Million Dollar Question (asking for a friend)

Closed Thread
Old 09-20-2021, 06:40 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHeronFan View Post
Gold
Inflation hedge and inflation is in full swing.
Has there been inflation since 2010?

Had you bought $4000 gold then, your returns would be....-7%.

Had you spent $4000 on bitcoins, you would be a billionaire.
Old 09-20-2021, 06:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,747 Times in 5,255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRick614 View Post
I have always felt better when I donated to wounded warriors or Tunnel to towers. Helping our hero’s is a great option.
I bothers me that the Wounded Warriors Project has 16 employees who each make between $160K and $313K per year. That is more than almost every military officer.
Old 09-20-2021, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malsua View Post
I'm not talking about day trading crypto, that's a recipe to get wrecked. Dollar cost averaging into Bitcoin and Ethereum is about as much of a guarantee of a winner as you're going to get. Some of the alt coins are solid too, like Cardano, Tezos and Dot.

We're talking buy and hold sell whenever you're inclined to.
Guaranteed winner??
Some would respectfully disagree..
Warren Buffett: Why You Should NEVER Buy Crypto - YouTube
Old 09-20-2021, 07:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,916 Times in 919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
FYI, here is a link to the Vanguard Investments Utility ETF offering. The current yield is 2.88 percent, but the risk level is rated as 5 out of 5.

Vanguard ETF Profile | Vanguard
The risk level is based upon volatility ranking, which is the co-variance with the market. It is not a fundamental analysis of the industry. If the market index is based upon technology stocks, utilities are the old school, steady but lower growth, and definitely not sexy nor high risk as far as guaranteed rates of return. But ask yourself, what is the world of tech based upon? electrical communication. . . . and what is the latest political populist agenda? green energy. . What's the hardest industry to analyze because its regulated with a completely different basis of competition? utilities. . . I work in one, and see all the commercial finance people come from GE, high tech, etc, and just have a very difficult time re-orienting themselves to the industry, because of its uniqueness of a regulated monopoly.

The offset is that the dividends are tax free, and the industry is guaranteed a return on assets, which will increase with the capex of upgrading the grid for electrification. Its a long term play, for sure. And utilities are not sexy. . there are other reasons which analysts may give more weight which are industry specific and transitory. . there is an interest rate risk which is the overriding risk, as the stock with a stable growth and high dividend rate, has a large influence on interest rates. . . similar to bonds, but it has the ability to grow revenue versus a bond. . .

Vanguard definition of their risk rating:
Vanguard funds classified as aggressive are subject to extremely wide fluctuations in share prices. These funds may be appropriate for investors who have a long-term investment horizon (10 years or longer). The unusually high volatility associated with these funds may stem from a number of strategies.

This is not an industry analysis, this is a mathematical analysis as its a difficult industry to understand versus commercial companies. Which is why I recommended it for the reasons above, its the going forward basis of investment with the government, and is becoming more important for all technology to exist. . . which a retired person should consider when not wanting risk but a nice return.

good luck, its an internet bulletin board with world wide participants, so you have to get through the to find a nugget of wisdom. . . this may be one, or may not be, only time will tell. Maybe this is the time for the millionaire to have a meeting with a CFP. . .

sportsguy
Old 09-20-2021, 07:02 AM

Perhaps today could be the beginning of the pullback some of us have been waiting for.
Old 09-20-2021, 07:04 AM

Lots of good ideas here and a pretty nice thread so far

Is there anything this guy wants or needs that money can solve? Because at some point, even if something isn't "worth it", if you have a pile of money and are old then sometimes it can become "worth it". Different house, upgrades on current house, fancy new car, boat, or other toys. Or maybe convenience....lawn service, house service, some gourmet meals prepared in his home a few times per week, weekly in home massage. Or travel, just buy first class tickets and make the trip fun and easy. Maybe playing some iconic golf courses in the US or going to fancy car shows or whatever.

Then he could use something like Vanguard Personal Advisor Services or similar from Schwab or Fidelity. These are super low cost, wildly diversified investments that are going to do just fine and are easy. Like....really easy.

And then as some have mentioned, a few bucks in cryptocurrency and metals might be worth it too. You could put $50-100K in metal and crypto just for fun.

Kinda interested in this forestry option...what is that?

Joe
Old 09-20-2021, 07:05 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,070 Times in 535 Posts

Spend it. Buy that car you always wanted. Take a trip. You are presumably older, and you can't take it with you. Buy a second home in the mountains.
Old 09-20-2021, 07:05 AM

Does he have other assets? Does he need this money to survive? What are his risk/rewards attitudes? If he doesn't need the money, why not just leave it alone? Of course he's earning zero.nothing but he not paying much in taxes either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Believe it or not I am asking for a rather wealthy friend who happens to have $1M cash lying around earning him next to nothing and has no ideas on how to invest it. He and I have known each other since junior high and we brainstorm on various matters from time to time. I told him I had no idea and was sitting on a lot of cash myself (not anything like $1M).

Anyway I thought it might generate some creative thinking as I am out of ideas. Stocks and real estate seem at present extremely overvalued to me. Anybody have any possibilities they would care to share?
Old 09-20-2021, 07:08 AM

You could donate 50K to me, a struggling homeowner
Old 09-20-2021, 07:14 AM
Gold member

He can put some of it into a quality Annuity and get a decent guarantee return of 6-7%
Old 09-20-2021, 07:17 AM
Veteran member

GOLD GOLD GOLD 'nuff said.
Old 09-20-2021, 07:19 AM

I invest my excess cash in REITS...look for like ABR etc there are many very good ones that pay over 5 %
Study the past performance of the individual REIT many have done extremely well over the years
Old 09-20-2021, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNLAKEPANDA View Post
He can put some of it into a quality Annuity and get a decent guarantee return of 6-7%
NO way in hell.
Old 09-20-2021, 07:28 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
Guaranteed winner??
Some would respectfully disagree..
Warren Buffett: Why You Should NEVER Buy Crypto - YouTube
I didn't say guaranteed winner, I said as much of one as you're going to get.

Warren buffet will tell you to put 90% in an index fund, 10% in a money market and forget about it. I agree with that too. If you recall, up thread, had you read my earlier post, I suggested 1%. $10,000. Chances are better than even that $10,000 in Crypto today will be triple that by next year. It could go to zero too though, which is why I would never suggest anyone put more than 1% of their net worth in Crypto. Only what you are willing to lose, utterly. If you have a million in cash laying around, a 10k loss won't cripple you.

If you want something 100% safe, get a pile of gold and scrooge McDuck it. Be careful though...Peter tried that: Family Guy - Dive Into Gold Coins [HD] - YouTube
Old 09-20-2021, 07:35 AM

I’m doing an 8 week class at my house titled “Moving from success to significance in your retirement years“.
All the possessions and money we have were given to us by God and he has a purpose for them and for each of us. Come to this class and find out how to use your knowledge from school, the skills you have developed by working over the years and your God-given talents for some thing that will be significant enough to outlast your life. message me for more information, the class will change your life! It’s free.
Closed Thread

Tags
ideas, cash, $1m, time, friend

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.