investments

Closed Thread
Old 03-06-2013, 04:18 PM
Default investments

If you had 150,000 to invest,conservitive,what would you do? Also you would have to have access to it..
Thanks
Old 03-06-2013, 05:20 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

You would need to provide a LOT more information before anyone could provide you with a good answer. Go to Bogleheads Investing Advice and Info and look at how to provide the information needed to provide you a good answer. Also that would be a much better forum to ask that specific question.

So much of the answer would depend on what other investment you already have, age, tax bracket, spouse age, how long will it be invested, your risk tolerance, current asset allocation, what options are available to you etc. etc. If you strike out on that forum, I would be happy to help you over the phone or in person.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:19 PM
Default Buy

Buy a rental in TV cash
Chandler, AZ
Battle Creek, MI
Old 03-06-2013, 08:20 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billlaur View Post
If you had 150,000 to invest,conservitive,what would you do? Also you would have to have access to it..
Thanks
I would go toward a dividend paying ETF. But your comment about having access to the funds indicates that you might want a more secure investment. Thus you are stuck with CD's.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:42 PM
Sage

Etf ?

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 03-06-2013, 09:44 PM
Location: Brooklyn, NY Queens, NY Village of Summerhill, Village of Santiago

ETF=Exchange Traded Fund

Exchange-traded fund - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 03-07-2013, 12:04 PM
Gold member

Electric utility company stock. Pays a steady dividend (usually near 5%) and low risk. Easily convertable to cash when you need it.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:14 PM
Platinum member

Find a hot, young chick and buy a condo in St. Crioux.

ENJOY !!!!!!!!!
Old 03-07-2013, 12:22 PM
Sage

It depends on how knownledgable you are with investments. Some people do it themselves and others go to a Charles Schwab type brokerage house.

Charles Schwab does have a conservative managed portfolio they will manage for you for a small percentage, (I think it's .05% of total portfolio value). It a a widely deversified fund.

Whatever you decide to invest in, "make sure you understand the vehicle and how it works so you can sleep at night".

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 03-07-2013, 12:59 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I know all of you mean well, but how can you offer investment advice with so little information? Granted the question was very open ended. Maybe you know the OP personally so can therefor provide sound guidance. But think about this.

1. If OP is 90 and 100% in dividend stocks, would your advice be to buy more stock?
2. If OP was 55 and had a 45 year old wife and 100% in bonds, would your advice be to buy more bonds or CD's?
3. If OP had pensions and SS that covered 100% of his living cost would your advice be the same?
4. If this money was his grandson's college fund would your advice be the same?
5. If this was his only source of income would your advice be the same?

I hope the answer to all 5 questions is no. I am not smart enough to provide investment advice without knowing a whole lot more information. Hopefully OP is smart enough to seek out professional advice from someone he already has a lot of trust and confidence in.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
I know all of you mean well, but how can you offer investment advice with so little information? Granted the question was very open ended. Maybe you know the OP personally so can therefor provide sound guidance. But think about this.

1. If OP is 90 and 100% in dividend stocks, would your advice be to buy more stock?
2. If OP was 55 and had a 45 year old wife and 100% in bonds, would your advice be to buy more bonds or CD's?
3. If OP had pensions and SS that covered 100% of his living cost would your advice be the same?
4. If this money was his grandson's college fund would your advice be the same?
5. If this was his only source of income would your advice be the same?

I hope the answer to all 5 questions is no. I am not smart enough to provide investment advice without knowing a whole lot more information. Hopefully OP is smart enough to seek out professional advice from someone he already has a lot of trust and confidence in.
Hey L2ridehd !

I took your advise about looking into Vanguard.com and have now dumped my over 2% advisor. I owe you a bottle of expensive wine and will get it to you some day. Still working but enjoy reading Talk of The Villages. Thanks again!
Old 03-07-2013, 03:06 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralway View Post
Find a hot, young chick and buy a condo in St. Crioux.

ENJOY !!!!!!!!!
anyone of these will cost them over $150K
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.