Frozen Credit

Closed Thread
Old 08-04-2023, 09:48 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts

Thanks for all your help on choosing Fidelity over Vanguard, lots to consider .
Yes, those returns on saving accounts are looking just as good as CD's.
Old 08-04-2023, 04:46 PM

Temperately would "unfreeze" it. It would just take longer. 😂
Old 08-04-2023, 05:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,914 Times in 918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinner1001 View Post
It has been well known that Vanguard’s computer system is old, prone to errors and delays. It’s been that way for multiple years. Fidelity’s computer system is relatively much better. OP could even go to Fidelity’s office at LSL. If you don’t have a strong preference toward either Vanguard or Fidelity, you might consider Fidelity’s local convenience factor.

This is an example of Vanguard’s computer system problems from a forum of Vanguard investors:
yeah, lots of old people, like jack, don't like paying so much for technology, as they are cheap, but there is a lot that modern technology can do which old peeps don't see the need for, because they haven't needed it. .

I have worked for both new and old technology companies, and to use technology at the optimum requires a really good CIO/CTO/COO combination

thanks for the link, validating your assertions. .
Old 08-04-2023, 08:37 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
Thanks for replies to my credit freeze question.

I tried to open up a account online with Vanguard, name, address, social, phone.

I got so far, then a phone number pop up to call Vanguard to continue.
I called Vanguard and they want to send me paper forms to complete to open up an account.

Is this normal procedure?
No I think you should be able to do it on line. This is the address I use to log on. It will let you open an account. Log in to view your accounts | Vanguard
Old 08-05-2023, 04:45 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,303 Times in 561 Posts

Call them directly, SCAMS are everywhere
Old 08-05-2023, 07:03 AM

We bank at Citizens First and was able to invest in CD totally online (transferring $ from existing account). Super easy - we love that bank!
Old 08-05-2023, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmurano View Post
If you want a local office, then Schwab, Edward Jones, Fidelity and possibly others, all have local offices. I haven’t been in a brokerage firms office in over 20 years, not sure why you would need to go into an office. When transferring 401k money from other institutions, Schwab sent me an overnight FedEx envelope to send the check in if I couldn’t transfer the money online.
I have built and/or bought 4 homes using my secure loan benefit from schwab. I was the bank giving draws to the builders, saved over 4% in getting construction/home loans on each home. You get up to 10 years on paying an interest only loan at a fairly cheap rate and then pay it off when you want. You can use these secure loans as a bridge loan when buying a house if you haven’t sold your existing house at no cost.
Being a schwab customer doing my own managing, I get a lot of perks that would normally cost into the thousands of $$$.
Maybe the other guys can provide these services too, but I doubt it.
What perks do you receive from Schwab?
I have been a long term client with substantial investment, without receiving any significant perks-
Old 08-05-2023, 01:17 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLJorgs View Post
We bank at Citizens First and was able to invest in CD totally online (transferring $ from existing account). Super easy - we love that bank!
I see Citizen's bank offers a savings account that pays a better return than on-line bank Ally.
Like someone mentioned why buy a CD when savings rates are high.
Old 08-05-2023, 09:55 PM

You may not need to unlock your credit if just buying a CD, but you should. I always keep my credit locked but always unlock it temporarily when doing any type of account transaction, especially if opening a new account. Any financial institution will do a credit check when opening a new account. Having your credit locked while trying to open that new CD is the probably the the reason that you have that extra paper work.
Closed Thread

Tags
credit, frozen, temperately, account, open

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.