Investment advisor recommendation

Closed Thread
Old 01-26-2022, 09:57 AM
Default Blackstone Financial

These guys are a fiduciary. They work for you. Very highly recommended. Brownwood free consultation. Check with them, they will not steer you wrong.
Old 01-26-2022, 10:38 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,377 Times in 500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmpettus View Post
These guys are a fiduciary. They work for you. Very highly recommended. Brownwood free consultation. Check with them, they will not steer you wrong.
I know that they give their investors lots of expensive parties and events and gifts and this makes me wonder where that money comes from? Is it built into their fees? I am not trying to discredit them but just curious.
Old 01-26-2022, 10:40 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,782 Times in 3,648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmpettus View Post
These guys are a fiduciary.
This provides NO guarantees. ZERO.
Old 01-26-2022, 10:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,089 Times in 2,750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
This provides NO guarantees. ZERO.
But it’s a fancy word that sucks people in!
Old 01-26-2022, 10:48 AM

Look at the massive advertising, promotions and free parties etc. that a company has. That money comes out of YOUR pocket. Be careful.
Old 01-26-2022, 10:55 AM
Default Wes Martin with Mariner Investment Group out of New Albany, Indiana.

Wes Martin is one of the smartest investors we have ever met. He truly puts your money where he puts his. They are associated with Charles Schwab and can offer all of the benefits Schwab has. He is well versed on tax laws and stays up-to-date on everything that can affect your portfolio. We’ve been with him over 20 years and have not regretted one moment. Wes is also very friendly and personable. Even though his office is located in Indiana he has clients all over the world, including several now in Florida. In fact he lives in Florida most of the year. Call him at 812-542-0993. You won’t regret it.
Old 01-26-2022, 10:58 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

When I was just getting started in my professional life one of my colleagues referred to stock brokers as stock bookies. That has stuck with me even though these days they like to call themselves financial advisors.

It might be wise to compare one's own educational background, financial expertise, capabilities and economic success with any potential "financial advisor" before hiring him or her.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 01-26-2022, 11:01 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

If they don’t gather assets under management they won’t be employed long. It’s all about hand holding. Period. Ancillary services are another matter. It’s your money. Hold on to it.

Everyone is a star in a rising market. Things on the verge of changing,

Just the facts. The rest is noise.

Active fund managers trail the S&P 500 for the ninth year in a row in triumph for indexing

Last edited by Babubhat; 01-26-2022 at 11:06 AM.
Old 01-26-2022, 11:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,743 Times in 5,255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babubhat View Post
If they don’t gather assets under management they won’t be employed long. It’s all about hand holding. Period. Ancillary services are another matter. It’s your money. Hold on to it.

Everyone is a star in a rising market. Things on the verge of changing,

Just the facts. The rest is noise.

Active fund managers trail the S&P 500 for the ninth year in a row in triumph for indexing
Not news to me. Almost all of the stock portion of my assets has been invested in the Vanguard S&P 500 Index Fund for about 40 years. Another good choice is the Vanguard Total Bond Market Index Fund. If the financial advisors can't outperform the indexes, there is no reason to hire them.
Old 01-26-2022, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj1040 View Post
Steve Schneider at TB financial was a finalist in our exhaustive search...they use Fidelity and he is a fiduciary meaning not trying to sell you any particular product for his benefit. We chose Blackston Financial in the end and they use TD Am. so that would be easy for you. It is a larger firm, also fiduciaries.
We use Blackston as well. Very happy with our guy, Travis Bender. We like that they are fiduciaries.
Old 01-26-2022, 11:42 AM

My wife and I have put our trust in Jean Dorrell, Jean runs senior financial. We’ve been with her for several years and credit her with our early retirement. She can be reached at 352-307-8652. Good luck!
Old 01-26-2022, 11:48 AM

I would only trust a fee-only fiduciary financial planner. Find one from this site :

The National Association of Personal Financial Advisors | NAPFA

Have them look at your entire financial picture. They will ask about your goals and risk tolerance. I would not have them handle my money for a fee (it is an option). Rather they tell us how to handle and invest our money in the most responsible way. We were paying for hourly advice twice a year and switched to a yearly plan where they are always available to answer questions as they arise.

They do not give free dinners and they are not tied to any specific investment type or institution. I have found diversification is very important. They can cover specifics about mortgages, insurance needs (umbrella, life, etc). Social Security planning using sophisticated tools to decide at which age to take it.

Good luck!
Old 01-26-2022, 01:16 PM
Default Advisor

I use Kevin Ganus at Wells Fargo. Lots of experience, very professional recommendations, does not work with annuities, is a vice president as his organization. Does not do the "big, fancy" events to draw clients that some organizations here put on. But he seems much more knowledgeable about good financial practice that any of the 10 or so other financial advisors I've met with or worked with in my life. I've been with him for 3 years now.
Old 01-26-2022, 01:17 PM
Default The 1% fee they charge will dramatically lowere your return over time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catmostar View Post
We are looking for a new investment advisor. I have had BAD luck with the last several and have being using TDAmeritrade on my own. I did OK last year, but I want someone who knows what they are doing. I do not want any income - no annuities - just want to increase my net worth.

I looked at some on the internet in Lake Sumter, but they are so young/inexperienced.

Any suggestions?
Look at Vanguard. Do it your self with a balanced fund or pay then.3% for management.
Old 01-26-2022, 02:21 PM
Default Agreed, and fiduciary definition

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsetc View Post
I would suggest you save the cost (1+% annually), invest the time it takes to vet a new person in a bit of self-education and then do it yourself.

Take time to read Paul Merriman’s 3 FREE ebooks.
1. First-Time Investor
2. 101 Investment Decisions
3. Get Smart or Get Screwed (read this first!)

Found at paulmerriman.com

He also makes solid recommendations on mutual fund portfolios at several low cost providers (Vanguard/Fidelity ...). I have been using his info since 2005 and can claim a solid and happy retirement so far.

If you do go with someone, make them show you their fiduciary agreement which they should sign and determine EXACTLY how they are paid for their services - hourly, % of manage funds, by trading/churning, commissions on products or stocks they promote and sell you ...

JMHO
Agreed. And, in case the OP and other don't know what a fiduciary is and why their fiduciary agreement is important:

"What Is a Fiduciary? A fiduciary is a person or organization that acts on behalf of another person or persons, putting their clients' interests ahead of their own, with a duty to preserve good faith and trust. Being a fiduciary thus requires being bound both legally and ethically to act in the other's best interests."
Closed Thread

Tags
advisor, investment, luck, worth, income

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.