Question(s) About Mutual Funds Bought Through Advisors

Old 03-08-2024, 05:47 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts
Default Question(s) About Mutual Funds Bought Through Advisors

I have never bought a mutual fund through an advisor. (I buy them but without an advisor in the middle.)

I know that financial advisors often get paid a 1% annual fee of assets under management, which may vary to a lesser percentage on AUM over a certain amount. This part of advisory fees is clear to me…..

But here’s my question: On top of that fee for AUM, do financial advisors also get paid by the mutual funds they sell? Loads seem obvious to me, but what about those other costs and fees that show up inside mutual funds? Does the advisor get a piece of that action, too?

(I tried to learn about this on the FINRA site which has a section that is supposed to help, but I did not get very far.)

If the advisor is being paid by the funds in addition to being paid by the client, should the advisor report that amount to the client to give a clearer picture of the client’s cost of doing business?

I hope someone knowledgeable here will take pity on me and give me the Cliffs Notes answer to my confusion on this. (So far, no advisor for me, but I am thinking, “What if?”)

In other words, in the world of financial advisors, is there icing on that cake that is the fee quoted for AUM? And, if so, where is it in the mutual funds and/or ETFs?

Boomer
Old 03-08-2024, 06:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,738 Times in 5,252 Posts

I don't think you will ever get a definitive answer to your questions. But, I think the advisor should get most or all of the sales load, because they made the sale. They should not get any of the internal fund management costs because they are not involved in the ongoing management of the assets within the fund. Should the advisor disclose this information to the client? No. The load is disclosed in the fund prospectus, and it should be obvious that it is a sales commission for whoever sells the fund. The advisor should make a general disclosure to the client that they do recommend some commission based products. I only buy no load funds and do not pay any AUM fees.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 03-08-2024 at 06:22 PM.
Old 03-08-2024, 06:40 PM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I don't think you will ever get a definitive answer to your questions. But, I think the advisor should get most or all of the sales load, because they made the sale. They should not get any of the internal fund management costs because they are not involved in the ongoing management of the assets within the fund. Should the advisor disclose this information to the client? No. The load is disclosed in the fund prospectus, and it should be obvious that it is a sales commission for whoever sells the fund. The advisor should make a general disclosure to the client that they do recommend some commission based products. I only buy no load funds and do not pay any AUM fees.

I don’t pay loads or AUM fees either, retiredguy123. Also have a few individual dividend stocks that I tend to marry.

Thanks for your answer.

My next question is how could there possibly be an advantage to the investor in a load fund? I was looking at one that shows a 4.5% load. Well…….that’s sure a load.

With so many no-load funds available, is there ever a good reason for an investor to pay a load or do they just get slid into a portfolio because sometimes people don’t read the prospectus? What am I missing on this one?

Boomer
Old 03-08-2024, 07:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,050 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
I don’t pay loads or AUM fees either, retiredguy123. Also have a few individual dividend stocks that I tend to marry.

Thanks for your answer.

My next question is how could there possibly be an advantage to the investor in a load fund? I was looking at one that shows a 4.5% load. Well…….that’s sure a load.

With so many no-load funds available, is there ever a good reason for an investor to pay a load or do they just get slid into a portfolio because sometimes people don’t read the prospectus? What am I missing on this one?

Boomer
The only reason to ever consider a load fund is if the results are so great that results are still awesome after subtracting for the load. To me not about to pay a sales charge or load.

Years ago there were lots of load fund but they seem to be going away.
Old 03-08-2024, 07:20 PM

If you buy a managed mutual fund, as opposed to a passive index fund, you are paying a percentage management fee to the mutual fund company. On top of that you are paying your advisor fees to manage your money. This does not make sense to me. We buy mutual funds ourselves and pay only the mutual fund fees.
Old 03-08-2024, 07:34 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Boomer, you probably already found and read this.

"Brokers are paid commissions based on the products they sell and are oftentimes incentivized to sell certain products over others. When you purchase a mutual fund with a sales load, part of that additional expense is used by the mutual fund company to pay a commission to the advisor. Additionally, most mutual funds charge a 12b-1 fee as part of their expense ratio collected each year. Part of that fee goes toward paying the broker a trailer commission, so long as the client remains invested in the fund.

In contrast, if your financial advisor is a fee-only, fiduciary advisor, then they do not receive commissions or compensation from outside parties."

Are Financial Advisors Paid by Mutual Funds?.

I still manage my investment portfolio and frankly enjoy it, but dread the day I have to pay an advisor to do so. Probably I will use a fee based one who will direct my trustee. This is the outfit specified in my RLT at this point in time. I am not recommending them. They can manage my commercial property in New Mexico, at least until after my death at which point it can be sold without paying enormous LTCG taxes on it. Much more sophisticated outfits are available in coastal metropolitan areas but this one suits my needs.

https://ziatrust.com

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 03-08-2024 at 07:49 PM.
Old 03-09-2024, 09:59 AM
Soaring Parsley

Thank you to all for answering my questions. Here’s the backstory: A friend showed me a list of the top holdings in her account managed by an advisor. (Not amounts, only fund names — I never discuss amounts.).

Anyway, I could see the type of funds they were — which had been chosen according to her risk tolerance. But I was trying to dissect each one to see the fees associated, but most were not easy to find out much about. I guess because they are probably institutional funds used by the really big money management houses and are possibly proprietary — or whatever it’s called when the fund can be bought only through an advisor.

I found one with a big front load and two with expenses of 1.18% which seemed way too high to me. I tried to use the FINRA evaluator but it did not give a lot of info. I did not get through the whole list.

I am not concerned that she is in the hands of a Bernie Madoff. That’s not it. It’s a big, legit, old advisory firm with a very high profile, and stockholders — which we all know come before the client. If she wants to do business with them, that is not my business, but …….it is just that I have an aversion to the wheels within wheels that can exist when you turn your money over to some advisors.

She does not ask questions. She just wants somebody to handle investments for her and that’s OK, but I wish she would ask more questions, other than what’s the return?

The fee paid for AUM I guess comes out quarterly. Not only do they make money when you do, they make money whether you do or not. They aren’t taking that fee out of only your return. It comes out of your total assets. I always suspect that some advisors get you in the door and then put you on auto-pilot and start collecting.

Of course, I know advisors are not doing charity work. They should get paid. But is the difference in fee-only and fee-based that with fee-based, an advisor can have it both ways — the fee from you and the back door stuff from funds they put you in? I know about the prospectus, but they are not the most inviting thing to wade through, so I bet most people don’t……

I think advisors should directly report what their TOTAL return is on having you as a client. As far as that fiduciary thing goes, it seems like it comes with a lot of subjectivity because funds can easily be chosen by an advisor according to your risk tolerance……..

But does being a fiduciary mean that the advisor does not have to consider the associated costs of the fund? (A low risk fund with a bigger fee is still a low risk fund. Right? So it looks to me like there you have it — fiduciary responsibility — subjectively.)

Oh, well………

Meanwhile, I will continue to manage the Boomer Fund. Maybe I would have done a lot better with an advisor. But I am wired to want to do it myself, mistakes and all. I understand everything I buy, but that does not mean I have never lost money. Been at it for over 30 years, but I keep things very simple and clear and that is what I would want from an advisor — if ever.

Like what manaboutown said, I can’t help but think about what if I need to turn it all over to an advisor. There comes a point in life where we do start thinking about the “What Ifs?”………

Boomer

PS: manaboutown shared a link to Investopedia. For those of you who have questions about investing topics or need to look up vocabulary used in the business, I highly recommend Investopedia. It is my go-to. Thanks.

Last edited by Boomer; 03-09-2024 at 11:03 AM.
Old 03-09-2024, 01:16 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Boomer, good to hear you were "asking for a friend". It did not seem to be a predicament I would expect you to find yourself in.

Over the course of my senior years some friends and relatives have mentioned to me they use "financial advisors" and I tend to cringe when I hear them tell me so. I have learned to ask no questions about whether their advisors were fee-only, fee-based or AUM since early on I received blank looks from them in response to such inquiries. Then they would start telling me how nice the advisors were and how well they had done for them, nothing quantitative of course. The husband of one widow I know had an advisor who essentially lost it all for them. I have no details but the husband eventually put a reverse mortgage on their home without his wife's knowledge before he passed on in order to buy a new Jaguar to keep up with their social set (he was a yacht salesman).

IMHO the financial world is a jungle, particularly dangerous for the uniformed. The sad thing is few people want to spend the time and make the effort to become sufficiently knowledgable about it to protect themselves from being fleeced, or even shorn a bit

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 03-09-2024, 01:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,738 Times in 5,252 Posts

Personally, I don't think an advisor should be required to report their income to a client. Other people who sell products and services don't disclose their income. The mutual fund prospectus discloses a lot of infomation about the cost of the fund, but most people don't read it. But, even if they did, what difference does it make how much of the cost goes to the advisor? The client still has to pay it.
Old 03-09-2024, 10:22 PM
Soaring Parsley

Hey, manaboutown, thank you for the compliment. It is definitely not me…..

Wanna hear something really cringeworthy? I looked in on a Bogleheads discussion about her advisory company. It is a big one and you cannot do your own thing with them like with Fidelity or Vanguard or Schwab. The Bogleheads were having a field day ripping them up and down.

I know exactly what you mean about how so many people think they cannot possibly be bothered or think they cannot understand what they need to know about their own money……

But a lot of that is because there is so much smoke and mirrors in presentations given by bad advisors who do not want to make it easy to understand. Bad advisors will either bore the livin’ snot outa clients or razzle-dazzle them with pretty pie charts and graphs or mystify them with financial lingo, all the while just hoping nobody will have the confidence to ask questions in the presence of such brilliance. Sends me straight to the vomitorium whenever I hear such things. I don’t mean they are all bad, but there is a lot of lazy sleaze out there, just trying to get you in the door and then hand you a boilerplate plan. And some of them will even buy you dinner first.

Like I said, my style is very simple with a few low cost mutual funds and a few div stocks and always with cash on the side. And the cash is finally returning something. It’s not complicated and it does not need to be. I do not want or need to know all that fancy stuff. I just have to understand what I am buying or selling and why. If mistakes are made, I would rather own those mistakes than have to blame them on somebody else.

I have a contact person at Fidelity and although I like her, I will not let go of managing our Boomer Fund. But she’s there if I need her and our heirs know who she is and could need her help — or maybe someday even I will let her help us. I just can’t quite do that yet.

There is also a small firm I like in my hometown. They are independent, but everything goes through Schwab and you can see everything yourself, whenever you log on. I like them for a couple of reasons, one of which is that they have a CPA in with them. I might talk with them further……eventually.

Meanwhile, I’m still at it.

Now, I must leave this post so I can go have a little argument with my other TOTV investment forum old cyberspace friend, retiredguy123. He always has good advice, but I see I need to say my piece about his recent post.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 03-09-2024 at 10:42 PM.
Old 03-09-2024, 11:13 PM
Soaring Parsley
Default ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Personally, I don't think an advisor should be required to report their income to a client. Other people who sell products and services don't disclose their income. The mutual fund prospectus discloses a lot of infomation about the cost of the fund, but most people don't read it. But, even if they did, what difference does it make how much of the cost goes to the advisor? The client still has to pay it.
I know people don’t read the prospectus, but what I was talking about is that a good advisor should know that and want to educate his clients and not just say I told you so in the prospectus.

By that I mean a good advisor should not imply that their only fee is the agreed upon percentage, usually 1% of AUM, if it is not just that. I think that if they are collecting other fees and/or loads, they should point that out in the prospectus, maybe take a highlighter to it. Let the clients do their own math, but let them know where the extra math is if they want to do it.

Like you said, the client is paying, but I bet a lot of them think they are paying just that 1%. I am still recovering from seeing that 4.5% front load on one of my friend’s funds. And that was a serious chunk of change. The only need for a load in this world of so many choices of funds is for a commission. She thinks she is paying just that 1% of AUM.

But I will not give you too hard a time for your opinion. That is because I am a retired high school teacher and we old teachers can’t help thinking everybody should have the opportunity to understand things by getting all the information they need — whether they want to — or not, by golly! ….‘tis an affliction, I know, and I cannot seem to get past it and I want all those financial advisors to educate their clients by being totally transparent about where alllll the fees could be. Informed decisions needed. I do not expect them to work for free, but all cards on the table seems fair.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 03-10-2024 at 12:19 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 03-10-2024, 06:03 AM
Default Understanding compounding your money

Quote:
I have never bought a mutual fund through an advisor. (I buy them but without an advisor in the middle.)

I know that financial advisors often get paid a 1% annual fee of assets under management, which may vary to a lesser percentage on AUM over a certain amount. This part of advisory fees is clear to me…..

But here’s my question: On top of that fee for AUM, do financial advisors also get paid by the mutual funds they sell? Loads seem obvious to me, but what about those other costs and fees that show up inside mutual funds? Does the advisor get a piece of that action, too?

(I tried to learn about this on the FINRA site which has a section that is supposed to help, but I did not get very far.)

If the advisor is being paid by the funds in addition to being paid by the client, should the advisor report that amount to the client to give a clearer picture of the client’s cost of doing business?

I hope someone knowledgeable here will take pity on me and give me the Cliffs Notes answer to my confusion on this. (So far, no advisor for me, but I am thinking, “What if?”)

In other words, in the world of financial advisors, is there icing on that cake that is the fee quoted for AUM? And, if so, where is it in the mutual funds and/or ETFs?

Boomer
First Im not a financial advisor but have worked in the industry for a long time. Read a book titled The Simple Path to Wealth by JL Collins. It’s an easy read and puts the concept of why load funds and high expense fees will hurt your long term returns on investments. Keeping it simple by investing in Index Funds( my favorite is the Sand P 500) can offer you great diversification and the chance to keep your money invested instead of paying out some extra fees. Many large national brokerage firms can offer you these index funds with very low expenses tied to them. I also like the idea that the low turnover rate of buying and selling stocks in an index can be efficient for tax purposes. An advisor can help you decide how much should be stock index funds and how much in fixed income allocations but to me that doesn’t justify the high fees I see in many cases. Enjoy that savings on you or your family. It’s really worth your time to have some understanding of where your money is being invested and knowing that historically low fees generally will equate to better returns. It’s a reason so many load funds and high fees have been going away. Thanks a lot to John Bogle the founder of Vanguard.
Old 03-10-2024, 06:17 AM

Quote:

Boomer
OP:

‘Financial advisor’ is an ambiguous (generic) term so you are getting a variety of comments that may not answer you question. You said that you read the FINRA website. You may have read this FINRA page about advisors:

Investment Advisers | FINRA.org

If you are wanting to find an advisor with no undisclosed agenda to upsell you investments, you might consider a ‘fee-only’ financial planner (e.g., fee-only Certified Financial Planner) who charges customers for their time or a financial planner at a larger organization such as Fidelity (office in Lake Sumter Landing or remote) and Vanguard (remote). If you have enough investments for someone to manage, you might consider a regulated Trust Company. A local one is Sable Trust (office in Lake Sumter Landing and based in the Tampa Bay Area I believe). If you go with the local lot who offer free lunch seminars, caveat emptor (can you say ‘annuities’?).

By the way, the proportion of mutual funds with ‘loads’ is very small compared to 30+ years ago because of competition (lead mainly by Jack Bogle of Vanguard) and the launch of ETFs. Also, there is no evidence that mutual funds with ‘loads’ outperform funds without loads over the long run. There is not a good reason to pay fund loads now.
Old 03-10-2024, 06:45 AM

Quote:

Boomer
Thankfully, people have caught on to the problem of fees and commissions and the types of mutual funds about which you asked are falling by the wayside. It makes little sense to pay an advisor an annual fee of 1% to have him sell you an "actively managed fund which pays the advisor a commission and then charges you an annual fee of, perhaps, 1% of the value of your account or 2+% of the annual gain in the account.

Aside from the fees and commissions, a problem with these funds is that your advisor will be reluctant to move your money from the fund to another which is performing better. At the minimum, an advisor who moves his client from fund to fund is not going to be treated well by the first fund which paid him a commission.

Fortunately, the industry developed "index" funds which you can buy and sell like a stock for no commission. The index might be the general market--the Dow or the S&P 500, or it might be a particular industry, country, or region. If you worked in a particular industry, you might consider an index focused on that industry(oil? transportation? airlines?).

You'll probably be best off putting your money in the S&P 500 or Nasdaq with some in Warren Buffett's Berkshire-Hathaway.

The smart play is to move your accounts to Charles Schwab. It's advisors are as good as any other brokerage's, they are paid a salary and take no commissions, and you can trade at no cost--that's a big contrast to when I started investing in the 60's when commissions took a big chunk out of any gains or made a loss even worse. In addition, you get free checking (including the checks) and a debit card which refunds your ATM fees world-wide.
Old 03-10-2024, 06:49 AM
Veteran member

Most if not all of managed funds do worse than an equivalent index fund. Why fund managers charge loads is because most people investing in the stock market are naive, which is a shame because they need this money to live on in retirement. I have helped over a dozen friends get out of their ‘managed’ environment to something much simpler, much cheaper, with much better earnings. Some of them had to pay over 5% sales load fee when they exited which they never knew they had to pay.
As for fees, if your money is under a broker like fidelity, Schwab, etc, then these institutions get paid from the fund even if you do your own trading. So if I’m with fidelity and I have fidelity manage my money for a 1% fee, fidelity will still earn income from the fund itself.
1 more thing to consider when buying a managed fund, you will be paying more in taxes each year because the turnover of imbedded stocks has a much higher turnover within the fund. Nobody looks at this stat. Some of my friends managed funds had over 400% turnover rate because they are always chasing the market. Whereas index funds have very low turnover rates.
There are many low cost index funds (fees less than .1%, normally around .02%) making 20-30% and more during the last 6 months in low risk holdings, or if you are nervous about the market, you can make over 5% with no risk money market funds.

Tags
advisor, mutual, funds, paid, advisors

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.