How has the stock market been treating you?

Closed Thread
Old 06-07-2022, 02:52 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts
Default How has the stock market been treating you?

Throughout May and now into June after receiving a large chunk of change from the sale of a commercial real estate property at the end of March I have been dipping my toe into the water so to speak, buying a little of this here and a smidgeon of that there. I am in no rush to dive in. On one hand if the market turns up I do not want to be left behind; on the other hand if it dives further I don't want to have placed too much in it. Rising interest rates and a recession seem to be on the near horizon but Mr. Market appears to be oblivious.

Anyone have any thoughts about taking action on the buy or sell side at this time and if so on which sectors?

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 06-07-2022, 04:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,052 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Throughout May and now into June after receiving a large chunk of change from the sale of a commercial real estate property at the end of March I have been dipping my toe into the water so to speak, buying a little of this here and a smidgeon of that there. I am in no rush to dive in. On one hand if the market turns up I do not want to be left behind; on the other hand if it dives further I don't want to have placed too much in it. Rising interest rates and a recession seem to be on the near horizon but Mr. Market appears to be oblivious.

Anyone have any thoughts about taking action on the buy or sell side at this time and if so on which sectors?
I do believe that all info available is factored into the stock market pricing and kind of think the market is near or close to a bottom so started to invest into mutual funds that have done well for me over the years.
Old 06-07-2022, 04:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Just one word: Plastics
Old 06-07-2022, 07:07 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Timing the market is very very hard. So figure out how much you want to put in the market. Not sure if I recall correctly but I think some studies say put in all in now as opposed to waiting and see what happens. I think I would dollar cost average into the market over say the next 6 to 9 months. That way if it goes down you won't feel so bad. l But assuming you are a long term investor you should be up in 10 years no matter how you got in the market.
Old 06-07-2022, 08:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,089 Times in 2,750 Posts

As Norm from Cheers once said, “It’s a dog eat dog world out there, and I’m wearing milk bone underwear”.
Old 06-13-2022, 10:24 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post

As a follow-up to the OP’s June 7 post……..

Well, the market certainly is not oblivious this morning.

It’s days like this when the two rules of investing that I have used for years are coming through loud and clear:

1. Know thyself
2. Know what you buy……..
And, also……Rule # 3: Always, always, always maintain a moat of cash to protect stocks — even if the cash is paying nada, zero, zip, zilch. The cost of sleep is worth it.

I think some serious buying opportunities will be coming soon. It could be a good time for investors to study up on the lists of Dividend Aristocrats and Dividend Kings and see if any of them look interesting and then delve into their div safety — FCF, payout ratio, pe, beta, etc. And then decide whether to do a little shopping.

Even those stalwart, boring stocks can be booted off the list though.

I will say that I think this is going to be with us for a while.

The Fed meeting is looming over the market this week. It is rumored to be a big increase. And yet, CD rates will not get real any time soon, if ever.

I have seen a lot of markets. This one is in the shadow of two Black Swan events — Covid and the war. Add inflation to that and a bat-sheet crazy housing market — and a rocky ride this will be.

This is when I am especially happy that we do not have a financial advisor — who will get paid whether the clients do or not. I prefer to make my own decisions — and my own mistakes. But I understand that others have other approaches and prefer to turn over the responsibility. Not judging…..I realize they are just following my Rule #1.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 06-13-2022 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-13-2022, 10:49 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
As a follow-up to the OP’s June 7 post……..

Well, the market certainly is not oblivious this morning.

It’s days like this when the two rules of investing that I have used for years are coming through loud and clear:

1. Know thyself
2. Know what you buy……..
And, also……Rule # 3: Always, always, always maintain a moat of cash to protect stocks — even if the cash is paying nada, zero, zip, zilch. The cost of sleep is worth it.

I think some serious buying opportunities will be coming soon. It could be a good time for investors to study up on the lists of Dividend Aristocrats and Dividend Kings and see if any of them look interesting and then delve into their div safety — FCF, payout ratio, pe, beta, etc. And then decide whether to do a little shopping.

Even those stalwart, boring stocks can be booted off the list though.

I will say that I think this is going to be with us for a while.

The Fed meeting is looming over the market this week. It is rumored to be a big increase. And yet, CD rates will not get real any time soon, if ever.

I have seen a lot of markets. This one is in the shadow of two Black Swan events — Covid and the war. Add inflation to that and a bat-sheet crazy housing market — and a rocky ride this will be.

This is when I am especially happy that we do not have a financial advisor — who will get paid whether the clients do or not. I prefer to make my own decisions — and my own mistakes. But I understand that others have other approaches and prefer to turn over the responsibility. Not judging…..I realize they are just following my Rule #1.

Boomer
Starting to more or less dollar average into the market now. Think info is already factored into price to a large extent.
Old 06-13-2022, 10:49 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Let technical analysis guide you. Like Trendspider. No emotion involved. All indicators point to further decline. The big short has bet 20 percent of his portfolio against Apple and been printing money.

Check this site out.

https://twitter.com/Jake__Wujastyk
Old 06-13-2022, 11:31 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,200 Times in 327 Posts

Grrrrrrr. Soon the Dow will be under 30k. There is no good stable comforting news to strengthen the markets. Downdowndown. And appears simply nothing from DC is in the wings to limit the drops. Grrrrr.
Old 06-13-2022, 12:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,742 Times in 5,255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvflguy View Post
Grrrrrrr. Soon the Dow will be under 30k. There is no good stable comforting news to strengthen the markets. Downdowndown. And appears simply nothing from DC is in the wings to limit the drops. Grrrrr.
That's the problem. Too many people expect the Government to control the stock market, interest rates, gas prices, and everything else. I would rather have the Government leave things to the free market.
Old 06-13-2022, 12:28 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Over the last two months I have slowly put about 20% of my after tax sale proceeds into the market in what I believe to be good solid mostly dividend paying stocks. I agree with the prior posts seeing this market as continuing to soften and possibly drop significantly for several reasons.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 06-13-2022, 01:54 PM

COULDNT BE HAPPIER with fossil fuel stocks like devon and playing natural gas futures
Old 06-13-2022, 02:55 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Oil stocks getting hammered today. Nothing is safe in this environment. Little liquidity
Old 06-13-2022, 03:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
That's the problem. Too many people expect the Government to control the stock market, interest rates, gas prices, and everything else. I would rather have the Government leave things to the free market.
Very true. Not to mention I am from the govt and here to help.

Run Forrest Run.
Old 06-13-2022, 10:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,089 Times in 2,750 Posts

Not very well, but better than the Crypto market.
Closed Thread

Tags
market, hand, left, behind;, dives

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.