Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilodent View Post
Imho?
Are you asking what that means?

If so: In My Humble/Honest Opinion...

-Tom Petty
Old 12-04-2022, 07:50 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston-Sean View Post
Just pulled up a chart of BRK-A for the last 20 years. On June 1st 2005 the price was $83,150.

It closed on Friday at $477, 403 which is 5.75X the price in 2005. Are there special dividends that Berkshire issues or some other compensation to shareholders I'm missing that would make that 5.75X return come close to Apples return?
Well I bought some BRK (BRK-A now) at about $3,000/share back in the mid 1980s. I also bought some Apple a little later. No complaints about either one. I am happy with both!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 12-05-2022, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Only took him 30 years to change his mind... Well after Apple had far surpassed anyone's expectations...

A bit late to the party, if you ask me...
The key words being "surpassed anyone's expectations", implying most investors did not think Apple would be that successful, if at all. It's easy to Monday morning quarterback new startup companies after the fact. Buffett jumped into Apple at roughly $40 a share, once he realized their market potential and understood the business they were in . He also was late to the party, as probably is your opinion, with Amazon at $94 a share. Both solid investments at the time he got in, and have had substantial returns since then; but those companies could have crashed just as easily as they blossomed (It took Amazon a number of years before they were showing a profit). You call him late to the party, I call him cautious; but if you're one of those that are willing to accept the risks you take jumping in early, good for you. Go for it. When I was younger before I started to listen to guys like Buffett, I invested in what I thought was a solid spin off from At&t by the name of Lucent Technologies. Thought it was a solid tech stock. What could go wrong, right? Yeah, that worked. $140 a share to under $2. Fortunately, I was younger and able to work through the loss. Not so much these days. Say what you will about Warren Buffett, but his advice is as solid as his track record and his current class A stock price, which is over $470,000 a share. Certainly, one of the most successful investors in my lifetime. I'd take his comments very seriously before jumping into something that hasn't yet been established, especially when it comes to things like cryptocurrency, and I'm glad I have. And, that's all I have to say about that.
Closed Thread

Tags
invest, money, cryptocurrency, understand, care

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.