Health Savings Account (HSA) in retirement?

Closed Thread
Old 10-25-2022, 08:31 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,347 Times in 735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailarlene View Post
You can keep your HSA when you retire and continue to use the money in it for qualified medical expenses and certain over-the counter items. However,you can no longer contribute to it
This is simply incorrect I and the internal revenue service disagree.

At AGE 65, not when you retire, is when you can no longer contribute. Retirement had nothing to do with it.

Last edited by Toymeister; 10-25-2022 at 10:06 AM.
Old 10-25-2022, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloan1960 View Post
To clarify- I can take my Health Insurance into retirement but not by Tax Deferred Health Savings Account (money is put aside tax free to be used only for medical care)
I retired from the government also. i took my health plan, GEHA with me into retirement. They also have something like the FSA, called health benefits which you can earn up to $250.00 per year to use towards medical prescriptions or other medical supplies.
Old 10-25-2022, 09:47 AM
Default Caution do not get the money transfer or you pay tax on it

you can go to any hsa this is just fidelity how to

Transfer Your HSA | Health Savings Account | Fidelity Investments
Old 10-25-2022, 09:48 AM

I had an HSA at BMO Harris bank when I retired. This year, BMO Harris transferred my account to Lively. Unfortunately I do not know much bout them
Old 10-25-2022, 12:48 PM

If you are looking for information about your Health Savings Account, I suggest that you go to Internal Revenue Service | An official website of the United States government. Some of the responses supplied on this forum are not correct.
Old 10-25-2022, 02:40 PM

Quote:
To clarify- I can take my Health Insurance into retirement but not by Tax Deferred Health Savings Account (money is put aside tax free to be used only for medical care)
I suggest you go to one of the free Medicare seminars provided in your state. In Florida, it is SHINE, in Virginia (me), it is VICAP. VICAP, if there are any fed employees/retirees in the audience, will discuss federal retirees special circumstances. I assume SHINE will or will refer you to someone who will. O

===========
"...federal employees are on borrowed time to maximize the tax-preferred benefits of an HSA. Once you retire and are on Medicare, you no longer qualify to receive an HSA from an HDHP and you can no longer make voluntary contributions to your HSA."
(source: Why a Health Savings Account is a Secret Weapon in Saving for Retirement - Government Executive)

===========
"Q2: What happens to money in my HSA when I
retire?
A: That depends:
• If you’re under age 65, retired and still have an
HSA-compatible health plan, you can continue to
contribute to the HSA and use the funds for
qualified medical expenses.
• If you’re under age 65, retired and don’t have an
HSA-compatible health plan, you’re no longer
eligible to contribute to the HSA, but can continue
to use the funds for qualified medical expenses
• If you’re 65 or older, retired and on Medicare,
you’re no longer eligible to contribute to the HSA,
but can continue to use the funds for qualified
medical expenses.
• If you’re 65 or older, you’re not limited to using an
HSA just for health care expenses. You may use it
for other expenses, however you’ll need to pay
income taxes on those amounts but won’t have any
early withdrawal penalties."
(source: https://www.livgov.com/hr/Documents/...-Questions.pdf)
Old 10-25-2022, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
Doesn’t make sense. Most financial planners suggest you do not tap into your HSA, pay medical bills out of income while you’re working. Use HSA in retirement
This used to make sense when more people itemized. Now that most don't and paying the medical expense out of pocket is not tax beneficial it really doesn't matter. In fact by using the HSA to pay expenses - if you are eligible - it may free up money to make the maximum HSA contribution.
Old 10-25-2022, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailarlene View Post
You can keep your HSA when you retire and continue to use the money in it for qualified medical expenses and certain over-the counter items. However, you can no longer contribute to it. Once the funds are used up it's done.
The CARES Act of 2020 added thousand of over the counter items that could be paid for by an HSA including allergy and cold meds, ointments, pain relievers and feminine care products.

Many taxpayers do not realize that they can pay their medicare premiums out of their HSA.
Old 10-25-2022, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
This is simply incorrect I and the internal revenue service disagree.

At AGE 65, not when you retire, is when you can no longer contribute. Retirement had nothing to do with it.
The actual rule is you cannot contribute to a HSA if you are enrolled in Medicare A,B or D.
If you're over 65 and not taking medicare you can still contribute.
If you're younger than 65 and taking medicare you cannot contribute.
Old 10-26-2022, 10:02 AM
Soaring Eagle member

🤔 don’t trust the govt.
Old 10-27-2022, 08:09 PM
Smile HSA for life

Quote:
I'll retire soon from the Federal Government. I have an HSA through them that I'm told I can't take into retirement.

It is the only plan I've ever known and I have no idea where to find a new plan. Any and all information about who offers these and how to sign up is appreciated.

Thanks!
It is truly amazing how much confusion and misinformation in this thread!

The OP apparently has an HDHP through the FEHB program for Federal Employees.

That HDHP insurance company probably opened an HSA at a financial firm of it's choosing, and contributed to it each year. Different insurance companies partner with different HSA trustees.

OP can keep that same HDHP plan and companion HSA account after retirement. However, once you reach age 65 and enroll in Medicare, you can no longer contribute to an HSA. If OP keeps the HDHP plan while on Medicare, contributions will be put into an FSA instead of the HSA.

You can (and probably should sometime) do a direct rollover from one HSA to another HSA. Fidelity HSA is the highest rated with no fees and no minimum balance.

For HSA ratings, see:
Best HSA Account Providers In 2022 | The College Investor
The Best HSA Accounts and Providers Guide | Morningstar

Last edited by jump4; 10-27-2022 at 08:20 PM.
Old 10-30-2022, 07:34 PM

Quote:
I'll retire soon from the Federal Government. I have an HSA through them that I'm told I can't take into retirement.

It is the only plan I've ever known and I have no idea where to find a new plan. Any and all information about who offers these and how to sign up is appreciated.

Thanks!
Keep the plan you have even when you turn 65. All the information that I have ever seen says your federal plan is the better than anything else. I have been retired for 15yrs and still have Fed Blue. The biggest challenge is making providers understand it is your primary health plan. Are you talking about health savings plans?
Old 10-30-2022, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jump4 View Post
It is truly amazing how much confusion and misinformation in this thread!

The OP apparently has an HDHP through the FEHB program for Federal Employees.

That HDHP insurance company probably opened an HSA at a financial firm of it's choosing, and contributed to it each year. Different insurance companies partner with different HSA trustees.

OP can keep that same HDHP plan and companion HSA account after retirement. However, once you reach age 65 and enroll in Medicare, you can no longer contribute to an HSA. If OP keeps the HDHP plan while on Medicare, contributions will be put into an FSA instead of the HSA.

You can (and probably should sometime) do a direct rollover from one HSA to another HSA. Fidelity HSA is the highest rated with no fees and no minimum balance.

For HSA ratings, see:
Best HSA Account Providers In 2022 | The College Investor
The Best HSA Accounts and Providers Guide | Morningstar
You do not have to take Medicare, you can keep your federal plan. Take Medicare part A because it is free and do not take B or supplemental plans.
Closed Thread

Tags
plan, retirement, hsa, appreciated, idea

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.