Non-Traded REITs

Closed Thread
Old 08-26-2023, 05:40 AM
Default Non-traded REITs / Monte Carlo simulation

For a short time I was a financial advisor. DISCLAIMER - I no longer hold any certifications of any kind nor do I give any financial advice of any kind. However, I do share past experiences.
When I started in the advisor business, Monte Carlo simulation was getting a lot of attention. However, the firm I worked for did not use it because it was considered too “formula”. It did not take into consideration, the individual needs and desires of the client. We called it the lazy advisor tool. However, some firms did use it as a starting point when developing a distribution plan. Also, at that time non-traded REITs were becoming popular among advisors because of the high fees earned by selling these products. Non-traded RIETs and variable annuities are huge profit centers for many financial advisory companies.
Old 08-26-2023, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caymus View Post
I understand all that. The problem (as I see it) is that I have always lived too fugally and have done so for years. Doing my work years most of my income went into investments or taxes. I was hoping to find a mathematical model that tells me how much to spend based on my assets. Maybe I need a psychoanalyst instead.
Here's the mathematical model. Calculate the number of years until your death. Divide the amount of your assets exceeding living expenses by the number of years you calculated to death. Spend that much.

Sounds like you are going to have a problem accepting spending money in retirement. The alternative is to keep accumulating as you like to do and leave it to your heirs or give it to charity. My personal philosophy is to spend whatever I want to spend on any frivolous thing I can think of that gives me pleasure and enjoyment. When I've depleted the excess assets then I will no longer be able to spend. I'll either die before I've depleted the assets and what's left will go to my heirs, or I'll reach a point where there is nothing left to spend and the heirs will get nothing.
Old 08-26-2023, 05:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,742 Times in 5,255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonOfInterest View Post
Here's the mathematical model. Calculate the number of years until your death. Divide the amount of your assets exceeding living expenses by the number of years you calculated to death. Spend that much.

Sounds like you are going to have a problem accepting spending money in retirement. The alternative is to keep accumulating as you like to do and leave it to your heirs or give it to charity. My personal philosophy is to spend whatever I want to spend on any frivolous thing I can think of that gives me pleasure and enjoyment. When I've depleted the excess assets then I will no longer be able to spend. I'll either die before I've depleted the assets and what's left will go to my heirs, or I'll reach a point where there is nothing left to spend and the heirs will get nothing.
The problem is that a hardcore saver does not derive pleasure and enjoyment by spending money on frivolous things.
Old 08-26-2023, 06:15 AM
Default dividends

With the market weak I'm jepi pretty heavy they pay monthly dividends

If you like the JPMorgan Equity Premium Income ETF (NYSEARCA:JEPI) then you’re going to love its 11.9%-yielding counterpart, the JPMorgan Nasdaq Equity Premium Income ETF (NASDAQ:JEPQ).
Old 08-26-2023, 06:15 AM

Quote:
So, I am currently interviewing advisors. In my case, I am trying a find a fee-based advisor who can help me determine how much money I should be "paying" myself (before RMD's kick in). I have always lived below my means and am finding it difficult to open the spending floodgates during my first year of retirement.

The advisor I recently talked to has a relationship with my former company. They have a reasonable fee structure to develop a plan - Monte Carlo Simulation etc. One thing they suggested for income are Nontraded REITs. I read that they may not be easy to sell, and I assume they have high trading fees. Any opinions? I already have REIT funds inside my Roth IRA. They have done well until recently.
Totally IMHO, you can do the vast majority of this yourself. There must be 1,000 Monte Carlo Simulations online, just google it. Some are very simple some can get very in depth, but all are very easy to navigate. Regarding non traded Reits, my first question to your guy would be why? what's the advantage?? I presume its in his advantage to sell them but how does this benefit you?
Old 08-26-2023, 06:18 AM
Default Run - Don't Walk!

Quote:
So, I am currently interviewing advisors. In my case, I am trying a find a fee-based advisor who can help me determine how much money I should be "paying" myself (before RMD's kick in). I have always lived below my means and am finding it difficult to open the spending floodgates during my first year of retirement.

The advisor I recently talked to has a relationship with my former company. They have a reasonable fee structure to develop a plan - Monte Carlo Simulation etc. One thing they suggested for income are Nontraded REITs. I read that they may not be easy to sell, and I assume they have high trading fees. Any opinions? I already have REIT funds inside my Roth IRA. They have done well until recently.

Had a terrible experience with a REIT in the '90s. Lost about 75% of my investment when the dust Finally settled. I think Commercial real estate would be Especially dicey these days.
Old 08-26-2023, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidWestIA View Post
With the market weak I'm jepi pretty heavy they pay monthly dividends

If you like the JPMorgan Equity Premium Income ETF (NYSEARCA:JEPI) then you’re going to love its 11.9%-yielding counterpart, the JPMorgan Nasdaq Equity Premium Income ETF (NASDAQ:JEPQ).
Hmm you sure of those numbers? why would a fund pay 11.9% when the average dividend on a Nasdaq stock is probably less than 1%? Something is not adding up.
Old 08-26-2023, 06:25 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
The problem is that a hardcore saver does not derive pleasure and enjoyment by spending money on frivolous things.
I have read some articles that addresses that. In my case, I grew up in poverty and am currently spending much more money than I ever thought I would.

Maybe I would have different thought patterns if I grew up in the suburbs with a country club membership.
Old 08-26-2023, 06:25 AM

I use The Mather Group for the last five years and I’ve been very happy with that. They charge a flat fee percent based on your total funds.
Old 08-26-2023, 07:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,052 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbb View Post
Hmm you sure of those numbers? why would a fund pay 11.9% when the average dividend on a Nasdaq stock is probably less than 1%? Something is not adding up.
Risky stocks in their portfolio. Run
Old 08-26-2023, 07:21 AM
Default Non- traded REITs

Quote:

My advisor in Kansas City only recommends one non-traded REIT, does not recommend annuities and their fees are less than 1%. They also provide quarterly meetings either in person or via Zoom. I have been happy with them over the last 6 years. All investment plans are based on your goals and risk tolerance.

Message me and I can forward their contact info.
Old 08-26-2023, 07:23 AM

One thing they suggested for income are Nontraded REITs. I read that they may not be easy to sell, and I assume they have high trading fees. Any opinions?

No opinion on your REIT question. We more recently consolidated our accounts and went with Vanguard after interviewing T Rowe, Schwab and Fidelity. Stocks/Bonds and reinvest dividends. My losses are
minimal compared to what I was invested in during this spend happy administration. I’m a little tight myself thinking of the save for a rainy day is a good thing.
Old 08-26-2023, 08:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,742 Times in 5,255 Posts

If an advisor recommends an REIT, read the prospectus. Does the real estate they are investing in make sense? What are the proposed salaries of the REIT managers? Do they have a successful resume? Is there any incentive for the managers to make a profit on the real estate, or are they just collecting a salary even if the investors lose money?

Note that anyone can establish an REIT and write a prospectus that names them as the CEO with a huge salary. Then, they hire brokers to sell the shares, and lawyers, accountants, real estate professionals, etc. to buy the real estate and to manage it. As long as they sell enough shares, they can make a lot of money even if the REIT goes broke.
Old 08-26-2023, 09:09 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
If an advisor recommends an REIT, read the prospectus. Does the real estate they are investing in make sense? What are the proposed salaries of the REIT managers? Do they have a successful resume? Is there any incentive for the managers to make a profit on the real estate, or are they just collecting a salary even if the investors lose money?

Note that anyone can establish an REIT and write a prospectus that names them as the CEO with a huge salary. Then, they hire brokers to sell the shares, and lawyers, accountants, real estate professionals, etc. to buy the real estate and to manage it. As long as they sell enough shares, they can make a lot of money even if the REIT goes broke.
I don't see myself buying one. I already own two REIT funds in my Roth IRA. If I were to buy a single REIT at this time it would be VICI Properties.

I am not going to use this advisor. I have a few more plus a CPA to interview next week. Being retired, I have plenty of time to investigate.
Old 08-26-2023, 09:45 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
I understand all that. The problem (as I see it) is that I have always lived too fugally and have done so for years. Doing my work years most of my income went into investments or taxes. I was hoping to find a mathematical model that tells me how much to spend based on my assets. Maybe I need a psychoanalyst instead.
In the immortal words of Max Bialystok, “When you got it, flaunt it!”
Closed Thread

Tags
advisor, reits, recently, thing, suggested

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.