Lets type about bond interest rates, credit risk and bond ETF ladders

Closed Thread
Old 04-24-2022, 08:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,911 Times in 917 Posts
Default Lets type about bond interest rates, credit risk and bond ETF ladders

Lots of inflation discussion about bond rates, CDs which should never be purchased, and maybe unrealistic expectations about future inflation.

Here is a really cool web site for those who want to play around with Bond ETFs and interest rate / return risk bond ladders

iBonds Ladder Tool | iShares – BlackRock

There are graphics attached, I just couldn't fit a screen shot without requiring glasses on one picture. ..

You can pick different types of bond ETFs, Treasury, Municipals, Corporates, High Yield

Then you can pick the amount of the portfolio, maturity, and get portfolio statistics, along with a graph showing you the ETFs and where they sit on interest rate curve.

Bonds are much different than equities, as they have fixed interest payments over a specific period of time. The price to pay for that fixed interest payment stream has two components: credit risk, which is the risk of getting the bond face price back at maturity, and interest rate risk, which is the fluctuation of demand for that payment stream at any particular price and point in time.

Interest rate risk only affects the current price and the longer the maturity, the greater the fluctuation in price. As the time to maturity becomes very short, the market price converges with the maturity value of the face price or value at redemption. If the bond is held to maturity, then daily market fluctuations are meaningless, and the only risk is credit risk, and if you will get all your money back, simply stated: a probability assigned to getting the face value back at maturity. . .

For small accounts, < $10M treasuries are the best starting point, and then increase returns with corporates and longer durations, but never longer than your expected life span, which is yes, uncertain.

The future is always uncertain, sometimes more uncertain that at other times.

enough for now,
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	isharesBondLadders1.jpg
Views:	2213
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	93477   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	isharesBondLadders2.jpg
Views:	2249
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	93479  

Last edited by CoachKandSportsguy; 04-24-2022 at 08:47 AM. Reason: speeling koorekshuns
Old 04-24-2022, 09:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

If you purchase an I bond before the end of this coming week you will be guaranteed 7.12% interest for the first 6 months and then 9.62 % interest for the following 6 months. After that the rates of your bond changes every 6 months (may and nov) indexed to inflation. You must hold for one year. If cashed in between years 2 - 5 you forfeit the last three months interest. After 5 years no penalty. These I bonds are issued solely by the government. The only place to purchase is TreasuryDirect - Home. Google I Bonds on YOUTUBE - lots of videos at present.
Old 04-24-2022, 10:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,049 Times in 5,337 Posts

Interesting information

Have done well over the years with a high yield bond fund (once called junk bonds).

Spreads out the risk by holding numerous corporate bonds by various durations.
Old 04-24-2022, 12:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,783 Times in 1,245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
If you purchase an I bond before the end of this coming week you will be guaranteed 7.12% interest for the first 6 months and then 9.62 % interest for the following 6 months. After that the rates of your bond changes every 6 months (may and nov) indexed to inflation. You must hold for one year. If cashed in between years 2 - 5 you forfeit the last three months interest. After 5 years no penalty. These I bonds are issued solely by the government. The only place to purchase is TreasuryDirect - Home. Google I Bonds on YOUTUBE - lots of videos at present.
For those unaware, you can purchase additional $5,000 per person per year directly from a tax refund but a physical bond will be delivered vs. using an online account.
Old 04-24-2022, 12:43 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts

I just passed my 1 year in a I-bond, (maximum invested), Whoo Whoo.

Now I'll wait 4 more years to withdraw my principal investment with interest.
Old 04-24-2022, 02:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,911 Times in 917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
This post is for the remaining portfolio after you hit the Ibond maximum, without withdrawal penalties and you want to structure a bond portfolio to maximize return and minimize risk. just buying once a year Ibonds is a limited option
Old 04-24-2022, 02:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
This post is for the remaining portfolio after you hit the Ibond maximum, without withdrawal penalties and you want to structure a bond portfolio to maximize return and minimize risk. just buying once a year Ibonds is a limited option
Yes - just making folks aware of a unique opportunity that exists until the end of this week in the I bond market.
Old 04-24-2022, 03:06 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

The amount you can buy is immaterial for many. Xyld and Qyld will earn 1percent a month as long as the market does not implode. Covered calls written on indexes
Old 04-24-2022, 04:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,083 Times in 2,746 Posts

Interest rates are way too low, well below the inflation rate, resulting in bond holders earning a negative rate of return. The risk premium for owing speculative grade debt is also way too low relative to historic averages, and with many economists predicting a recession, future defaults rates would most likely more than wipe out the current risk premiums available on a well diversified portfolio of junk bonds. Laddering a fixed income portfolio can help reduce yield curve risk, but interest rates are currently so low that fixed income is simply a bad investment anywhere along the curve.
Old 04-24-2022, 05:28 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,777 Times in 3,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babubhat View Post
The amount you can buy is immaterial for many. Xyld and Qyld will earn 1percent a month as long as the market does not implode. Covered calls written on indexes

Qyld down almost 7% this year.

Xyld down 1.5%
Old 04-24-2022, 05:57 PM
Veteran member

For the short term 13 week T-Bills look to be the best option. What is the advantage going longer duration before the FED is done raising rates?
Old 04-24-2022, 09:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,049 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caymus View Post
For the short term 13 week T-Bills look to be the best option. What is the advantage going longer duration before the FED is done raising rates?
That is why right now we are in very conservative equity mutual funds.
Old 04-25-2022, 06:33 AM
Veteran member

Why not just buy real I-Bonds from US Treasury? No credit risk, and they are paying 7%. Individual - Series I Savings Bonds Rates & Terms: Calculating Interest Rates
Old 04-25-2022, 07:16 AM
Veteran member

"CDs which should never be purchased"

I disagree. It depends upon one's circumstances. Even with inflation, we have all the money we will ever need provided we just don't lose it. So, a few years ago when CD rates were much higher, I laddered out CD's for several years for 15-20% of my total portfolio just to have some money I didn't have to think about or worry about. The yields I booked were pretty much in line with A-AAA bonds, so why not?
Old 04-25-2022, 07:05 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Never mind

Last edited by Boomer; 04-25-2022 at 09:25 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
risk, maturity, price, interest, bond

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.