Savings account interest rates

Closed Thread
Old 06-19-2023, 12:22 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,091 Times in 298 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastAndCurious View Post
6-18-23 from Fidelity. Not exactly a bank account but you can get a checkbook to draw from your core account when you need cash. I also like the felxibility of using shorter terms to ladder the funds.
All this is easily done by you online with no need for an expensive account manager.

3mo 6mo 9mo 1yr
CDs (New Issues) 5.35% 5.35% 5.35% 5.45%
BONDS
U.S. Treasury 5.25% 5.30% 5.29% 5.28%
Heck, even the sweep fund at Fidelity is running close to 5% right now.

Just don't be fooled into thinking bonds will save you. My Fidelity adviser talked me into a managed corporate bond portfolio that was supposed to guarantee 3% when banks were paying 0.1% -- with virtually zero risk. Then, the Covid panic hit the next month, and I lost 30% in ONE WEEK. I'm screaming on the phone to my adviser -- "What the hell is going on? Why would anybody in their right mind sell a AAA bond at a 30% discount?".

And yet, they did. But it recovered. Eventually. Six months later, I was a mere $3K down, so I ordered it all back into the sweep fund and closed the managed account. With fees, that little adventure in "safe" returns merely cost me $5K. .

Regardless of what you do, you are exposed to the corruption of the market and the whim of idiots. The stock market is the worst -- you're just trading chips with company names on them that have virtually no underlying value or relationship to the company. If you get a dividend at all, it's just a token, not your slice of the profits.

The truth is, stocks are merely a form of fiat money issued by companies for their own benefit. Yes, I've made a lot of money in the stock market in my life. And I also lost half my entire retirement savings in 2008, invested in such unshakable blue chips as "Sun Trust", with balance sheets that turned out to be outright lies. Wall Street has become a corrupt game of high-stakes liars poker. Don't bet anything you can't afford to lose forever overnight.

Frankly, the crooks have ruined investing for peons like us in retirement. I don't know what else to do at this point but buy real estate to cover inflation and keep the money I need to live on in cash. What are you gonna do? Stack gold coins in your safe? Thank God, at least we're finally getting a measurable rate of interest. Even in a 20% inflation environment, 4% has extended my cash savings 10 years, thereby proving the theory that something is better than nothing.

That'll do.
Old 06-19-2023, 03:58 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Vanguard money market. 5.05 percent.
Old 06-19-2023, 05:28 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,777 Times in 3,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitley View Post
If you have several hundrek k, (first, God Bless) and want to put it into CD's but are afrain of the FDIC, look into CDAR's. Work similar to an ICS account.

U IZ ain't talking to Villagers.

Tags
savings, account, rates, interest, banks

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.