always posted under the pseudonym Tyler Durden. . nothing new but the tone of the site and the author's desires. The site publishes all negative finance and other provocative articles from many anonymous or not sources. . appeals to those whose brain overemphasizes negative than positive news, or susceptible to conspiracy theories.

And if you think this web site only posts serious or quality news and only serous news and not pot stirring low quality news at times. . .
Interesting. As Sir Winston Churchill once so famously noted, “a lie can get halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on”.

I’m no businessperson (thank goodness my wife is) but a whole lot of these prognostications smack not of fact and truth but instead, wishful thinking. Those who may be envious of acquaintances or neighbors who own rental properties (airb&bs included) may tend toward the “bubble” popping. House-flippers may tend toward the price increase side of things. And so on. It is called confirmation bias and we all engage in it to a point. We may WANT something to happen, so we gravitate toward those “experts” whose predictions line up with what, consciously or unconsciously, we desire.

For myself, I’m neutral. If my neighbor makes a bundle renting out four or five houses that he had the foresight to buy over the last ten years, more power to him. I dabbled in that market a few years back but am too darned old to even think about going through the headaches associated with it again.

A rising tide lifts all boats.
Old 08-28-2023, 07:54 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,608 Times in 945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretmattson View Post
My Daughter's home! Not in the villages. It is in Trinity, Fl, about 2 hours from here. The OP is not specifically about any area just what is happening throughout the country. STR strategy is to hold on to the home for a year or so and sell it for major profit. Now, it is predicted they will sell for whatever they can get to alleviate having to pay the costs to keep homes for a longer, unknown amount of time. This will reduce the costs of homes (on average) throughout the country.
Home’s are priced lower due to interest rates - you can afford a lot more at 2.3% vs 7.3%.
If you refinanced in 2018, you’re not moving. When rates come down, prices will go up.

The AirBNB “bubble” is purely a function of 1) people buying a home during covid for remote work, then being asked to come back in the office, so they AirBnB’d the home - too much inventory and 2) inflation making vacations not affordable. So ABNB homes in resorts (Orlando, Jersey Shore, San DIego) have high vacancy rates, and owners can’t afford to hold them.

ABNB in the Villages is a different economy, people are still coming here (it’s not really a resort). Actually, the economy will make ABNB more valuable here, no need to buy a house for a 2 month snowbird visit, just ABNB.
Old 08-28-2023, 07:57 AM
Veteran member

Something needs to change.
Old 08-28-2023, 08:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,051 Times in 5,337 Posts

Do believe value of our home down due to higher interest rates.
Old 08-28-2023, 09:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,021 Times in 1,747 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Interesting. As Sir Winston Churchill once so famously noted, “a lie can get halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on”.

I’m no businessperson (thank goodness my wife is) but a whole lot of these prognostications smack not of fact and truth but instead, wishful thinking. Those who may be envious of acquaintances or neighbors who own rental properties (airb&bs included) may tend toward the “bubble” popping. House-flippers may tend toward the price increase side of things. And so on. It is called confirmation bias and we all engage in it to a point. We may WANT something to happen, so we gravitate toward those “experts” whose predictions line up with what, consciously or unconsciously, we desire.

For myself, I’m neutral. If my neighbor makes a bundle renting out four or five houses that he had the foresight to buy over the last ten years, more power to him. I dabbled in that market a few years back but am too darned old to even think about going through the headaches associated with it again.

A rising tide lifts all boats.
Absolutely disagree! The Villages was built from its inception to be residential homes. Not a rental business to soil the lifestyle.
Old 08-28-2023, 12:14 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
Home’s are priced lower due to interest rates - you can afford a lot more at 2.3% vs 7.3%.
If you refinanced in 2018, you’re not moving. When rates come down, prices will go up.

The AirBNB “bubble” is purely a function of 1) people buying a home during covid for remote work, then being asked to come back in the office, so they AirBnB’d the home - too much inventory and 2) inflation making vacations not affordable. So ABNB homes in resorts (Orlando, Jersey Shore, San DIego) have high vacancy rates, and owners can’t afford to hold them.

ABNB in the Villages is a different economy, people are still coming here (it’s not really a resort). Actually, the economy will make ABNB more valuable here, no need to buy a house for a 2 month snowbird visit, just ABNB.
We shall see. None of us have a crystal ball. If we did, we would all be rich.
Closed Thread

Tags
bubble, air, bnb, investment, popping

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.