The Market Today 5/6

Closed Thread
Old 05-07-2010, 10:58 AM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW
Default NASDAC cancellations

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJoe View Post
How the heck can they cancel trades? What about the guy who bought low, sold high and reinvested in another stock, all before the announced the canceled trades? Or the guy who sold stock as the fall started, bought at the bottom and recovered his loss? Or just the guys who saw the fall, and sold all his stock at a loss thinking the sky was falling? Are they gonna bail out all of those investors? There are many more examples.. who is going to trust the stock market from now on if they can just cancel trades they dont think were fair? WOW.
JimJoe

Here are two URLs which might be of interest:
The first is a list of Stock trades that were cancelled
http://media.globenewswire.com/cache/6948/file/8211.htm

The second is a statement which outlines the rules which NADDAQ abided by to make the cancellations
http://nasdaq.cchwallstreet.com/NASD...q-equityrules/

P and G, or Proctor and God as we Cincinnatians fondly refer to it as has been down before and it has come back. Not to the 159 level which caused it to split, but up from the 29 level to which it once dipped. Sally
Old 05-08-2010, 10:31 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts
Default We have all heard of story stocks, but.....

This is the stuff of which bestsellers are made. -- or at least movies starring Michael Douglas.

Yeah. I know. I am at risk of sounding like an English major, but I have to wonder... if this thing were fiction (we wish) would the writer come under criticism for using a company like Procter and Gamble as the extreme hill-hopper?

In fiction, would it be considered way too much of a cliche to use a stock that many consider to be the icon of boredom?

PG can sure stay relatively flat for really long periods of time. And the dividend is never into a big percentage return. (Huge percentage dividends are not usually a good thing anyway.) But PG's dividend has a proud history of increasing annually for more than 50 years and has been paid since the company started. Last month the increase for this year was announced - a 9.5% increase. (Hold on! Do not read this too fast and get all excited. That was the percentage of increase of the dividend, not the percent yield.) The split history is long and consistent. Splits, of course, do not mean instant returns. It seems like the highest it ever went before a split was somewhere just shy of 120....not sure though.

And Salybow is right. A lot of Cincinnatians love their P&G stock. In fact, there are those who cling to it for decade after decade, often in the face of standard financial planning advice that always warns about eggs and baskets. There are Cincinnatians who marry their P&G stock to have and to hold ever after. (Happily ever after? - Time will always tell.)

Boring though the stock can be considered to be...most of the time...there was another drastic drop -- huge--and that one was for real. It was during the reign of Durk Jager, an unpopular CEO who left in 2000 -- I think that was the year. Jager was the one on duty when the stock took a particularly drastic hit. I was told by a Cincinnati broker that when that one happened, their Cincinnati phones were ringing like crazy from Cincinnatians who were saying, "Buy more PG!"

Durk Jager was followed by A. G.Lafley who just retired. Now there is a new guy. I heard the new guy speak at the stockholders' meeting last fall. He comes from inside which I happen to like in a CEO -- but who really knows what the new guy will be like.

Disclosure: I obviously own a a little bit of P&G. (I think it might be the law in Cincinnati.) But please keep in mind that I am certainly not in a position, professional or otherwise, to go around recommending certain stocks.

If Warren Buffett ever gets fat fingers, we might be in serious trouble. He holds a chunk of P&G. He sells some once in a while to buy something else, like a railroad I guess. I have to wonder if P&G is Warren Buffett's money-market account.

I realize that I am digressing this morning. And please keep in mind that this is only babble. I do not know anything. But I have a little fascination with what just happened in the market and I guess I am fretting it out here. I wonder if we will ever know what really happened. It is the stuff of fiction -- but so sadly and eerily true.

I have been left though with knowing that I will hang on to my own philosophy of trading stocks. Remember that old ad for the phone company yellow pages, "Let your fingers do the walking." Well, my own fingers will continue to be the only ones doing the walking when I trade online. And walk they will...oh sooooooo slowly.

Boomer the Turtle -- the kind of turtle that is indigenous to Cincinnati

PS: Oh, and btw, about that spin we're in, here's a link to a short commentary that played on NPR yesterday.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=126615124

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 05-08-2010 at 11:37 AM.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:32 PM
Gold member

Oh you rich people are sooooooooooo funny.

Xavier
Tony, not screaming and never was! (no caps, no color, or no readable text from me - I've seen the light)
Old 05-08-2010, 01:00 PM
Administrator

Old 05-08-2010, 01:59 PM
Soaring Parsley

A comment here from Xavier both surprises, and I must admit...bothers me a little. And, yes, I am assuming it was aimed at me. I am the one writing on and on in this thread.

If the stuff I have been writing here has appeared to anyone like I am smarming around trying to act like I am some rich _ _ _ _ _, then I must not know how to converse, in writing anyway, about issues of the market. Please let me say that when I write this stuff, I am not, in any way, trying to give the the impression that I am "rich." Geez. And I truly do feel bad that anybody is taking it that way.

I am interested in the ways of the market and also the ways of real estate. I have been educating myself on those topics for years. Won a few. Lost a few. But so not rich. Just an interest. Not my career. My career did not pay well at all, but I loved it.

Anyway, I hope anybody reading my stuff will understand that there is no agenda in it of trying to act like I am rich. I am a little sad that I have given such an impression to some it seems.

But, bottom line, I am not aggravated because I am not rich -- that part is OK. I am really aggravated that I am not a better writer and was being read like I had some kind of smarmy, fakey, tacky, tedious agenda in what I was saying.

Boomer in a Bit of a Snit

Last edited by Boomer; 05-08-2010 at 02:05 PM.
Old 05-08-2010, 03:30 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Boomer, keep at it. Your posts are always insightful and worth reading. Some folks just love to read and take pot shots at everyone. Consider the source and keep up the great posts. I to have been the target of the same person for reasons I could not begin to fathom. So I did the next best thing and ignored. I now just skip any post I see by that person as I can't be bothered.
Old 05-08-2010, 04:06 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
A comment here from Xavier both surprises, and I must admit...bothers me a little. And, yes, I am assuming it was aimed at me. I am the one writing on and on in this thread.

If the stuff I have been writing here has appeared to anyone like I am smarming around trying to act like I am some rich _ _ _ _ _, then I must not know how to converse, in writing anyway, about issues of the market. Please let me say that when I write this stuff, I am not, in any way, trying to give the the impression that I am "rich." Geez. And I truly do feel bad that anybody is taking it that way.

I am interested in the ways of the market and also the ways of real estate. I have been educating myself on those topics for years. Won a few. Lost a few. But so not rich. Just an interest. Not my career. My career did not pay well at all, but I loved it.

Anyway, I hope anybody reading my stuff will understand that there is no agenda in it of trying to act like I am rich. I am a little sad that I have given such an impression to some it seems.

But, bottom line, I am not aggravated because I am not rich -- that part is OK. I am really aggravated that I am not a better writer and was being read like I had some kind of smarmy, fakey, tacky, tedious agenda in what I was saying.

Boomer in a Bit of a Snit
Now I'm feeling poorly. I am fond of you and your posts no matter the topic. I made my little attempt at humor as the subject was being taken so seriously. A light moment that backfired. I meant no harm. Sorry.

X
Old 05-08-2010, 04:56 PM
Soaring Parsley

Thank you, X. It is so hard sometimes to be understood in just print I know. All is forgiven.

And thank you, I2ridehd, for your kind words.

- - -

I love stories and I love to talk about stocks and this week's news sure combined the two -- and it was a stock that I actually happen to know a few stories about.

I am glad peace is restored here. I must confess that I had almost reached the point of.....yes.....I must confess....I was reaching the point of planning to ask about any favorite utilities stocks......oh I am such a snoozeroonie sometimes.

- - - - -

l2ridehd, (and thanks again) -- now that we are here in the same room (so to speak) I really have to ask you a question. You have been around here for a long time, too, and I always read your posts. Someday, I am going to have to get into one of those real estate discussions. I like real estate discussions. But my question is about your screen name. Does your screen name mean "I, too, ride Harley-Davidson"? I realize that this seems like a silly question, but I am almost, though not quite sure I am reading your name right. It's the first part I am not sure about. A little part of me thinks it might be a 'twelve.' -- you know, like riding a Harley along with eleven other people riding theirs. Sometimes the obvious can escape me and I end up asking silly questions. Either way for the reading of your name - it is a beautiful bike indeed.

Anyway, I know I am jumping the track again, but actually I could tell the stock story about owning HDI before it was HOG. I bought Mr. Boomer 50 shares for his 50th birthday and I wrote a little poem to go with it. Made a bunch of promises about how when that stock reached high enough, he could buy the bike. The 50 split and went up again. Ended up selling it at a good time. It never reached the bike price, of course, but the sell covered the cost of getting his instrument rating. (I think I told that story one other time here - Geez. Been around a while.) -- (Now, see, X, if I were rich, I would have bought not only the bike, but also the airplane to go with the instrument rating, not just a few shares of stock as seed money.) -- I am winking at X here, but I cannot find the winking emoticon to use.

Stories about stocks....geez. Or was it a story about buying a birthday present for Mr. Boomer that was a whole lot cheaper and a whole lot easier to wrap than one of those exquisite machines that make the most beautiful sound on the road.

Anyway, thanks, you two. It is not often that I get into a snit. And while I was in my snit, I went over to Word and wrote a really snitty post about that awful show "Sunset Daze" but I did not post it. I might though. (It is a cold day here in Cincy. And I planned to work in the yard, today .But it is cold and windy out there and I keep walking by this infernal machine and getting sidetracked.)

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 05-08-2010 at 11:01 PM. Reason: a little clarification upon a late proofreading
Old 05-08-2010, 05:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default All's well that ends well.

Last edited by graciegirl; 05-09-2010 at 11:23 AM.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:05 PM
Sage

Yikes, some minor sniping in three threads tonight. Nothing like political, mind you. Just little scrapes and bruises. But still...

What's going on? There's not even a full moon.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I thought the same thing P. I know I am grumpy.

I am away from my laughing place.

(Brer Bear. Song of the South)
Old 05-09-2010, 06:26 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

You are almost correct boomer. It is "love to ride Harley Davidsons" I have a 97 dyna glide low rider and never get to ride it as much as I would like. It is so much fun to ride the open road, wind in your face, and the rumble of the pipes in your ears. Makes you forget all about the stock market, the real estate market, and any other cares you may have. I will bring it to Florida when we move there (full time or snowbird time) still working that little detail out. But I would enjoy talking to you about stocks and real estate any time. Someday maybe we will meet up someplace in TV.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:02 AM
Soaring Parsley

l2ridehd,

Thank you. I could see that it was a lowercase 'l' but for some reason I was trying to make it work like an 'I' or the number '1' and so I was completely missing that part.

I have not looked at the Harley stock price for a long time. We got rid of it in 2006. It was fun while it lasted, but I think the stock really took a hit not long after that, even before the big hit everything took at the same time. But still....there is nothing like the bike itself.

Re. real estate, if I ever start talking about that on TOTV, I might never shut up and there would be no members left awake. But, for me, in my real life, it sure is fun to talk about.

I am not technical about it, but the human behavior factor in the real estate market is the part that fascinates me.

Anyway, thanks for clearing up that fog I was in about your screen name. I am glad I asked because I never would have figured it out. Obvious things really do escape me sometimes.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 05-09-2010 at 09:32 AM.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.