Favorite High Yield ETF?

Old 04-22-2024, 08:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,120 Times in 5,365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by huge-pigeons View Post
Kiplinger sucks. If you look at most of their funds, they are active with a lot of them have loads. I used to read it years ago when they got the “v” shaped correction and the “inflation will be transitory” wrong, among many other things wrong. I never go with managed funds and always go with indexed funds, with low expenses ‘.02%’, low risk and return, with a good dividend and high growth. I have a few that have been returning a 20% - 30% return for a decade.
Guess your not looking at the same magazine I am.
Old 04-22-2024, 09:00 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,642 Times in 1,769 Posts

Thank all of you who have offered suggestions. I shall proceed to look into them!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 04-22-2024, 03:02 PM
Veteran member

just for grins, I evaluated all of the funds that were mentioned in this post. 99% of them I wouldn't own them, some were disasters. Some of them did pay some higher yields but overall they weren't that great. Some of these made 15% or more the past year but weren't looking good in the future nor did the history. Go out and check them out yourselves, it's pretty easy.
My criteria: high return/low risk (some of the mentioned funds were high risk with low returns), low fees which are .1% or lower, good dividend (3% or higher), history of growth and dividend increases. low turnover, and managers have invested in their own funds (if active).

Some stats: ANGL, high risk high return, ytd return is -1.6%, 3 year return is -12%, 5 year return is -3%.
VIG pretty good overall
EDF, very bad, 3.7% expense, average return, highest risk, 3 year return -38%, 5 year return -61%
ryld is pretty bad too, .6% expense, ytd return -3%, 1 year return -11%, 3 year return -34%, 5 year return -36%

I have a few index funds that returned more than 150% over 5 years. All of them were over 60% growth over a 5 years period. If you do investing on your own, use the stock/fund screener to find these jewels. I have been in these same funds for over a decade, some over 20 years. I have gotten out of the market totally 2 times in 30 years, beginning of 2022 and 2 weeks ago. I feel it's safer to be in money market funds for a while. Getting out in 2022 and getting back in gradually over 2023 was very lucrative to say the least. Didn't need to wait to recover 30-35% loss that the market had. I hope this last pullout will see the same type of growth when I get back in. Money markets are over 5.3% right now.
Old 04-22-2024, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmurano View Post
just for grins, I evaluated all of the funds that were mentioned in this post. 99% of them I wouldn't own them, some were disasters. Some of them did pay some higher yields but overall they weren't that great. Some of these made 15% or more the past year but weren't looking good in the future nor did the history. Go out and check them out yourselves, it's pretty easy.
My criteria: high return/low risk (some of the mentioned funds were high risk with low returns), low fees which are .1% or lower, good dividend (3% or higher), history of growth and dividend increases. low turnover, and managers have invested in their own funds (if active).

Some stats: ANGL, high risk high return, ytd return is -1.6%, 3 year return is -12%, 5 year return is -3%.
VIG pretty good overall
EDF, very bad, 3.7% expense, average return, highest risk, 3 year return -38%, 5 year return -61%
ryld is pretty bad too, .6% expense, ytd return -3%, 1 year return -11%, 3 year return -34%, 5 year return -36%

I have a few index funds that returned more than 150% over 5 years. All of them were over 60% growth over a 5 years period. If you do investing on your own, use the stock/fund screener to find these jewels. I have been in these same funds for over a decade, some over 20 years. I have gotten out of the market totally 2 times in 30 years, beginning of 2022 and 2 weeks ago. I feel it's safer to be in money market funds for a while. Getting out in 2022 and getting back in gradually over 2023 was very lucrative to say the least. Didn't need to wait to recover 30-35% loss that the market had. I hope this last pullout will see the same type of growth when I get back in. Money markets are over 5.3% right now.
Not sure where you research comes from, but I have several sources. As for ANGL, I've owned it since 2016 and I'm up just over 5% on cap appreciation on top of paying an avg 6% div annualy, paid out over a monthly period. Expense ratio is 0.25, Mornigstar is 4 stars, beta is less than 1 (lower risk). Sounds to me like you are a market timer. If you are winning long term with that strategy, you are the only one I know who has done so and I've been investing since 1979. IMHO, ANGL has been good for the income side of my portfolio. Blink and you might miss your opportunity to get back in. Good luck.

ANGL
(Total Returns)
1 year
+9.58%
3 year
+1.56%
5 year
+5.23%
10 year
+6.04%
Life
+6.85%
Old 04-22-2024, 06:09 PM
Veteran member

I can tell you exactly what the share price of angl was 5 years ago and it was $28.91. Today it closed at $27.50, that’s not a 5% increase, it’s a $1.50 decrease, you can do the math for the %.

Even by using your stats which aren’t correct, a 6% gain over 10 years is worse than the average of 8% a year.
For comparison, 1 of my funds had a price of $200.89 5 years ago, and after the loses these past 2 weeks, the closing price today was $486.50, almost 130% gain over 5 years and this was not my best fund.
I don’t time the market, but if geopolitics or dumb things happen around us and I think we have a downturn coming, yes, I’ll go all money market until things get better. If I was still in the market these past 2 weeks, I would be down over $200k and we aren’t even close of the correction phase downturn that is occurring or the geopolitical problems being ironed out. If you think everything is going great, stay in.
Old 04-22-2024, 07:43 PM

Quote:
I can tell you exactly what the share price of angl was 5 years ago and it was $28.91. Today it closed at $27.50, that’s not a 5% increase, it’s a $1.50 decrease, you can do the math for the %.

Even by using your stats which aren’t correct, a 6% gain over 10 years is worse than the average of 8% a year.
For comparison, 1 of my funds had a price of $200.89 5 years ago, and after the loses these past 2 weeks, the closing price today was $486.50, almost 130% gain over 5 years and this was not my best fund.
I don’t time the market, but if geopolitics or dumb things happen around us and I think we have a downturn coming, yes, I’ll go all money market until things get better. If I was still in the market these past 2 weeks, I would be down over $200k and we aren’t even close of the correction phase downturn that is occurring or the geopolitical problems being ironed out. If you think everything is going great, stay in.
Total return numbers provided came from Fidelity and cross checked with Merrill Lynch, which matched closely.

This thread was a request for high yield funds. High yield funds aren’t an equal comparison to stock performance. ANGL is a portion of the fixed income assets in my portfolio. A 50 (stocks) / 30 (bonds) / 20 (cash) mix has always worked for me. Some years stocks do (much) better, some years bonds do better. ANGL has just been a good provider of consistent, fairly safe income for me since 2016. It really doesn’t matter to me what the price was on a given day, it's the averages published by data providers that are relevant.

You may be right about a forthcoming, extended correction, but that is why I hold steady income providers, cash and short-term bonds along with long term equity holdings. Rebounds often happen too quickly.

OP, I also hold JEPI and that has performed well also but the income is not as steady and Seeking Alpha has written it up as a fund that cannot sustain it’s dividend level. The fund indeed has recently had periods of lower dividends (dividends vary by month).
Old 04-23-2024, 01:12 PM
Veteran member

If you want safety with high yield, get into money market funds. If you have $1M or more to invest, you can get 5.37% yield, less than a million, you can get 5.1%, without losing any of your base. Stay in as long as you want.
I used to get in so-called safety investments: bonds and balanced funds and I stopped doing this 20 years ago. They just don’t make enough return and they can still lose 20-30% during downturns, maybe a little bit better than stocks/funds.
Old 04-23-2024, 02:03 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,642 Times in 1,769 Posts

Quote:
If you want safety with high yield, get into money market funds. If you have $1M or more to invest, you can get 5.37% yield, less than a million, you can get 5.1%, without losing any of your base. Stay in as long as you want.
I used to get in so-called safety investments: bonds and balanced funds and I stopped doing this 20 years ago. They just don’t make enough return and they can still lose 20-30% during downturns, maybe a little bit better than stocks/funds.
Right now 40% of my portfolio is in T-bills at Schwab and VMRXX at Vanguard.

As most of my securities are in taxable accounts I rarely trade due to friction (taxes and trading spreads). I tend to be a buy and hold investor. At this point in my life I want dividend income to replace the rental income from real estate properties I recently needed to sell as all the partners were aging out and/or dying.

Three quarters of my net worth remains in real estate investments, most of which I have held since the 1970s. It is essentially depreciated out and my basis is low. I ain't selling any more of it! Sales in 2022 and 2023 of commercial real estate properties in which I was a partner have pushed me into securities. I never spent much time on or even paid much attention to the stock market although I was lucky enough to buy a few few shares of BRK at a little over $3,000/share back in the 1980s. Happily, I hung onto it.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 04-25-2024, 01:28 PM

Thanks for the post OP,
Some interesting options presented.
Interest rates will come down most likely, now is a good time to lock in for a longer term perspective.
Amazing returns on CLM and CRF, both very interesting.
JEPI is one I will investigate further.
Old 04-30-2024, 09:40 AM
Default Etf

I like SVOL dividend is about 16% a year and share price is constant.
Old 04-30-2024, 09:48 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,789 Times in 3,653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgettinger01 View Post
I like SVOL dividend is about 16% a year and share price is constant.
Other than the fact it's down 20% over the last five years.

Tags
mlps, amlp, favorite, expense, ratio

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.