renting to own

Closed Thread
Old 11-28-2021, 10:39 AM
Default renting to own

I have done a search of forums but can't find any posts where someone has tried the scheme I am considering. This suggests to me it is probably a stupid idea, but I would be interested in advice.

I am considering buying a three bedroom home in the Villages (none picked out yet) and, as a snowbird, renting it out long term. When my wife and I, or family members, decide to use the house for, say, 3 winter months, the renter would have the use of only one of the three bedrooms plus common areas, but at a greatly reduced rent (similar to an airbnb but at much less cost for the renter). At all other times the renter would have the entire home to use as he (she/they) sees fit, but at closer to normal rental prices (which, again, would be less than it might cost them otherwise)

I do realize it would have to be a perfect fit between the renter(s) and myself, but it sounds like a win-win for us both. It would be an ideal situation if I had a relative or a good friend who wanted to do it.

Comments?
Old 11-28-2021, 10:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

If I was renting I would not agree to have strangers living with me for 3 months.
Old 11-28-2021, 10:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,111 Posts

If a person is capable of paying full price rent on a 3 bedroom , he probably is not going to be interested in living with strangers for 3 months out of year, there are many people who rent a room from someone here mostly for financial reasons but some for company and are unlikely able or want to rent a 3 bedroom full rent for the other 9 months.I don’t understand why I even answered this but by doing so my mind is saying get up and get to gym it’s a football afternoon
Old 11-28-2021, 10:57 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,193 Times in 761 Posts

///

Last edited by MrFlorida; 11-28-2021 at 10:58 AM. Reason: edit
Old 11-28-2021, 10:59 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,193 Times in 761 Posts

Sounds like a bad idea, I would not consider it.
Old 11-28-2021, 11:18 AM

I think this arrangement requires parties with a certain quality and personality -- that of which, I do not possess.

I get claustrophobic just having other homes this close to me, I couldn't imagine having these same random people within my home.

My nephew is 23 and just got his first apartment. He is paying more than his comfort level, but he was adamant that he would rather live more frugally alone than have more money and deal with a co-renter. I thought that was the most logical and adult comment this young man ever made to me -- finally he is growing up.

Again, I think it goes to your personality and risk tolerance. For me, my personality, risk aversion, and desire for some privacy, it ticks a CON on every line in the Pros/Cons checklist.

As to the 9/3 month arrangement, I think this complicates an already untenable situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoungs View Post
I have done a search of forums but can't find any posts where someone has tried the scheme I am considering. This suggests to me it is probably a stupid idea, but I would be interested in advice.

I am considering buying a three bedroom home in the Villages (none picked out yet) and, as a snowbird, renting it out long term. When my wife and I, or family members, decide to use the house for, say, 3 winter months, the renter would have the use of only one of the three bedrooms plus common areas, but at a greatly reduced rent (similar to an airbnb but at much less cost for the renter). At all other times the renter would have the entire home to use as he (she/they) sees fit, but at closer to normal rental prices (which, again, would be less than it might cost them otherwise)

I do realize it would have to be a perfect fit between the renter(s) and myself, but it sounds like a win-win for us both. It would be an ideal situation if I had a relative or a good friend who wanted to do it.

Comments?
Old 11-28-2021, 11:28 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,606 Times in 943 Posts

There’s a reason you haven’t heard of others doing this.
Old 11-28-2021, 11:33 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

Rent it or use it, anything else would be awkward. Our house is empty as I will not rent it out so I can show up anytime.
Old 11-28-2021, 04:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

IMHO, I can't possibly imagine any scenario where what you are suggesting would even be remotely attractive to any renter looking for a year-round situation in TV
Old 11-28-2021, 07:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,717 Times in 5,245 Posts

I agree with other posters. As some smart person once said:

"That idea is loonier than Loony Tunes".
Old 11-28-2021, 07:58 PM
Veteran member

Maybe rent out a bedroom (not your main one) with "house privileges" for the common areas, laundry, etc. It would bring in some funds and not set the tenant's expectation of having the entire house...
Old 11-28-2021, 08:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,017 Times in 1,743 Posts

What you could do since you only want to stay 3 months, rent from someone else for those months, and then you can rent out your property for the whole year.
Old 11-28-2021, 09:12 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

I wouldn’t let friends stay at my house for 3 months much less strangers
Old 11-29-2021, 06:03 AM

I couldn't imagine having a whole life then for three months my landlord lives with me and I have to remember the milk in the fridge isn't mine this month and I have to remind him that I buy the newspaper and its mine.

I think "scheme" is the correct word you used and no sane person would give this a second thought. I'm not sure what this says about me since I actually replied......
Old 11-29-2021, 06:07 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoungs View Post

Comments?
Sharing the common areas? I just have a vision of an old dude lounging around in his boxer shorts and wifebeater t-shirt sitting in your recliner and wanting to watch Gunsmoke reruns while you are there
Closed Thread

Tags
renter, fit, home, renting, cost

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.