Morgan Stanley predicts housing prices may fall by 5% by end of 2024

Closed Thread
Old 10-20-2023, 06:36 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,323 Times in 597 Posts
Default Morgan Stanley predicts housing prices may fall by 5% by end of 2024

If you think Morgan Stanley is correct, and you are thinking about buying a house next year, do you still buy or hold off?

Morgan Stanley predicts house prices could fall 5% by the end of 2024 if mortgage rates stay at record highs | Daily Mail Online
Old 10-20-2023, 07:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,021 Times in 1,747 Posts

Yeah! I hope our assessment and property taxes will reflect it!
Old 10-21-2023, 05:10 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

One can always hold off, then again, depending on your health, genes, or just bad luck. Buying yesterday may not be soon enough. This late in the game what’s 5%, compared to living in a place you want to retire in.
Old 10-21-2023, 05:33 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,778 Times in 3,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
If you think Morgan Stanley is correct, and you are thinking about buying a house next year, do you still buy or hold off?
Silly question.
1) If someone is going to retire, 5% has no impact. It's immaterial.
2) TV market value negative swing (if any) is less than "the market".

The report also states:
In the short term, we believe that the impact from renewed decreases in the supply of homes available for sale is going to have a greater impact on home prices than any decrease in demand,
Old 10-21-2023, 05:45 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,323 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
One can always hold off, then again, depending on your health, genes, or just bad luck. Buying yesterday may not be soon enough. This late in the game what’s 5%, compared to living in a place you want to retire in.
It may not have an impact on people wanting to sell and retire - but most people sell elsewhere and buy here. Will it impact the buyers up north? Will they hold off buying for a year because they expect housing prices to be 5% lower next year?
Old 10-21-2023, 06:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
It may not have an impact on people wanting to sell and retire - but most people sell elsewhere and buy here. Will it impact the buyers up north? Will they hold off buying for a year because they expect housing prices to be 5% lower next year?
Don’t really know, we have always bought first, then decide which to sell, at the right time, and location. Then again if 5% breaks the budget, retirement may take longer, or just sit in place until a percentage is better
Old 10-21-2023, 08:39 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

I think needing to pay around 8% interest on a 30 year mortgage has a greater effect on whether people can afford to buy a home than a 5% deviation in price, up or down.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 10-21-2023, 01:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
I think needing to pay around 8% interest on a 30 year mortgage has a greater effect on whether people can afford to buy a home than a 5% deviation in price, up or down.
So financial strategy anywhere a rate is above 4.5%, take out the largest mortgage institution will give you, putting minimum down.

After first mortgage payment applied, pay down mortgage by 20 to 70%. Amortization of payment next 30 days, interest is minimal.

Just remember if you need write off, speak with your finance guy, as too how much cash to pay down. So 8% is only ugly if one doesn’t have savings, or investments
Old 10-21-2023, 01:38 PM
Default Pay Cash

Rates are crazy high. 8.25% on a 30. I don’t get that from my other investments.

Fairfax VA
Stamford CT
Rye NH
Provincetown MA
Old 10-21-2023, 01:57 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
So financial strategy anywhere a rate is above 4.5%, take out the largest mortgage institution will give you, putting minimum down.

After first mortgage payment applied, pay down mortgage by 20 to 70%. Amortization of payment next 30 days, interest is minimal.

Just remember if you need write off, speak with your finance guy, as too how much cash to pay down. So 8% is only ugly if one doesn’t have savings, or investments
I was thinking about today's young to middle aged families, not people over 50 who have built a portfolio of financial assets over time. Most folks don't have much in the way of savings or investments when they are starting out in their twenties and thirties. I didn't. Every house I ever bought from 1967 through 1996 I leveraged to the hilt short of needing to pay PMI. The last one I bought in 2017 I took a 15 year 3-1/8% mortgage on, 50% down. I find it convenient not to pay it off as the lender escrows money from my payments and pays the taxes and insurance for me. My other houses are now free and clear. The $10K cap on the SALT deductions modified my strategy.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 10-21-2023 at 02:03 PM.
Old 10-22-2023, 04:13 AM

5 percent drop is a national average. Florida reacts at a much higher rate, up or down. I would hold off buying a house until next year.
Old 10-22-2023, 05:56 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
I was thinking about today's young to middle aged families, not people over 50 who have built a portfolio of financial assets over time. Most folks don't have much in the way of savings or investments when they are starting out in their twenties and thirties. I didn't. Every house I ever bought from 1967 through 1996 I leveraged to the hilt short of needing to pay PMI. The last one I bought in 2017 I took a 15 year 3-1/8% mortgage on, 50% down. I find it convenient not to pay it off as the lender escrows money from my payments and pays the taxes and insurance for me. My other houses are now free and clear. The $10K cap on the SALT deductions modified my strategy.
True, but Many in retirement age group in their youth had more than 8% mortgage with wages around $5.
Our grands working job’s during college, minimum wage for them has been $20 or more an hour. Don’t need insurance until 26, so saves a bundle.

The 4 of them rent our house and have a healthy savings for early 20s. Plan is to buy home in 2 years, unless they all end up in different med schools.

I would also hope those in their 30s living with parents are saving money for something, or maybe not
Old 10-22-2023, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Don't need everyone "up there" moving "down here" anyway.

If 5% holds them back that's ok by me.

The crazy drivers are back in T V. Had a nice hot summer of driving safely in T V.

Two times yesterday just about had two different women over 60 think they own the roads in T V. One in a very large gold caddy SUV honking and thinking flashing lights was going to get me to decide over 35 was what I should drive down Morse Blvd because she was special. No, it just made me take my sweet @$$ time even more!! The other a red sadan on Canal St going 50 in a 20 on a curve when I was half way in the road turning left. T-bone steak cooking up!
Had "up there" written all over her entitled rude self.

Do it... hit me.. my bond will get paid off. 5% means nothing to me.
Old 10-22-2023, 07:22 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,045 Times in 536 Posts
Default Hold off

Anyone wanting to purchase now would be a little desperate. Whether the market moves up or down, one thing for sure is it isn’t stable.

IMHO prices will move downward anyway, interest rates are a deciding factor nationally wherever you are trying to sell. If you think prices will go up, I’d like some of what you are smoking.

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning
Old 10-22-2023, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Yeah! I hope our assessment and property taxes will reflect it!
Property taxes don’t work that way. The taxing jurisdiction figures out how much money it needs to operate. IF everyone’s assessment were to drop, due to a drop in property values, the tax rate would be increased to the level needed. Assessment x Tax Rate (plus ad valorem amounts) = Your property taxes.
Closed Thread

Tags
morgan, stanley, buy, hold, thinking

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.