How high will it go?

Closed Thread
Old 07-09-2023, 09:29 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts
Default How high will it go?

The Fed Rate, that is. Fed interest-rate hike seen a lock for July | Reuters

For now I am staying out of long term bonds and in T bills as I believe it will be quite a while before the fat lady sings.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 07-09-2023, 10:31 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,045 Times in 536 Posts
Default Much higher

Are we still going through a very large inflationary trend? Yes. The larger driving issue will be the global inflationary trend which has displayed ZERO indications of slowing. Our economy is not all that independent of the European economy or any economy for that matter. There is plenty of trouble ahead.

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning
Old 07-09-2023, 10:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,427 Times in 2,269 Posts

Right now I have six 6 month treasury bonds. One maturing every month. I still have a couple one and two year that are between 4 and 5 percent. I’ll probably stick to the six month and one year model until we get to 6 percent. We are living on cash for another three years until we start drawing social security and our retirements so it’s nice having something maturing every month in case we need a quick infusion of cash.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 07-09-2023, 12:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,050 Times in 5,337 Posts

Believe another 1/2% or so and we will be at the top. Starting to think we will not be getting a recession anytime soon.
Old 07-09-2023, 12:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,087 Times in 2,748 Posts

Hopefully high enough so holders of US Treasuries can return to the good old days of earning a consistent real risk free rate of return above the level of inflation.
Closed Thread

Tags
bills, bonds, fat, lady, term

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.