Charles Schwab or Fidelity?

Old 03-23-2024, 02:20 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts
Default Charles Schwab or Fidelity?

I still have my retirement invested with our Finacial adviser UpNorth and comfortable keeping it up there.

But here in TV, which would you choose/trust for investing some extra cash.
CD's etc.

Cheers!
Old 03-23-2024, 02:42 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,608 Times in 945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
I still have my retirement invested with our Finacial adviser UpNorth and comfortable keeping it up there.

But here in TV, which would you choose/trust for investing some extra cash.
CD's etc.

Cheers!
I would not ask for investment advise on the internet.

Is there a reason you can’t stay with the guy you like from home? you can meet with him via zoom quarterly.

Last edited by Papa_lecki; 03-23-2024 at 11:31 PM.
Old 03-23-2024, 03:48 PM

My obligatory post to anyone seeking investment advice.

Take time to read Paul Merriman’s 3 FREE ebooks.
1. First-Time Investor
2. 101 Investment Decisions
3. Get Smart or Get Screwed (read this first!)

Found at paulmerriman.com

Also on his site are recommended portfolios for using Vanguard, Fidelity, T.Rowe Price or Schwab for DYI'ers. Much good info, ignore the puffery and sales pitches.

Also, if you want to know too much about annuities, listen to Stan The Annuity Man® | Brutally Honest Facts About Annuities podcasts.

Podcast - Have Fun With Annuities(R) | The Annuity Man

Last recommendation is FIRECalc: A different kind of retirement calculator , a Monte Carlo simulation of your future.

FWIW
Old 03-25-2024, 10:08 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I use both. I lean toward Schwab.
But thinking about fraud and haveing accounts locked down etc. I would have two or three institutions where I keep my money. Thus since you are in Fidelity go to Schwab.
Old 03-25-2024, 11:18 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

I spread my securities holdings roughly into thirds among three companies: Vanguard, Schwab and Ameriprise. Today I would not choose Ameriprise but the company is a legacy from the 1970s Olde Discount, then H&R Block years. It is still OK as I rarely trade in my accounts there because they do charge a commission beyond the spreads Vanguard and Schwab receive. My Roth IRA and C corporation accounts are still there and I would have to navigate through a paper blizzard to change companies.

Although I view Fidelity as a good company I have experienced some unsettling difficulties with them. Back in the 1970s they spread some my bond trades into several purchases/sales to increase their commissions. When I called them on it I could hear one guy laughing in the background. That did not settle well with me. More recently after I sold some commercial real estate I opened an account at Fidelity. When I attempted to open an account there for my RLT they refused to use the address I used on the personal account they had opened. I closed my account at Fidelity and doubt I will ever use them again.

As an aside when I made a large deposit into Schwab the rep I had been assigned but never met called me several times. I finally called him back to stop the calls. During our discussion I let it slip I had other accounts. He immediately rather forcefully requested I transfer them to Schwab. I declined and explained I remember Lehman Bros and other outfits no longer with us. BTW, at that time Schwab held a huge amount of long term bonds which had gone south, way south, and I was a little antsy about that for a while but I needed to be able to both buy and sell T bills which I could not do at Vanguard or Ameriprise. Schwab makes sizable sums on the deposits relegated to its bank in brokerage accounts and pays very little interest, maybe a quarter of one percent on them. When interest rates jumped customers wised up and moved most of their Schwab bank account funds into money market funds. Vanguard retains my funds in an interest bearing money market account upon which I can trade and write checks. At Schwab to trade or write a check I must first move my money from its money market fund (which pays less interest than Vanguard's) into my Schwab bank account.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 03-25-2024 at 11:46 AM.
Old 03-25-2024, 01:10 PM
Veteran member
Location: Upstate NY, So Fla, Louisiana, So Fla, Santiago and now Bonnybrook

Definitely Fidelity
Old 03-25-2024, 05:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorbill1 View Post
Definitely Fidelity
another Fidelity vote

Tags
charles, choose/trust, investing, extra, cash

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.