House of reps bill to eliminate all income taxes

Closed Thread
Old 01-11-2023, 07:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,915 Times in 918 Posts
Default House of reps bill to eliminate all income taxes

https://buddycarter.house.gov/upload..._act_118th.pdf

Replacing all taxes with a consumption tax. . . basically a sales and service tax. . .

not sure how this bill will get implemented, and even if its a good idea. . . switching from income earned to good and services purchased . . .
Old 01-11-2023, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post

Replacing all taxes with a consumption tax. . . basically a sales and service tax. . .

not sure how this bill will get implemented, and even if its a good idea. . . switching from income earned to good and services purchased . . .
Had to read it to believe it. Snowball chance in hades, but intriguing.
Old 01-11-2023, 07:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:

Silly me - I was going to say without an income tax system how does your buddy get paid back ? However I got my answer - 135 pages to describe a "sales tax".
Old 01-11-2023, 07:57 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,324 Times in 597 Posts

I would like to know who writes these bills.
Old 01-11-2023, 08:01 AM

The IRS is going to be completely restructured. Payroll taxes are voluntary. We will see many more positive changes due to NESARA being in the early stages. No more central banks UN etc
Old 01-11-2023, 08:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

First of many bills coming up in new congress…..with no chance of becoming law.
Old 01-11-2023, 08:15 AM

It's called the FAIR TAX, there is a web site, & a book. Repeal of the 16th amendment is included in the bill.
I'm all in.
Old 01-11-2023, 08:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

This "Fair Tax" is an excellent idea, ONLY if they do away with the Federal Income tax. This makes it fair for everyone, not just the wealthy carrying the load for everyone else.
Old 01-11-2023, 08:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:

Gave it a quick read...(45 minutes or so later...)

I agree with most. Never pass. And even if it did, implementing it would be contingent on repealing the 16th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution and THAT takes convincing a minimum of 38 of the states that it is a good idea.

Scary, though. As always the devil is in the details. Getting rid of the IRS sounds like a great idea but there will still need to be a bureaucracy in place to administer this thing. Also as I read it the individual will be far more responsible for keeping records than they are now, and that could be a real fly in the ointment.

Scariest though: this thing seems tailor-made for social engineering. The bill sets an arbitrary "base rate" which will be subject to periodic adjustment. What is to prevent the government deciding that the purchase of some items should be taxed at a higher rate than others? The bill doesn't say that it will do that, but it doesn't say that it won't. All the government needs to do is to decide that We The People shouldn't have this-or-that, and put the tax on it astronomically high, and Presto! Uncle Sam has at his disposal a unique instrument whereby he can direct the sheep to go in any direction he wants them to, independent of legislative action.

The IRS is a huge pain in the bleep, but in this case...better the devil you know than the devil you don't.
Old 01-11-2023, 09:36 AM

In high school in the 60s we learned that this is a type of regressive taxation designed to shift the burden from the wealthy to the poor.

i.e, i f I earn $40K to support my family, I spend every penny of it and pay tax on every penny spent. I have nothing to save and grow. BUT if I earn $400K to support my family and I spend (lets say) 200K living well and pay taxes at the same rate as the first guy on what I spent, I have left over $200K to invest and grow...and grow...and grow. And I can pass that on to my heirs forever because they won't have to work or pay an inheritance tax. The rich get richer, the poor get poorer!

FWIW In 1944, the top rate peaked at 94 percent on taxable income over $200,000 ($2.5 million in today's dollars)

History of Federal Income Tax Rates: 1913 – 2023
Old 01-11-2023, 10:26 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
I would like to know who writes these bills.
Fresh out of college kids.

What would my CPA do then?
Old 01-11-2023, 11:07 AM

How would this fund Social Security and Medicare?
Old 01-11-2023, 12:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,525 Times in 3,111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdiebill View Post
How would this fund Social Security and Medicare?
Social Security and Medicare don't get paid through INCOME tax. They get paid through social security and medicare tax. Yes they all come from income, so yes etymologically they are all income taxes. But only one is -called- "Income Tax." The others are called FICA - which is federal insurance contributions act.
Old 01-11-2023, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Social Security and Medicare don't get paid through INCOME tax. They get paid through social security and medicare tax. Yes they all come from income, so yes etymologically they are all income taxes. But only one is -called- "Income Tax." The others are called FICA - which is federal insurance contributions act.
The whole point of getting rid of the income tax is to starve Medicare and Social Security. Payroll taxes will not fund nearly enough for benefits. Gutting Medicare and Social Security is the Republicans' dream.
Old 01-11-2023, 06:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,525 Times in 3,111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pballer View Post
The whole point of getting rid of the income tax is to starve Medicare and Social Security. Payroll taxes will not fund nearly enough for benefits. Gutting Medicare and Social Security is the Republicans' dream.
Except - as I said - income tax doesn't fund Social Security or Medicare. FICA payroll contributions fund it. It's a separate line item on your paycheck. Even if you don't have anything taken out of your paycheck for income tax at all - you'll still see a FICA deduction.

The "Fair Tax Act" has nothing to do with fairness, and everything to do with keeping the poor poor, and the rich, rich. Here's the actual text of the Act:
Quote:
FairTax Act of 2021

This bill imposes a national sales tax on the use or consumption in the United States of taxable property or services in lieu of the current income taxes, payroll taxes, and estate and gift taxes. The rate of the sales tax will be 23% in 2023, with adjustments to the rate in subsequent years. There are exemptions from the tax for used and intangible property; for property or services purchased for business, export, or investment purposes; and for state government functions.

Under the bill, family members who are lawful U.S. residents receive a monthly sales tax rebate (Family Consumption Allowance) based upon criteria related to family size and poverty guidelines.

The states have the responsibility for administering, collecting, and remitting the sales tax to the Treasury.

Tax revenues are to be allocated among (1) the general revenue, (2) the old-age and survivors insurance trust fund, (3) the disability insurance trust fund, (4) the hospital insurance trust fund, and (5) the federal supplementary medical insurance trust fund.

No funding is authorized for the operations of the Internal Revenue Service after FY2025.

Finally, the bill terminates the national sales tax if the Sixteenth Amendment to the Constitution (authorizing an income tax) is not repealed within seven years after the enactment of this bill.
So - if you buy a condo complex (investment) then you are exempt from paying sales tax on the property. But if you're a homeowner and buy a condo in that complex, you have to pay a minimum of 23% sales tax on it.

How many people in this country, who are currently college students preparing for life away from their parents' homes, will be able to afford a house PLUS 23% of its cost stacked on top of it, by the time they turn 30? What kind of home will they be able to afford?

There's a good looking house in Ocala for $220,000. 1236 square feet, 3bed 2 bath, 2-car garage, built in 2001 so not very old. That sales price will now be 270,600.

Don't forget the states will be responsible for collecting the tax and handing it over to the Fed, and the states have to be paid for THEIR work - so you can just bump the property tax up to cover that expense. Because local/municipal/county property tax is not the same as sales tax. Closing costs on a home like that would be around $8,000.

So the $220,000 house is now almost $280,000 after all is said and done. That's going to make a lot of homebuyers ineligible for their mortgage. Even if they can afford the house and the closing costs, they have just been forced to lower their standards of what they can afford, assuming they need a mortgage (which most people in this country need, if they want to buy a house).

And yet - that rich guy who wants to buy a family compound and write it off as an "investment" won't have to pay a dime.
Closed Thread

Tags
tax, bill, income, taxes, good

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.