Rooftop Solar no longer growing, temp or perm?

Closed Thread
Old 11-03-2023, 05:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I think people are also starting to realize that the economics do not support solar in many states, I worked in the electric utility industry and had planned on putting solar on our house until I looked at the economics. I would be more inclined to buy into a group or neighborhood GROUND BASED solar field.
It would take a VERY progressive community to start something like that. I doubt that The Villages could bring itself to TRY something like that.
Old 11-03-2023, 05:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobeaston View Post
Wind is already suffering a downturn too. The company that was building wind farms off the coast of New Jersey just pulled out. The brits are limiting how much energy providers can charge for wind energy, and wind energy providers are failing because of it. It's only a matter of time that the wind energy collapses too. The ONLY way either wind or solar survives is with huge government subsidies. If they were economically feasible, they wouldn't need our tax dollars to prop them up.
Our tax dollars propped up the oil and gas industry for YEARS!
Old 11-03-2023, 05:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobeaston View Post
Wind is already suffering a downturn too. The company that was building wind farms off the coast of New Jersey just pulled out. The brits are limiting how much energy providers can charge for wind energy, and wind energy providers are failing because of it. It's only a matter of time that the wind energy collapses too. The ONLY way either wind or solar survives is with huge government subsidies. If they were economically feasible, they wouldn't need our tax dollars to prop them up.

You can probably say same thing about farm subsidies and what albatross that turned in to. Was probably good in 50’s and 60’s, but IMO not now they already deforestation bulldozed the fly over states.
Old 11-03-2023, 05:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
Our tax dollars propped up the oil and gas industry for YEARS!

That’s cause the governments state and federal makes more on gallon of gas than companies. You don’t shoot gifted horse in mouth. You keep it on life support.
Old 11-03-2023, 05:38 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,046 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
New E-vehicle sales in the US is 8% of the total. It is 20% in Europe. So, it seems like the trend is TOWARD E-vehicles. They have many advantages. They accelerate instantly. They decelerate well due to the low center of gravity due to the low-mounted batteries. The engine movement is circular, not up and down like piston engines, and therefore is almost indestructible. In general, they tend to be more reliable than piston engine types.
Unfortunately, no one wants to buy them. Manufacturers are losing a fortune building them and they're sitting on dealer lots.
Old 11-03-2023, 05:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus View Post
Tax incentives run this industry. However, California mandated all new homes must have solar. I know it was talked about in Florida. If states force it on all new homes that will be a boon to the solar industry. However, with interest rates so high new builds will slow to a certain degree.
Or bust for even more leaving?

One day if solar kicks off big they will have to figure out how to limit contrails over Florida path ways. So many planes certain times of year the sun rays are limited where they’re no natural clouds.
Old 11-03-2023, 05:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
New E-vehicle sales in the US is 8% of the total. It is 20% in Europe. So, it seems like the trend is TOWARD E-vehicles. They have many advantages. They accelerate instantly. They decelerate well due to the low center of gravity due to the low-mounted batteries. The engine movement is circular, not up and down like piston engines, and therefore is almost indestructible. In general, they tend to be more reliable than piston engine types.

No, the rich and well to do’s have already maxed out sales. Rest of use can’t afford them or won’t because of limitations vs price. If there are less moving parts that should equal way lower price. But it’s just the opposite. Why market drying up total electric, hybrids do make sense iMO.
Old 11-03-2023, 05:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,087 Times in 2,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I think people are also starting to realize that the economics do not support solar in many states, I worked in the electric utility industry and had planned on putting solar on our house until I looked at the economics. I would be more inclined to buy into a group or neighborhood GROUND BASED solar field.
I looked extensively into signing a contract committing us to one of those. The commitment did not involve any up front investment, but instead required a long term commitment to buy power from the solar farm. The cost of the power we would have committed to was about 105% of the current rate, but was locked into for the term of the contract (20 years). The benefits would be locking in a long term power cost (inflation protection) and arguably helping the environment. Unfortunately, we aren’t planning to own our northern home for anywhere near the term of the contractual commitment. If we wanted to sell our home and get out of the contract, it would be our responsibility to find someone in the area to assume our contract, and that party would have to be approved by the operator of the solar farm (pass their credit check criteria). If we couldn’t find an approved party to assume our contract, we would have been on the hook for the cost of the power after selling the home. In my opinion, that was too much risk, and potentially hassle, to take on for the benefit of inflation protection.
Old 11-03-2023, 09:00 PM
Thanked 1,120 Times in 246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
Bloomberg:
Sunrun Takes $1.2 Billion Charge in Latest Blow to Solar

The promise of the renewable energy industry, underscored by Sunrun Inc.’s acquisition of Vivint Solar three years ago, had investors rushing to jump in. Now, solar stocks are facing a major sell-off, spurring Sunrun to take a $1.2 billion charge to write down the value of its purchase.

The move at the biggest US rooftop solar company comes on the heels of a string of bad news across the sector. SunPower Corp. tumbled 5.6% Wednesday after cutting its full-year guidance due to weaker demand for its rooftop solar systems. SolarEdge Technologies Inc., which makes inverters that allow homes to use solar power, saw its stock plunge more than 20% in late trading Wednesday.
I find it interesting that so many people seem to take delight in seeing someone or some business fail or perform poorly. The Germans have a word for it:
Schadenfreude (/ˈʃɑːdənfrɔɪdə/; German: [ˈʃaːdn̩ˌfʁɔʏ̯də]; literal translation 'harm-joy') is the experience of pleasure, joy, or self-satisfaction that comes from learning of or witnessing the troubles, failures, or humiliation of another. It has been found to be more active in people with low self-esteem.
This behavior appears to be widespread among climate change deniers who are against alternative forms of energy & electric cars (Tesla in particular) & revel in reporting anything negative they can find regarding these subjects.
Old 11-04-2023, 05:28 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChip72 View Post
Incorrect. Wind was under 1% of total energy generation in 2005, not it's over 10% of total energy in the US. That's a mind blowing 400 billion kWh now.
Take a drive through the Midwest. Lots of wind, lots of wind farms.
Closed Thread

Tags
solar, sunrun, rooftop, $1.2, billion

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.