Anyone use an advisor who works on an hourly basis.

Closed Thread
Old 09-18-2023, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigi3000 View Post
I know one in Ohio. She is under the Garret Planning network and came highly recommended. She gave me exactly what i asked for. She does phone consults. Lemme know if you would like her info. She is a fiduciary. I investigated all this last year. I'll go ahead and put her name here as i may not be online for a few days. Its Som Hanvanich in Kettering Ohio.
Tks
Old 09-19-2023, 05:48 AM
Veteran member

I notice a Garrett advisor that quotes a rate of $300/hr for the first two hours. I have no idea if that is a "fair" price.
Old 09-19-2023, 05:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,738 Times in 5,252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caymus View Post
I notice a Garrett advisor that quotes a rate of $300/hr for the first two hours. I have no idea if that is a "fair" price.
Way too high
Old 09-19-2023, 06:37 AM
Sage

Any financial advice that you pay money for should include a product, such as a written financial plan.
Old 09-19-2023, 06:46 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Any financial advice that you pay money for should include a product, such as a written financial plan.
Most of them indicate that they charge a fixed price for a plan. I only noticed one that listed a hourly rate in their profile.

I also assume that "you get what you pay for".
Old 10-02-2023, 09:52 AM
Veteran member

As of now, I contacted about 20 advisors (mostly by email). I am considering this a retirement hobby

Some that were recommended to me or look promising are either not accepting new clients or are only registered in their home states. Most of the others work on an AUM structure, which I don't want. A few want monthly retainers or other type of commitments. The hourly fee types are quoting $200 to $300/hr

So far, I have found three that will develop one-time financial plans with a range of $1,000 to $3,800. The lower cost one "hedges" when I question if they are a fiduciary. I assume they are quoting a lower price and will eventually try to sell me higher cost "investments".

The other two are fiduciaries and have shared sample plans which appear to meet my current needs. The middle one quoted $1,800 and I am obtaining more details from them.

So far, I haven't had a "rubber chicken: dinner.
Old 10-02-2023, 09:58 AM
Sage

Quote:
As of now, I contacted about 20 advisors (mostly by email). I am considering this a retirement hobby

Some that were recommended to me or look promising are either not accepting new clients or are only registered in their home states. Most of the others work on an AUM structure, which I don't want. A few want monthly retainers or other type of commitments. The hourly fee types are quoting $200 to $300/hr

So far, I have found three that will develop one-time financial plans with a range of $1,000 to $3,800. The lower cost one "hedges" when I question if they are a fiduciary. I assume they are quoting a lower price and will eventually try to sell me higher cost "investments".

The other two are fiduciaries and have shared sample plans which appear to meet my current needs. The middle one quoted $1,800 and I am obtaining more details from them.

Any advisor who claims to be a fiduciary, should send you a letter stating it in writing, including any conditions or limitations that may apply.
Old 10-02-2023, 10:04 AM

My addition to investment advice - take time to read Paul Merriman’s 3 FREE ebooks.
1. First-Time Investor
2. 101 Investment Decisions
3. Get Smart or Get Screwed (read this first!)

Found at paulmerriman.com

Also on his site are recommended portfolios for using Vanguard, Fidelity, T.Rowe Price or Schwab for DYI'ers. Much good info, ignore the puffery and sales pitches.

Also, if you want to know too much about annuities, listen to Stan The Annuity Man® | Brutally Honest Facts About Annuities podcasts.

Podcast - Have Fun With Annuities(R) | The Annuity Man

Last recommendation is FIRECalc: A different kind of retirement calculator , a Monte Carlo simulation of your future.

FWIW
Old 10-02-2023, 11:33 AM

Quote:

Keep us posted on your progress. I recently contacted a guy who lives in Illinois on the Ganet (sic) website, I sent him a bunch of financial info and never hear back from him. Moral of the story don't trust them just because they are on a reputable website.
Old 10-02-2023, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Thank you. She has an impressive and detailed website. From reading through it, it looks like she is the real deal.

I looked for a fee-only advisor several years ago. I finally found one who claimed to be, but he wanted to be paid on a retainer basis. I did not want to do that.

I remember you had a lot of questions a while back. I am glad to know you found an actual fee-only advisor. Looks like they really do exist.

Boomer
Yeah, Som is great. I was nervous going in.
Old 10-02-2023, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigi3000 View Post
Yeah, Som is great. I was nervous going in.
Unfortunately she can only work in a limited number of states, she said she can't practice in Minnesota.
Old 10-02-2023, 02:28 PM
Default Free of charge

Take a look at etf symbol: JAAA
Sell when Fed starts easing.
Old 10-02-2023, 05:52 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:

Caymus,

fwiw — Sounds to me like you are navigating just fine, as in……

“Leave the rubber chicken. Take the cannoli.”

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 10-02-2023 at 05:59 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-29-2023, 09:05 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbb View Post
Keep us posted on your progress. I recently contacted a guy who lives in Illinois on the Ganet (sic) website, I sent him a bunch of financial info and never hear back from him. Moral of the story don't trust them just because they are on a reputable website.
One of the podcasts I listen to had links to advice only flat fee advisors.

Advice-Only Network
Flat Fee Advisors

I haven't investigated them in detail, but they seem to charge about $300/hr on average.
Old 10-29-2023, 09:11 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbb View Post
Unfortunately she can only work in a limited number of states, she said she can't practice in Minnesota.
It sounds like she is an insurance agent and/or salesperson. Otherwise, I don't know why she couldn't provide financial advice in any state.
Closed Thread

Tags
advisor, plan, management, basis, hourly

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.