Financial Fraud & Seniors & What the State of Florida is Doing About It

Closed Thread
Old 05-10-2010, 07:40 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts
Default Financial Fraud & Seniors & What the State of Florida is Doing About It

I was doing a little online reading about financial stuff today, and one link led to another -- you know how that goes sometimes -- and I ended up with this link to a State of Florida site. Florida's Chief Financial Officer, Alex Sink, created "Safeguard Our Seniors" which is a task force that works to protect seniors from fraudulent investments and to toughen the laws to prosecute those who scam seniors.

If you open the link, you will find a lot of things to read. I have not read nearly all of them, but I have read enough to know that I am glad to see that Florida is trying to look out for one of its most valuable resources - retirees.

If you look in the lower left corner of the opening page, you will see a calendar of events link that takes you to a schedule of educational meetings coming up soon. One is in Ocala and one in Eustis. (not sure how far that is from TV) These meetings are to help seniors learn how to protect themselves from the unscrupulous sales pitches that are out there. There is a contact number listed there, too. (As I was pointing and clicking around I came across something about a meeting a while back in TV.)

Even though you might be feeling pretty savvy yourself right now, it might still be worth taking a look at this site. There may be those of you who have parents who could be in the position of falling victim to some of this stuff.

I am a big believer in educating ourselves on matters financial. It's a jungle out there and we have to be on watch for those poisonous snakes who are so good at camouflaging themselves.

http://www.flseniors.net/

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 05-10-2010 at 08:31 PM.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.