Retirement savings - good news, bad news

Closed Thread
Old 06-24-2022, 09:36 AM

Most of our retirement money is in annuities. We have not lost any money. It was a good move.
Old 06-24-2022, 10:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,052 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albany View Post
There really is no reason to post such a snarky reply to the person who honestly discussed his retirement nest egg during this time of upheaval in the markets. And it sounds like he is doing fine, as am I.
Since you didnt quote anyone no way to tell who you are writing about.

IMHO many of us use this type of post as a learning experience to help others.
Old 06-24-2022, 12:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,743 Times in 5,255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post

I agree. Providing facts and opinions about good and bad investments should be part of an "investment talk" forum.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 06-24-2022 at 01:11 PM.
Old 06-24-2022, 01:44 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
If you are happy all is well but would bet the guy who sold u the annuity wishes you had thrown more money at him.
Quote:
You purchased an annuity 55 years ago. Wow that salesman did you a disservice
Quote:
I am sure the salesman who sold this did very well. Hate to see people get taken advantaged of this way

Quote:
There really is no reason to post such a snarky reply to the person who honestly discussed his retirement nest egg during this time of upheaval in the markets. And it sounds like he is doing fine, as am I.

Quote:

Seriously, Stu? Seriously?

Please connect the dots.

Boomer

PS: In fairness though, these quoted posts are not the only ones delivered in that recurring tone of belittling. Smarm and snark are thick around this joint……..

…….Oh my, I think I just wrote a snarky post…….EEK! Sometimes it is just plain contagious and I can’t help it…..
Old 06-24-2022, 01:53 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Guy CJI View Post
Not sure why you would even write this. I read this forum for entertainment value only. If you’re looking for advice, you’ll get both sides of the topic ten times over and maybe even from the same person in different posts. Then you have the comedians that think they’re more clever than everyone else, followed by the curmudgeons that want to try and embarrass you with how smart they are followed by what an idiot you are. The judgmental will evaluate your worth based on your perceived political views and decide to support you or harass you.

If you are happy with your decision 55 years ago I’m very happy for you. If you’re debating with yourself I’d discuss it with a small circle of friends that will be honest with you. Not the mob waiting to pounce.

Yep. Thanks for saving me the time to write pretty much the same thing. And, btw, ‘pounce’ is the operative word there.

Boomer
Old 06-24-2022, 02:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,527 Times in 3,112 Posts

Quote:
Sadly, there's a shot of reality here: some folks aren't capable of feeling good about themselves and their own life choices and circumstances, unless they can demonstrate that others are beneath them.
Old 06-24-2022, 02:20 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

In my experience a rising tide lifts all boats and vice versa. My stocks are down from their January 1, 2022 valuations as well and most of them are dividend paying large solid companies. What happened is that unpredictable Mr. Market altered his valuations of them for many reasons.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 06-24-2022, 03:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Sadly, there's a shot of reality here: some folks aren't capable of feeling good about themselves and their own life choices and circumstances, unless they can demonstrate that others are beneath them.
Do not know what you might have majored in but if psychology you should turn in your degree.
Old 06-24-2022, 03:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,743 Times in 5,255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post

Please connect the dots.

Boomer

PS: In fairness though, these quoted posts are not the only ones delivered in that recurring tone of belittling. Smarm and snark are thick around this joint……..

…….Oh my, I think I just wrote a snarky post…….EEK! Sometimes it is just plain contagious and I can’t help it…..
The tone may be questionable, but I agree with the message. People who sell annuities are not doing their clients any favors. Rather, their purpose is to enrich themselves at the expense of their clients. They do this by presenting inaccurate, distorted, and dishonest information about the product they sell. They have no right to call themselves financial advisors or to seek the trust of clients.
Old 06-24-2022, 03:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post

Please connect the dots.

Boomer

I did not mean to belittle anyone just gave my opinion of an "investment advisor" who gave terrible advise to a client. Thought I was helping others.

I apologize to anyone who thought I was belittling others.
Old 06-24-2022, 04:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,944 Times in 2,463 Posts

I am not in stock market any more an glad cause IMO it going to take big dump and that’s not going to be good for anybody.

Last edited by Topspinmo; 06-25-2022 at 09:09 AM.
Old 06-25-2022, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
The tone may be questionable, but I agree with the message. People who sell annuities are not doing their clients any favors. Rather, their purpose is to enrich themselves at the expense of their clients. They do this by presenting inaccurate, distorted, and dishonest information about the product they sell. They have no right to call themselves financial advisors or to seek the trust of clients.
You are wrong. Not ALL annuities are bad. We have a 4% 5-year FIXED annuity. We paid ZERO fees. No market exposure. Avoids probate. Grows tax deferred unless I choose to take the interest annually (or monthly).

Should all of someone's money be in fixed annuities, of course not. But it's a conservative option that can serve a purpose in anyone's retirement portfolio.
Old 06-25-2022, 06:26 AM
Default Stock

If you can afford to shift a little into a index voo or vti when you hear it's gone down big and wait a year you can make good money. Just look at yahoo finance chart to see where they are in the cycle
Old 06-25-2022, 06:32 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

Most of the stock I bought over the years was my power company in VA. Good dividends that more than pays my electric bill every month and it has gone up every year.
Old 06-25-2022, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bern916 View Post
You are wrong. Not ALL annuities are bad. We have a 4% 5-year FIXED annuity. We paid ZERO fees. No market exposure. Avoids probate. Grows tax deferred unless I choose to take the interest annually (or monthly).

Should all of someone's money be in fixed annuities, of course not. But it's a conservative option that can serve a purpose in anyone's retirement portfolio.
Excellent point
Closed Thread

Tags
news, retirement, annuity, equities, savings

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.