Capital Gains

Closed Thread
Old 02-13-2023, 09:03 AM

I started investing back in the early nineties. Quite a learning curve but after a couple years it became very very obvious that mutual funds were one of the biggest (I don’t know what word to use rip-off, maybe even scam but at minimum a very poor way to invest). High fees, very poor performance and things like you have just pointed out. There are only a few good ones but most are not consistent.
Index funds and ETF are far better.individual stocks are the best way however. So my advice to anyone that asks, me for tips or advice on investments is: take the time to study and learn about investing. Pick your own sticks or ETFs. It’s actually fun and for us older folk great for the mind. It’s not very difficult to outperformed mutual funds by big margins.

Last edited by roypw; 02-14-2023 at 09:33 AM.
Old 02-13-2023, 09:04 AM

///

Last edited by RPDaly; 02-23-2023 at 11:04 AM.
Old 02-13-2023, 09:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,740 Times in 5,254 Posts

I direct that all of my capital gains distributions and dividends be transferred into my money market account. No automatic reinvestment in additional shares. That way, I always have the same number of mutual fund shares. I can decide if or when I want to purchase additional shares. It may not be for everyone, but it works for me.
Old 02-13-2023, 09:31 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roob1 View Post
3k a year max loss claim though....
Not true. If you had a $20k gain and a $20k loss in the same year, the loss wipes out the gain. if you had more losses than gains, you carry over the losses and can use $3k of those losses each following year until they are used up.

Some poster always posts that you should sell your funds and buy etf’s instead. Why? There aren’t any more etf’s than active/index funds and you won’t make anymore $$$ in etf’s than in the other funds. The main advantage of an etf is how/when you buy and sell them, etf’s are traded like stocks, instantly vs waiting for the close of the market.
I got out of managed funds over a decade ago because of the expense costs and the turnover within the fund. Look at your active funds and you can see a huge turnover ratio (I’ve seen 400% before) and you pay for this turnover. I’m a boglehead, all index funds except for a couple stocks.
I sold everything in my non-taxable accounts over a year ago because I saw the country is in such a mess.
Now I get in a stock or index fund when I see a rally coming and sell when I see the future looks bleak.
For example, bought apple 3 weeks ago, went up over $20 a share and sold it all last week before it started going down. I’ve done this off and on in a couple of index funds over the last year with big gains. You need to be more diligent in your investing these days.
I’ve learned: Pigs get slaughtered in the market and leave your emotions out of investing
Old 02-13-2023, 09:59 AM
Soaring Eagle member

UsuallyLurking to me made a lot of sense, but then again look at the way our economy is going. Pretty Sad!
Old 02-13-2023, 01:42 PM
Smile Loved it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Yep. Mutual funds outside an IRA can give you a surprise kick in the bottom at tax time, especially if you’re not aware of how the taxes work.

That is one of the reasons I have not used mutual funds since before I retired when mutual funds were the only choices within the 403(b) plan that was available. . Well, that and annuities that were hawked by every local sales guy who could get on the list and then would sometimes actually show up at my house. (I knew them.) Those guys never got me though.

I did have a big ol’ time putting my workplace plan, mutual fund money into tech funds in the ‘90s. I remember one that was returning over 100%. Yep. I sure did dance with that dot-com bubble. So much fun while it lasted. Then….POP!

That big POP! was the most valuable education I have ever had — even though I do have a couple of pieces of paper with my name on them. I have talked about this experience before on here, and also explained that I had not bet the whole farm, just the butter and egg money. That big POP! did not scare me away from the market. But it did yank a knot in my tail and taught me not to be guilty of hubris. I had been flying too close to the sun.

I have noticed over the years (too many) that I have been on TOTV that when it comes to posting in the investment forum, I seem to be the only one who ever admits to having lost money in the market. I am a woman. None of the men who post about investing ever seem to lose money. (chuckle)

I rolled the 403(b) into a self-directed, traditional IRA as soon as I retired — where it still resides today in the Boomerfund, of which I am the manager.

As manager of the Boomerfund, I lose some. I win some. But overall I am happy that I am retaining control of buys, sells, and whatever I can do to not get tax surprises, via RMD time. For instance, I never have put myself in the position of having to sell stock to pay taxes. I maintain a moat of cash around the stocks for that purpose and also because I think it is generally a good idea to maintain a moat of cash — for various reasons — like having a little cash on hand for times like when the old bull stumbled in 2020 and handed me a buying opportunity.

So far, I have not invested in Beanie Babies or Franklin Mint plates or Longaberger baskets…….And I don’t have to pay myself a percentage for management, win or lose.

OP, you have some good explanations of what happened to you from the earlier posters here in this thread, including the one that calls attention to how those tax implications can make it harder to dodge IRMAA.

(Geez. I can always tell when I am procrastinating because I divert from what I should be doing and start writing long posts on TOTV — or sometimes I like to engage is useless arguments — which make good exercise in tightrope walking.

Anyway, my office is a mess and our tax stuff needs to get together, and I need to get myself together, so I am not even going to try to organize whatever I just wrote here. I see I went off track a bit with my history of my breakup with mutual funds, but, oh well…… Seeya later.)

Boomer
Old 02-13-2023, 04:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

I have found that during the up’s and downs of our financial life that it’s more fun when we are loaded $$$$$. Too much to manage at my advanced age of 65. I made a killing in the stock market in the beginning and then I turned to mush.
Fortunately a man has to know his limitations and my stock and day trading life is almost over. We have more than we need and feel blessed that I got outta dodge investing wise while the getting was good. We gave our three boys a nice hit before we came to The Villages 7 years ago. I’d rather see them do good while I’m still here than to leave it to them after we’re gone.

Investing, phooey! I’m out of the game.
No more loansharking anymore either!
Old 02-13-2023, 05:49 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Yep. Mutual funds outside an IRA can give you a surprise kick in the bottom at tax time, especially if you’re not aware of how the taxes work.

That is one of the reasons I have not used mutual funds since before I retired when mutual funds were the only choices within the 403(b) plan that was available. . Well, that and annuities that were hawked by every local sales guy who could get on the list and then would sometimes actually show up at my house. (I knew them.) Those guys never got me though.

I did have a big ol’ time putting my workplace plan, mutual fund money into tech funds in the ‘90s. I remember one that was returning over 100%. Yep. I sure did dance with that dot-com bubble. So much fun while it lasted. Then….POP!

That big POP! was the most valuable education I have ever had — even though I do have a couple of pieces of paper with my name on them. I have talked about this experience before on here, and also explained that I had not bet the whole farm, just the butter and egg money. That big POP! did not scare me away from the market. But it did yank a knot in my tail and taught me not to be guilty of hubris. I had been flying too close to the sun.

I have noticed over the years (too many) that I have been on TOTV that when it comes to posting in the investment forum, I seem to be the only one who ever admits to having lost money in the market. I am a woman. None of the men who post about investing ever seem to lose money. (chuckle)

I rolled the 403(b) into a self-directed, traditional IRA as soon as I retired — where it still resides today in the Boomerfund, of which I am the manager.

As manager of the Boomerfund, I lose some. I win some. But overall I am happy that I am retaining control of buys, sells, and whatever I can do to not get tax surprises, via RMD time. For instance, I never have put myself in the position of having to sell stock to pay taxes. I maintain a moat of cash around the stocks for that purpose and also because I think it is generally a good idea to maintain a moat of cash — for various reasons — like having a little cash on hand for times like when the old bull stumbled in 2020 and handed me a buying opportunity.

So far, I have not invested in Beanie Babies or Franklin Mint plates or Longaberger baskets…….And I don’t have to pay myself a percentage for management, win or lose.

OP, you have some good explanations of what happened to you from the earlier posters here in this thread, including the one that calls attention to how those tax implications can make it harder to dodge IRMAA.

(Geez. I can always tell when I am procrastinating because I divert from what I should be doing and start writing long posts on TOTV — or sometimes I like to engage is useless arguments — which make good exercise in tightrope walking.

Anyway, my office is a mess and our tax stuff needs to get together, and I need to get myself together, so I am not even going to try to organize whatever I just wrote here. I see I went off track a bit with my history of my breakup with mutual funds, but, oh well…… Seeya later.)

Boomer

"I have noticed over the years (too many) that I have been on TOTV that when it comes to posting in the investment forum, I seem to be the only one who ever admits to having lost money in the market. I am a woman. None of the men who post about investing ever seem to lose money. (chuckle)"

A couple of posters here, if one were to believe their unprovable/anonymous claims, are absolute geniuses and always seem to buy at the absolute lows - and sell at the absolute peaks.

Hmmmm, yeah...OK. LOL
Old 02-13-2023, 09:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roob1 View Post
I invested 200K in a Vanguard mutual fund, and at year's end (2021 and 2022), it was valued at approx. 165K. Both years it was reported I had about 10K in capital gains. How can I have capital gains (and tax liability) when the investment value is less than I invested?
OUCH. Last year, 2021-2022,the S&P lost 18.11% You can think of that as average loss. In a fund, any fund you pay a fee to the manager and staff. Easy to research, you want to decide if the manager and staff are worth what you pay them. In a down year, a managed fund should do better than a simple average.
To buy the s&p there are several ETFs that simply track the average.
SPY is one.
As far as Vanguard, they are traditionally the lowest fees and they claim, probably true, lower fees means higher net returns. I would call Vanguard and ask about Admiralty shares. You would think if you qualify you automatically get
Admiralty shares, I'm not sure that is so. Admiralty shares to qualify, some funds it is 50,000 some are less. Again you can research this on the internet.
It is the same fund but the management fee is roughly 30% lower.

The MATH. Many people do not understand math. For me I have to do it on my calculator to see. If, you had 10,000 and lost the average 18.11% you now have 8189 to get whole you need to make 8189 plus 23%=10072.47.

What to do? Beware of people offering advice. What is in it for them? I do not offer advice. Based on experience, if it works out well the person who did what you told them will brag how smart THEY are. If, they loose money, YOUR advice is poor and it is your fault they lost money.
Old 02-13-2023, 09:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbound View Post
"I have noticed over the years (too many) that I have been on TOTV that when it comes to posting in the investment forum, I seem to be the only one who ever admits to having lost money in the market. I am a woman. None of the men who post about investing ever seem to lose money. (chuckle)"

A couple of posters here, if one were to believe their unprovable/anonymous claims, are absolute geniuses and always seem to buy at the absolute lows - and sell at the absolute peaks.

Hmmmm, yeah...OK. LOL
That is not so. BIAS is sadly obvious. We should all be aware from experience, when you talk money most will not tell you the truth, most do not know the truth.

As stated in a previous post last year the S&P average of 500 stocks LOST 18.11%. I can HONESTLY state I lost less than that. It was also the first year in 15 that I lost money. I beat the S&P last year and I still lost more money than I will state.
Old 02-13-2023, 09:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
However, if the mutual fund has losses during the year, you can’t deduct them because the loss is unrealized.

To claim a loss from your mutual fund investment, you must have "realized" the loss -- that is, you must have sold some or all of the shares before the end of the year. If you have not sold any of your fund shares, your loss is "unrealized," meaning that the loss is not fixed or final -- as long as you still own the shares, their value could go up next week, next month or next year.

However, this doesn’t work with gains. You pay them even if they are unrealized.
I thought the TAXMAN is my friend. Is that him in the corner drooling over MY money?

The CPI, consumer price index, hit 9.1% now it is 8.5%. You can buy 10 year treasuries as of today 2/13/23 they pay 3.717%. FAIR? Actually in Florida we have no state tax. While you are paid 3.717% and your money buys 8.5% less,
the government, they owe 31 or is it 34 TRILLION has you pay full Federal Income tax on that 3.717 BUT they decide they will take their larger cut of the too low interest BUT you do not need to pay state or city tax-both of which need to live on a BALANCED budget.
Old 02-14-2023, 06:29 AM

Mutual fund managers have to sell their stocks to make distributions when many shareholders head for the exits. They sell the high fliers first . Hence, you can have high capital gains in a year where your fund lost 10%.
Old 02-14-2023, 06:34 AM
Default But why are Capital Gains even taxed?

I'll enter the question and hope for replies. As soon as I finish typing I'm going to research the tax history. Seems to me CG tax is a penalty for doing the right and responsible thing.
Old 02-14-2023, 06:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,393 Times in 2,069 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandb875 View Post
I'll enter the question and hope for replies. As soon as I finish typing I'm going to research the tax history. Seems to me CG tax is a penalty for doing the right and responsible thing.
Why use the words "penalty" and "responsible"? Capital gains taxes are taxes on realized income just like income taxes on a pay check or taxes on the sale of an item that gained in value.

It was the "right" thing to do since the goal is to make money and capital gains are money you made. Although how "right" it was to sell the stock really depends on timing and a larger financial picture.

The taxes are not a "penalty" unless you mean all taxes are penalties.

Not sure how "responsible" applies at all.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 02-14-2023, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
That is not so. BIAS is sadly obvious. We should all be aware from experience, when you talk money most will not tell you the truth, most do not know the truth.

As stated in a previous post last year the S&P average of 500 stocks LOST 18.11%. I can HONESTLY state I lost less than that. It was also the first year in 15 that I lost money. I beat the S&P last year and I still lost more money than I will state.
Your performance record is very unusual.
Closed Thread

Tags
capital, gains, years, invested, investment

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.