Outside US investing....

Closed Thread
Old 05-19-2023, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecuadog View Post
It's not the size of the country that matters, but the stability of the issuing entity, e.g bank or credit union, that matters.

I am not talking about countries that peg/fix their local currency to the US dollar. I am talking about countries that have adopted the US dollar as their official currency.

The OP inquired about investing in CDs in foreign countries. I don't invest overseas because I like to keep life simple. However, I have looked into it, specifically in Ecuador, where the official currency is the US dollar.

In January of this year, Banco Diners Club of Ecuador was issuing 1-year CDs that returned 7.20%, in US dollars. It's probably higher now. I imagine that the hoops that one has to jump through in order to qualify are complicated. I wonder about Puerto Rico or the Virgin Islands.
Cant find a yield for Diners Club without giving my personal information. Does Ecuador do any backing of bank CDs or Investment Certificates? I didnt see anything on their website about this.
Old 05-19-2023, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecuadog View Post
It's not the size of the country that matters, but the stability of the issuing entity, e.g bank or credit union, that matters.

I am not talking about countries that peg/fix their local currency to the US dollar. I am talking about countries that have adopted the US dollar as their official currency.

The OP inquired about investing in CDs in foreign countries. I don't invest overseas because I like to keep life simple. However, I have looked into it, specifically in Ecuador, where the official currency is the US dollar.

In January of this year, Banco Diners Club of Ecuador was issuing 1-year CDs that returned 7.20%, in US dollars. It's probably higher now. I imagine that the hoops that one has to jump through in order to qualify are complicated. I wonder about Puerto Rico or the Virgin Islands.
Cant find a yield for Diners Club without giving my personal information. I assume it could be 8 percent. Does Ecuador do any backing of bank CDs or Investment Certificates? I didnt see anything on their website about this. Someone else said its the bank's rating to look for and they do have an AAA rating but the country credit rating is B-. I guess i dont know how to access the risk.
Old 05-19-2023, 01:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,278 Times in 4,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
My family has owned Israel bonds since the 1950's when they first became available. I had five in my name as a gift from my grandmother when I was born. I cashed them in somewhere around 2010.
I bought a small forest in Israel...

-Tom Petty
Old 05-19-2023, 01:56 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,023 Times in 455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigi3000 View Post
Cant find a yield for Diners Club without giving my personal information. I assume it could be 8 percent. Does Ecuador do any backing of bank CDs or Investment Certificates? I didnt see anything on their website about this. Someone else said its the bank's rating to look for and they do have an AAA rating but the country credit rating is B-. I guess i dont know how to access the risk.
Ecuador's Deposit Insurance Corporation (CFN) insures only up to $32,000 per person, per institution.

Right now, the country is in turmoil. The president has dissolved the congress and forced a new general election.
Old 05-21-2023, 11:01 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

This is about the Japanese market. Subscribe to read | Financial Times

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Closed Thread

Tags
funds, mutual, include, countries, foreign

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.