Mortgage Rates

Closed Thread
Old 06-15-2012, 08:29 AM
Veteran member
Default Mortgage Rates

Anyone know that the current mortgage rates are at Citizens First? I have called and they need up to 48 hours to tell me the rates. I visited their office this morning and they couldn't tell me what the rates are. They told me that I would have to be put on a list to find out what the rates are. Other banks have their rates on their web sites but not here.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:39 AM
Veteran member

Three days ago. 3.75 w/very good credit.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

can't give rates or won't
Old 06-15-2012, 07:35 PM

ooooh noooo, 3.75! We locked in at 4.0 last week. Bummer... I just have to tell myself if we didn't lock in, it would have gone up again. Oh well...
Old 06-15-2012, 08:34 PM
Sage

They want you to make an appointment with one of their loan officers, I'm pretty sure. That's what I heard the receptionist there at LSL office tell a home buyer when he came in and asked current rates (while our first mortgage was already in process). He was disgusted at such a simple request as just asking the current interest rate going unanswered, and I was thoroughly unimpressed too.

Needless to say, this seems quite backwards considering how most lenders put their daily rates on their website. It begs the question "what are you hiding?".

We started out with our mortgage with them, and recently, for a refinance they told me on the phone the rates at the time. We didn't go forward with them.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:08 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhood View Post
Anyone know that the current mortgage rates are at Citizens First? I have called and they need up to 48 hours to tell me the rates. I visited their office this morning and they couldn't tell me what the rates are. They told me that I would have to be put on a list to find out what the rates are. Other banks have their rates on their web sites but not here.
That's a first for me after being in real estate for 40 years. Such a simple thing to answer in this day and age of computers and instant quotes.

As Jack Benny used to say: Well..............I never! (or something like that)
In reality, they're different!
Old 06-18-2012, 08:05 PM

Just found out today from my bank rep at Citizens that the 3.75 is available, with points and within 30 days of closing, instead of 60...
Old 06-19-2012, 07:45 PM

Citizens First Mtg is typically a little higher in their rates compared to what the typical current market represents. They compete at a different level because most of their biz is driven by their RE sales people.

They are set-up to finance "new home" sales and re-finances are not their primary function. In fact that might be why they don't have good access to their rates. Most likely refinance loans are a low priority for them. Check with a couple local banks and or local mortgage brokers. These will be the most competitive in the community.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:06 PM
Veteran member

Receptionist by law can not quote rates thanks to the government. You have to talk to a licensed broker.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:15 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

I know this is an old thread now but does anybody know what they are at Citizens as of cob 7-27-12?? It seems simple enough to put the rates so they can be easy to get off the computer. 3.175 best rate around Illinois for a 30 year loan. I've heard the Citizens is "owned" by the Developer. Not a surprise that they might be higher since they are not "scratching" for customers.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:01 PM
Veteran member

I closed 7/20 at 3.85. With no buy
Old 08-13-2012, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDoug View Post
Receptionist by law can not quote rates thanks to the government. You have to talk to a licensed broker.
Not to disagree but the Truth in Lending law requires ready disclosure of the APR as opposed to the 'rate.' One can use only the APR in mortgage calcuations. I've not encountered a problem requesting the APRl from them.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:21 PM

I used BB&T for closing. I too found that when I went to Citizens they wanted 48 hours in advance for an appt to talk to a loan officer to maybe get the rate. They tell you they are competitive but when I did get a rate they were 0.25% HIGHER than most other banks. They also said they get 80% of the mortgages in The Villages and will close on time with no worries. BB&T was easy, competitive, you can lock for up to 60 days if rates are climbing, AND they closed ON TIME also with no worries! If you read your "agreement regarding mortgages and closing" with the design person, they scare you into thinking if you do not close on time there are many penalties so people just use them. It is no harder to use other banks for the closing. I went to BB&T's site and as of today it is 3.375% with 0.5 pts. This is a link you can check their rates. Might be a bit more with 0 points, but also watch the other "fees" what some banks bury in the closing costs.
https://app.bbt.com/qquote/qquoteSea...archResultsAtn
Old 08-14-2012, 11:04 AM
Gold member

I was quoted 3.75 (APR 3.778) last week. First thing the loan officer does is run your credit reports. The lower the score the higher the rate. Most banks will advertise their best rates but if you read the small print it will say subject to credit score or other factors so you may not get the advertised rate. I felt that Citizens was really up front with everything. You may be able to find a little lower rate but there is some advantage to dealing with a local bank.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.