Just a remainder that there are years of negative stock / index returns

Closed Thread
Old 12-28-2022, 10:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
I have been expecting a big time crash for a while now that has not YET materialized. Since we should be able to live fairly comfortably on our savings, the pension from my employer, and Social Security, I have our savings portfolio positioned very conservatively (cash, the equity in our two homes, three cars, three golf carts, tractor, ATV’s, motorcycle, and other assorted toys, and a health inventory of gold). With the benefit of hindsight, I definitely got out of equities prematurely but have no regrets as I sleep well at night with no worries, especially during 2022. Another reason I keep our savings portfolio so conservative is because the future viability of both my pension and social security are directly linked to the health of equities. I don’t wish financial pain on anyone, but I would very much welcome a big time market crash. First, it would bring inflation to its knees, and second, it would be very nice to get back into equities at much more reasonable levels that should provide long term lower risk growth.

On a side note, does anyone remember the days when a responsible Federal Reserve managed interest rates so that savers could buy risk free Treasuries and earn a real inflation adjusted rate of return of 3 or 4 percent? How nice would that be today, I’d buy a bunch of Treasure notes and bonds if I could earn 12 or 13%. Oh well, life is good, time to finish packing the car so we can hit the road first thing tomorrow morning and get to our home in the Villages for the rest of the winter : )
Good post and drive safely.
Closed Thread

Tags
levels, years, 50%, amzn, nflx

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.