Investor Clubs in TV?

Closed Thread
Old 03-01-2009, 06:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

I'm filty rich - as long as I continue to like beans and , more importantly, I don't live too long LOL
Old 05-14-2009, 09:09 AM
Default Interested in Vector Vest Club

Gene,

My husband and I attended the Orlando Vector Vest meeting but have been too busy trading to implement it.

We would very much like to be included in a Vector Vest club.

How about setting up a planning meeting to assign parameters and then seek members?

Deb
Old 09-15-2011, 08:06 AM
Platinum member

Is this an active thread?
Old 06-03-2012, 08:38 PM

I am looking for a group interesting in trading (swing, day) stock options. I don't know if that's something you'd be interested in doing. I use the thinkorswim platform and belong to a group that meets once a month in Orlando, but no one in the Villages seems to be interested in options trading.There are investment groups here, but seem to be interested in just going long on stocks.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:01 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneroses View Post
There are 2 clubs that I know of. The OBG Investment Club meets at 1 PM on the 3rd Wednesday of the month. They're affiliated with NAIC. An announcement of their meeting is in the 2/2/09 Recreation News so they are active.

I have a small Daily Sun notice from May 2007 about the Double Five Investment Club that meets on the second Monday of the month at El Santiago. I don't know if they are still active. If you want the contact phone numbers from that article, please PM me.

The OBG investment club IS NO MORE. I was president when it folded.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, scotch in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 07-08-2012, 09:45 AM
Location: Monroe, MI, USAF, Ogden UT, Tipp City OH, Troy OH, The Villages since 2002

The Double five Investment club meets on the second Monday at the Savannah Center starting at 8:00 AM. Visitors are welcome. A club using VV is interesting to me also.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:48 PM

Stock investing is my passion. I used to be a VV member, but found that a lot of their recommendations were "after the fact". They would list the searches that did the best after the market moved.

I have studied Elliott Wave, Chapman Wave, Fibonacci, Murrey Math, etc. but find the IBD method is currently my favorite. There is an IBD group in The Villages that I plan to join.

You might want to look into this group.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:02 AM
Sage

I'd like to see a revival of this thread...

I'm a novice but plan to learn some sort of trading...even considered day trading. Before you laugh too hard, I would not use any money I couldn't afford to lose...which wouldn't be much. ;^) But I just want to do it, kind of like a retirement hobby (that I would take very seriously).

I'd welcome any advice...books...software, etc. and would also love to learn about any clubs active in TV.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:06 PM

You might want to take up another hobby in TV There are tons of things to do!

Some points to consider:
- With high frequency trading and dark pools, the individual investor is at a huge disadvantage.
- Markets are fairly effecient and forward looking. The total return for any given year may only be determined by only 10 trading days.
- Over the 10 year period ending in 2011 about 53% of equity mutual funds closed the fund (due to lack of performance). It was worse for bond funds. About 80% to 85% of funds do not beat their benchmark over multi year periods. When you account for luck, there is little or no skill - net of fees.
- Just last year, over 600 hedge funds went out of business.
- Some good books to read would be:
- Anything by Larry Swedroe - he has around 14 books.
- William Bernstien - Investors Manifesto, 4 pillars of investing
- John C. Bogle - Common Sense Investing

Good luck. I hope you find a hobby that works for you.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:43 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glgene View Post
About a month ago, I did a post, asking if many (any?) belonged to Investor Clubs at TV. Got no responses.

Is that an unpopular question, or is everybody there filthy rich?

When we move to TV, we certainly want to join an Investors Club (1 or 2). That will be our part-time jobs...generating investment income to augment our retirement income. Would love to get with others 1-2 times a week to share investment ideas.

I was a co-founder of a Vector Vest (stocks, ETFs) Users Group in my home state. Found it very enjoyable. In addition to Vector Vest, I also use Stockfetcher.com software, along with FastTrack software (for mutual funds). Kathy also uses Vector Vest software (a newbie). She graduated college with a 3.99 GPA, so she's catching on fast!

Gene and Kathy, SW Ohio
TV Wannabes
If we weren't FILITHY RICH we wouldn't be living in The Villages.

If you'll that SMART why do you have to do it part-time?
What was your GPA?????
Old 02-09-2013, 07:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperclip202 View Post
You might want to take up another hobby in TV There are tons of things to do...I hope you find a hobby that works for you.
Now wait...I didn't say I was looking for a hobby. I have plenty of plans for using my time at TV. I just want to trade small time for fun also. :^)

And thanks for the info!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.