Investing information - market updates

Closed Thread
Old 01-09-2013, 11:41 PM
Default Investing information - market updates

I thought I would start this thread for investing information/ market updates. I assume many of us get this type of information so it may be a good place to share. Let's see how it goes! It is hard to believe that large cap stocks are up 128% from the low (2009) and small cap stocks are up 160%! Wow! -- good luck to all in 2013.

Attached is a very good 2012 market summary from JP Morgan. I don't use their funds (I prefer Vanguard, ETF's and DFA) but they have good market analysis.

2012 JP Morgan market update jp-littlebook pdf.pdf

Market Summary for 2012
All major US market indices were up substantially for 2012. The S&P 500 gained 13.4%, and with dividends included, logged a total return of 16%. The NASDAQ Composite Index gained 15.9% for the year, and the Russell 2000, a popular benchmark for small company US stocks, returned 16.3%. The Dow Jones Industrial Average gained 7.3%. The market’s strong performance came with lower volatility, as gauged by the CBOE Volatility Index, which had its largest annual decrease since 2009.

Non-US developed market indices performed even better. The MSCI World ex USA Index, a benchmark for large cap stocks in developed markets outside the US, returned 16.4%. The MSCI Emerging Markets Index returned 18.2%.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:08 PM
Gold member

I remain optimistic for 2013. The housing turn around will help drive the economy and there is lots of cash around that investors are keeping out of the market for now. Health care sector should do well due to large baby boomer numbers. Now if we just can get the government to do their part.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:46 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I think 2013 will be OK but after that who knows.

I think history tells us that you should stay in the market through the ups and downs. Problem is you should not be selling securities during the down years to fund your living expenses. Thus you probably need about 5 years of living expenses in cash or securities that will mature when you need the funds.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:38 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I still follow the "boogleheads" investment approach. Use VERY low cost index funds, set your asset allocation, diversify, re-balance, and stay the course. So far it has always worked well. I do several minor adjustments to this plan like a small cap tilt, a small amount in gold stocks, and maintain an international percentage a bit higher then they recommend. Those are all minor adjustments though and I basically follow a lazy traders fund slice and dice model.

If you believe you can't beat the market because you are always betting against people who do it 180% of their time and therefor invest in the total market, it really does work.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:59 PM
Sage

[QUOTE=batman911;606741]I remain optimistic for 2013. The housing turn around will help drive the economy and there is lots of cash around that investors are keeping out of the market for now. Health care sector should do well due to large baby boomer numbers.

I also think the economy would be helped, if their corporations that have been sitting on a lot of cash would hire a lot of people and put money back into the economy. It would be nice to see the unemployment rate go down to a reasonable level.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 01-10-2013, 03:17 PM

Very good approach. 90%+ of your typical yearly return is determined by asset allocation and VERY LOW EXPENSES. Small cap and Value tilts are also important to boost returns. Capitalism works over time. Vanguard REIT fund is also good (NOT private non-traded REITs-- these are typically riddled with problems). Be careful with your bond fund time horizon (shorter is better with projected rising rates). Good luck to all.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:15 PM
Veteran member
Default 2013 INvestments

I frequent yahoo.finance on a regular basis.

Today they had a Poll

More than $19 billion flowed into U.S. equity funds this week, the fourth-highest uptick since 2000. Are you getting back into the game?

.Poll Choice Options
Yes, I'm getting back into stocks
I'm cautious but thinking of getting back in
No, I'm staying on the sidelines

I could not respond because I never left the game....

We've been in a super strong bull market the last 4 years which I think is only 2nd to the 9 consecutive years in the 90s.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperclip202 View Post
I thought I would start this thread for investing information/ market updates. I assume many of us get this type of information so it may be a good place to share. Let's see how it goes! It is hard to believe that large cap stocks are up 128% from the low (2009) and small cap stocks are up 160%! Wow! -- good luck to all in 2013.

Attached is a very good 2012 market summary from JP Morgan. I don't use their funds (I prefer Vanguard, ETF's and DFA) but they have good market analysis.

Attachment 8490

Market Summary for 2012
All major US market indices were up substantially for 2012. The S&P 500 gained 13.4%, and with dividends included, logged a total return of 16%. The NASDAQ Composite Index gained 15.9% for the year, and the Russell 2000, a popular benchmark for small company US stocks, returned 16.3%. The Dow Jones Industrial Average gained 7.3%. The market’s strong performance came with lower volatility, as gauged by the CBOE Volatility Index, which had its largest annual decrease since 2009.

Non-US developed market indices performed even better. The MSCI World ex USA Index, a benchmark for large cap stocks in developed markets outside the US, returned 16.4%. The MSCI Emerging Markets Index returned 18.2%.
paperclip202, Thank you for posting the market summary for 2012. I have been trying to keep better track of my 401K performance and my IRA performance as I want to be living in TV someday and not in a cardboard box under a bridge!
Old 01-13-2013, 11:49 PM

Not a problem. Good luck getting to TV someday!

As you may have seen in the JP Morgan review, REITs have had a great run over the last 10 years. Vanguard has a solid ETF and MF. If possible, I suggest not giving up daily liquidity (never!). There are lots of people selling non-traded (private REIT's).

Information below from FINRA. if you are thinking about buying non-traded REITs. BE VERY CAREFUL. These are typically sold because of very high commissions to the sales rep (as high as 7% to 12%).

Public Non-Traded REIT Tip Sheet (source: FINRA website)
Investor Alert - Public Non-Traded REITs?Perform a Careful Review Before Investing - FINRA

These tips can help avoid some common pitfalls and misconceptions surrounding public non-traded REIT investing:

If you need information about insurance as an investment, see my previous comment in the annuities thread. It has FINRA public information alerts (PDF files) for variable annuities and equity indexed annuities. Lots of free lunch seminars try to sell these products. Watch out!!

annuities
Old 01-27-2013, 10:15 AM
Default Strategies to boost Social Security

Here is a good article from Kiplingers regarding Social Security. "Strategies to boost your Social Security". Some good options to consider.

Kiplinger - Interstitial

Also, here is the 2013 investment outlook from Jim Paulsen at Well Capital Management. Take a look.

Wells Cap 2013 investment outlook.pdf

Good luck to all.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:46 PM
Veteran member

If and when the retail investor starts heading back to the market that's the time to hunker down
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.