Is it possible to live on SS only in TV?

Closed Thread
Old 08-19-2013, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyR View Post
Both my husband and I recently lost our pensions and are sick with worry. We can buy a house in the villages (a small patio villa perhaps) free and clear, but will only have social security to live on. We have to leave the cold north. I am having a nervous breakdown about this. Does anyone there live on just social security? Is it possible and if not, any suggestions for us? Thanks.
There are also other options to think about. I lost my job due to NAFTA because manufacturing companies cannot compete with third world countries in labor costs. So when NAFTA passed the jobs and companies started leaving the USA just like Ross Perot said they would when he ran for president. Anyways that was a little over 2 years ago. I was on unemployment for 18 months and decided to just retire and move to Florida (as I was 62 when compnay moved out of the country.
I love the Villages but things were just too expensive for us there. We bought a beautiful home in The Plantation just south of Leesburg for the very low 100's which would sell in the Villages for probably 160 -170K. My monthly expenses are $85 amenity fee, $75 water and sewer, $80 electric, $60 insurance, $100 for taxes which includes garbage pickup twice a week and recycle pickup once a week, cable TV with internet thru Comcast $70 for first year. So that totals up to $470 a month expenses. I mow my own yard and do my own pest control which is very easy. You can purchase the same thing the companies use on the internet. Had a few cockroaches around when we first moved in but haven't seen any bugs in months. Anyway, hope this helps a little. I was worried too about retiring without planning on it but do fine. We are living on my SS and a small pension, my wife will be able to draw half mine in a couple years which will help... There are about 2600 homes here, truly gated community, 3 recreation centers, 3 pools, tennis, pickleball, golf, bocce ball and about everything else. Can't go shopping in your golf cart though. LOL My Toyota Prius gets 54 mpg so maybe better than a golf cart. Also the Villages is maybe a 15 to 20 minute ride over to enjoy the restaurants, free entertainment, etc, which we do every week. Thanks Villages for a great place and I'm sure a great place to live!!
Old 08-20-2013, 05:43 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by casita37 View Post
Something else to consider is the possibility of one of you dying well in advance of the other . Then you're down to one SS check, but your expenses won't be cut in half.

Oops...didn't see the other posts with SS info, but it's still an important consideration.
Incorrect. The surviving spouse continues to draw the larger of the SS payments.
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 08-20-2013, 09:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default and how could I forget to give my monthly advice....

If you buy in Lake County there is NO Bond, which will save you around $25,000.....If you are looking for a villa, consider one with a tile roof, another replacement expense you won't have to consider down the road....IMHO
Old 08-20-2013, 09:25 AM
Gold member
Default all good advice

I agree that if money is REALLY tight, there might be cheaper places to live that are quite nice. You did not mention whether or not you golf. I think the free (ok, included in amenity fee) golf is a big plus in the Villages, but only if you actually use it. I for one would not golf as often if I had to pay an extra fee for it, whether yearly, or each time I played. It adds a lot of quality to your life though, if you are an avid golfer.

We never thought we'd be able to afford 2 places (condo in Ohio and villa in TV), but we found living in Florida to be much cheaper than we anticipated - I think it's all the free stuff to do at rec centers. We are quite content to stay home and cook out and watch TV or entertain at home most evenings when in Florida, as we are tired from being out and about all day in TV.

Also figure in how much you will save in car expenses - that's one of our biggest savings when in TV. We fill up the tank only once or twice monthly, while it's once or twice weekly when in Ohio - and we bike and walk a lot (more than in TV) to stuff.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.